Straps VS Rope

  • Neal
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 4, 2006
      Hey, I found some "arno straps" at IKEA. They are named Herkules
      (everything there has a name) and are rated at 340 kg. The nice thing
      is that the pair only cost $3.50 and weigh only 80 grams each. They
      are each 3.5 meters long so they will weigh less after shortening them
      to "oh-say" maybe 2 meters or 6 feet. I know with no-trace many of us
      are going away from ropes. My thought is to put the strap around the
      tree and tie the lightweight rope to the strap. Is my idea bullshit
      or am I on to something?
      Neal
    • Neal
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 4, 2006
        115 grams for both after shortening to 2 meters each
        Neal
      • Coy
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 4, 2006
          Neal, it is a good idea but not a new one. HH now sells all their hammocks with tree
          huggers which are straps used to hang the rope ridge line from. Several here have made
          thier own tree huggers for use with homemade hammocks with rope or to replace the stock
          HH tree hugger straps if they need really long ones for big trees

          Coy Boy

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Neal" <NealAustin@...> wrote:

          > Hey, I found some "arno straps" at IKEA. They are named Herkules
          > (everything there has a name) and are rated at 340 kg. The nice thing
          > is that the pair only cost $3.50 and weigh only 80 grams each. They
          > are each 3.5 meters long so they will weigh less after shortening them
          > to "oh-say" maybe 2 meters or 6 feet. I know with no-trace many of us
          > are going away from ropes. My thought is to put the strap around the
          > tree and tie the lightweight rope to the strap. Is my idea bullshit
          > or am I on to something?
          > Neal

        • Bill in Houston
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 5, 2006