On Board

  • Ron Bush
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 16, 2003
      Ok, I'll stop lurking too. I'm a 56 y.o. retired guy in Harrison, TN
      (~30 mi. north of Chattanooga). I started hiking last winter with my
      neighbor. We did all of the Bowater Paper Co. pocket wilderness'. Some
      of these offer the most spectacular waterfalls. Anyway, my neighbor soon
      talked me into an overnighter in the Big Frog wilderness. I bought a
      tent and tried it out in the yard and just couldn't see myself crawling
      in and out and sleeping on the ground so I decided to try one of the
      surplus military hammocks. Of course, big mistake. I tipped it over the
      first try! Then I modified it with wooden spreader bars to stabilize it.
      I carried it on the overnighter and was pretty comfortable Then, I
      started thinking seriously about more backpacking, weight etc. I looked
      around some and settled on a Lawson Blueridge when I found a sale on it.
      I replaced the fly with a 10x10 silnylon tarp and I'm very happy with
      the setup now. I bought Ed's book when it came out and I can tell you it
      is a goodun'. I read it through twice then ordered the straps from Ed to
      replace the rope on the Lawson. I've tried the straps now and its
      definitely the way to go. They are easy to tie (wrap) and much lighter
      than the ropes. I guess you would call me a gear head. I lurk on the
      backpacking light, gear test and AT sites and have learned a bunch. I
      made one of the soda can alcohol stoves and that works great. My
      nickname is 'Sandcrab' from my younger days in Pensacola. I'm already
      enjoying and learning from this group.

      Sandcrab

      --
      Note: Anything that appears to be an error in spelling or grammar is actually
      the author's clever use of the vernacular, and thus is a carefully placed