Re: [Hammock Camping] needles

  • Keith
    Message 1 of 19 , Aug 3, 2006
      Scott - I picked it up within about 30 minutes of playing around, once
      I got my machine set up right.

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Scott Macri" <hacktorious@...>

      <http://tinyurl.com/f9wne> from
      > Target tonight. I think I have everything I need to get started. I
      will
      > have to find an old tee shirt to practice on.
      >
      > --
      > Scott A. Macri
      > Trail Name: Mowgli
      > www.HikeHaven.com
      > http://360.yahoo.com/hacktorious
      >
      > On 8/3/06, Shane Steinkamp <shane@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > > You will be the only male person there. Great place to pick up
      chicks,
      > > eh?"
      > > >
      > > > That's funny, my wife told me the same thing earlier today.
      > >
      > > You wife trying to tell you something? ;)
      > >
      > > The classes can be really good. Sometimes they suck. I've taken a
      couple,
      > > and they are very useful, IMO. Even when the instructor sucks, you
      will
      > > learn something.
      > >
      > > They will often try to sell you a sewing machine in the end too.
      > >
      > > That's one of the reasons the classes are so cheap.
      > >
      > > Shane
      > >
      > > Messages in this topic

      > > 6) Reply (via web post)

      Start
      > > a new topic

      > > [image: Yahoo!
      > > You are receiving Individual Emails Change Delivery Settings

      > > Visit Your Group

      Yahoo!

    • fromyosee@aol.com
      Message 2 of 19 , Aug 3, 2006
        Sewing classes. Great idea. I might try that. Although it is also a good
        place to make a fool of yourself, especially if you do not know the basics
        that nearly all 9 year-old girls know!!
        Joe

        In a message dated 8/3/2006 3:51:35 PM Central Standard Time,
        shane@... writes:

        As crazy as it sounds, go take a class at one of the fabric stores. They
        offer classes every so often.

        You will be the only male person there. Great place to pick up chicks, eh?

        Shane

      • jonas4321
        Message 3 of 19 , Aug 3, 2006
          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Shane Steinkamp" <shane@...>
          wrote:

          > As crazy as it sounds, go take a class at one of the fabric stores.
          > They offer classes every so often.
          >
          > You will be the only male person there. Great place to pick up
          > chicks, eh?

          Shane, every time I have walked past those classes (I will refrain
          from admitting how often I am in fabric stores), my wife never had to
          ONCE smack me for leering at the "chicks" in those classes. Which kept
          me out of trouble, but said a lot for the potential as a pick-up spot!

          Seriously, though- you gave great advice to take a class, those people
          teaching will be so happy that a guy took the class they will spend
          all their time with you and you can ask the really stupid questions in
          hushed tones!

          And the sales pitch is not nearly as bad as the ones you get with the
          timeshare. 'Course, nobody ever gave me a coupon for a steak dinner
          for taking the sewing class...

          Jonas
        • Keith
          Message 4 of 19 , Aug 3, 2006
            You guys do what you want, but I'm having a ball!! Using the machine
            seems like second nature after only a couple of days of DIY stuff. Of
            course, I've been hand-stitching for quite a while, and I don't really
            care how stuff LOOKS when I get done, I just want it to WORK. But.
            No classes for me!! Especially not if they cost (as Scott mentioned)
            $140....that's a lot of gear money!!

