Patterns for underquilt - Hennessey UL asym

  • Patrick
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 7, 2006
      I'm looking to make either a down or primaloft underquilt for my UL
      asym. I'm beginning to think a lightweight 1.8 oz primaloft might be
      all I need, but am interested in two other options.
      1. Cut up my old down comforter and use that to fill (not sure what
      the fill rating is on my comforter - Any ideas?)
      2. Buy 900 fill down and use that.

      I'm concerned about the down getting wet in a blowing rain, which is
      why I'm interested in primaloft. It also seems like it would make the
      project much easier. (Downside: bulk and weight... The underquilt has
      to be light if I am to benefit.)

      Any suggestions.
      I'm also looking for a pattern to guide me.

      Thanks
      Patrick
    • Keith
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 7, 2006
        Take a look at the KickAss quilt:

        http://www.kickassquilts.com/MakeTOC.html

        He doesn't sell kits, but he has all the info you need.

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Patrick" <proe01@...> wrote:

        > I'm looking to make either a down or primaloft underquilt for my UL
        > asym. I'm beginning to think a lightweight 1.8 oz primaloft might be
        > all I need, but am interested in two other options.
        > 1. Cut up my old down comforter and use that to fill (not sure what
        > the fill rating is on my comforter - Any ideas?)
        > 2. Buy 900 fill down and use that.
        >
        > I'm concerned about the down getting wet in a blowing rain, which is
        > why I'm interested in primaloft. It also seems like it would make the
        > project much easier. (Downside: bulk and weight... The underquilt has
        > to be light if I am to benefit.)
        >
        > Any suggestions.
        > I'm also looking for a pattern to guide me.
        >
        > Thanks
        > Patrick

      • Jeff
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 7, 2006
          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Patrick" <proe01@...> wrote:

          > 1. Cut up my old down comforter and use that to fill (not sure
          what
          > the fill rating is on my comforter - Any ideas?)

          Probably no more than 550fp or so. If you're making a whole new
          underquilt rather than adapting that one, you could use the fill
          from the comforter as you get the prototype perfected. Then just
          switch it out with the good down once you get the design you like.

          > 2. Buy 900 fill down and use that.

          I used Ed's 900 fp down for my insulated hammock and am happy with
          it. Obviously more expensive than using what you already have, but
          it's incredibly compressible and light. If weight and bulk are
          worth the cost to you, upgrading is a great thing!

          > I'm concerned about the down getting wet in a blowing rain,
          which is
          > why I'm interested in primaloft. It also seems like it would make
          the
          > project much easier. (Downside: bulk and weight... The underquilt
          has
          > to be light if I am to benefit.)

          I've gotten some ends wet on my underquilt but it's never been a
          problem. Just use DWR and learn to pitch your tarp well and you
          should be ok. If you're still worried, buy or make a Weather Shield
          and you'll have an even more versatile system.

          Primaloft and Polarguard are definitely easier to work with (and
          much less messy) than down, but the quilting part is still tedious.

          > I'm also looking for a pattern to guide me.

          Here's what I did for my kids' underquilts.
          http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeGearKidsHammock.html

          Basically a synthetic JRB w/o the side tie-outs. Just change the
          dimensions and add ladder loops for the HH. It's less involved than
          Patrick's and keeps a basic rectangular shape, so you could use it
          as a top quilt w/ footbox or even put a headhole in it like the No
          Sniveler, but Patrick's design will probably fit better as an
          underquilt.

          And I'll second Patrick - we want pics!

          Jeff
        • Scott Macri
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 7, 2006
            I am in the process of making a warm weather over-quilt so I have been
            searching for some materials as well. The Walmart in my area doesn't have
            anything, but fleece and vinyl.

            Here is a decent website for an over-quilt, it might help get you started: *
            http://tinyurl.com/jbtgz* <http://tinyurl.com/jbtgz>

            I will probably change the over-quilt so it can also be used as an
            under-quilt as well. Polarguard Delta is pretty good I guess. It is
            lighter and more compactable than Polarguard 3D.

            --
            Scott A. Macri
            Trail Name: Mowgli

            On 8/7/06, Patrick <proe01@...> wrote:

            > I'm looking to make either a down or primaloft underquilt for my UL
            > asym. I'm beginning to think a lightweight 1.8 oz primaloft might be
            > all I need, but am interested in two other options.
            > 1. Cut up my old down comforter and use that to fill (not sure what
            > the fill rating is on my comforter - Any ideas?)
            > 2. Buy 900 fill down and use that.
            >
            > I'm concerned about the down getting wet in a blowing rain, which is
            > why I'm interested in primaloft. It also seems like it would make the
            > project much easier. (Downside: bulk and weight... The underquilt has
            > to be light if I am to benefit.)
            >
            > Any suggestions.
            > I'm also looking for a pattern to guide me.
            >
            > Thanks
            > Patrick

          • Patrick
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 8, 2006
              Thanks everyone!

              Great help! Thanks for breaking it down for me, and giving the web
              sites for suppliers. Nice resources to have bookmarked. It might be
              a little while before I get planned/organized and "successfully" make
              mine, but I will post what I have once it is done.

              Thanks again
              Patrick