STLs

  • Keith
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 4 10:32 PM
      Jeff - I just made a pair of STLs, as per the instructions on your
      site. Great idea, great instructions - took me about 20 minutes for
      the pair.

      When I got 'em outside on my tarp, though, it didn't seem like they
      were providing much tension. Certainly less than I'm used to just by
      guyline adjustment...little enough that I don't see that my set
      warrants your warning about covering the stakes with rocks or tying to
      brush.

      I'm worried that maybe the replacement tubes I got at Walmart are
      sub-par? You listed $4 on your site for a set, but the ones I got
      were only $2. Suggestions?
    • Jeff
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 5 6:38 AM
        Glad you liked the instructions! I can't take credit for the idea,
        though - it was donredondo's from Sgt Rock's.

        Maybe the tubes you bought aren't as strong as the ones I used. JRB
        uses even stronger tubes but you have to buy that separately and
        probably in larger quantities. Check out a medical supply store if
        you want some - they have "thera-bands" for rehab exercises that come
        in several different strengths.

        So if you have enough of your tubing left over, you can double the
        tubing on each side...that might help. Oh - and they're designed to
        go on side tie-outs and not the ridgeline. You'll definitely need
        stronger tubing if you put them on the ridgeline.

        Hrm...probably depends on what kind of tarp you have, too. Heavier
        tarps need heavier tubing. Mine work on on the JRB and
        MacCat...haven't tried them on anything heavier.

        Jeff
      • Keith
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 5 10:46 AM
          I got up today and started some belated spring cleaning...I discovered
          one of my wife's old workout "devices" in a closet, and got her
          permission to tear it up :P It's got two really LONG green (better
          color IMO) tubes on it, and they're quite a bit thicker than the
          slingshot tubes. I haven't tried them yet, but I think they might
          solve my tension problem.

          Yeah, I read that you got the idea from somebody else, but your
          instructions (as always) are great!

          If this tubing turns out to be stronger, could they work on the
          ridgeline? I hadn't thought of that, but it's probably a good idea if
          it can be done! I'm putting these on my new GG 9x9, btw - quite a bit
          heavier than the JRB or MacCat.

          > Glad you liked the instructions! I can't take credit for the idea,
          > though - it was donredondo's from Sgt Rock's.
          >
          > Maybe the tubes you bought aren't as strong as the ones I used. JRB
          > uses even stronger tubes but you have to buy that separately and
          > probably in larger quantities. Check out a medical supply store if
          > you want some - they have "thera-bands" for rehab exercises that come
          > in several different strengths.
          >
          > So if you have enough of your tubing left over, you can double the
          > tubing on each side...that might help. Oh - and they're designed to
          > go on side tie-outs and not the ridgeline. You'll definitely need
          > stronger tubing if you put them on the ridgeline.
          >
          > Hrm...probably depends on what kind of tarp you have, too. Heavier
          > tarps need heavier tubing. Mine work on on the JRB and
          > MacCat...haven't tried them on anything heavier.
          >
          > Jeff

        • Jeff
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 5 3:40 PM
            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Keith" <pulse_0ptional@...>
            wrote:

            > If this tubing turns out to be stronger, could they work on the
            > ridgeline?

            I never saw the need - the ones on the ground take up the extra
            slack, so if that works then anything else is just extra weight.
            Plus, the ridgeline ones have to pull AGAINST gravity to keep the
            tarp UP, while the ones on the ground just have to add enough
            tension to pull out the sag.

            But as always, YMMV. Someone on here uses them on the ridgeline but
            I don't remember who - maybe they'll speak up if they're reading.

            > I'm putting these on my new GG 9x9, btw - quite a bit
            > heavier than the JRB or MacCat.

            Yep - hopefully the new tubes will be strong enough, though.

            Jeff