            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "jonas4321" <jonas4321@...> wrote:

            > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Shane Steinkamp" <shane@>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > As crazy as it sounds, go take a class at one of the fabric stores.
            > > They offer classes every so often.
            > >
            > > You will be the only male person there. Great place to pick up
            > > chicks, eh?
            >
            > Shane, every time I have walked past those classes (I will refrain
            > from admitting how often I am in fabric stores), my wife never had to
            > ONCE smack me for leering at the "chicks" in those classes. Which kept
            > me out of trouble, but said a lot for the potential as a pick-up spot!
            >
            > Seriously, though- you gave great advice to take a class, those people
            > teaching will be so happy that a guy took the class they will spend
            > all their time with you and you can ask the really stupid questions in
            > hushed tones!
            >
            > And the sales pitch is not nearly as bad as the ones you get with the
            > timeshare. 'Course, nobody ever gave me a coupon for a steak dinner
            > for taking the sewing class...
            >
            > Jonas

          • Scott Schroeder
            Message 5 of 19 , Aug 4, 2006
              Scott,
              If you don' do a class, pick up a cheap book (Singer has a good one)
              that explains the basics of sewing. I have one that explains correct
              tension, different settings, and all the different types of stitches
              you might need. But, all in all, it isn't really that hard for most
              gear you might make, especially if you don't care what your stitching
              looks like LOL

              Scott

              On 8/3/06, Scott Macri <hacktorious@...> wrote:
              > She might be. She picked up a class schedule for me. LOL
              >
              > Sheesh, the classes are $140. I think I might just learn by doing for right
              > now.
              >
              > I ended up getting a somewhat cheap Singer <http://tinyurl.com/f9wne> from
              > Target tonight. I think I have everything I need to get started. I will
              > have to find an old tee shirt to practice on.
              >
              > --
              > Scott A. Macri
              > Trail Name: Mowgli
              > www.HikeHaven.com
              > http://360.yahoo.com/hacktorious
            • Scott Macri
              Message 6 of 19 , Aug 4, 2006
                A book sounds like a good idea for me. Much less expensive than taking a
                class. The classes are spread over 1 month. I could probably read the book
                over 1 weekend.

                --

                On 8/4/06, Scott Schroeder <schrochem@...> wrote:

                > Scott,
                > If you don' do a class, pick up a cheap book (Singer has a good one)
                > that explains the basics of sewing. I have one that explains correct
                > tension, different settings, and all the different types of stitches
                > you might need. But, all in all, it isn't really that hard for most
                > gear you might make, especially if you don't care what your stitching
                > looks like LOL
                >
                > Scott

              • Jeff
                Message 7 of 19 , Aug 4, 2006
                  wrote:

                  > 'Course, nobody ever gave me a coupon for a steak dinner
                  > for taking the sewing class...

                  Shoot - we got 3 nights in a hotel and free tickets to Disney for 2
                  timeshare presentations. Ended up with a 5 day vacation to three
                  parks for about $400 total for four of us. No hammocks, though...

                  Jeff
                • Chuck Haak
                  Message 8 of 19 , Aug 4, 2006
                    >Joe wrote:

                    > Although it is also a good place to make a fool of yourself,

                    Hey Joe,

                    I would guess that any male would be expected to look foolish in a sewing
                    class. I did it the easy way, my wife taught me. Actually though, I recently
                    took a community college guitar class that had a sewing class going on next
                    door. The guys in the sewing class looked like they were doing fine. That
                    also brings up the notion (sewing pun) that you might check out the
                    community college adult education classes.

                    Chuck

                    .

                    <http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=97359714&grpId=8969804&grpspId=1600065843&msgId
                    =15091&stime=1154671978&nc1=1&nc2=2&nc3=3>

                  • Scott Macri
                    Message 9 of 19 , Aug 4, 2006
                      My wife cannot sew. Fortunately she started taking cooking classes. LOL

                      I don't think she has an interest in sewing. Next she will be asking me to
                      make her clothes. LOL

                      Message 10 of 19 , Aug 4, 2006
                        My wife can't sew either. Since I've started making gear, I've
                        already been "asked" to hem 4 pairs of pants and repair a purse strap :|

                        Oh well....it's still worth it!

                        wrote:

                        > My wife cannot sew. Fortunately she started taking cooking classes.
                        LOL

                        > I don't think she has an interest in sewing. Next she will be
                        asking me to
                        > make her clothes. LOL
                        >
                        > --
                        > Scott A. Macri
                        > Trail Name: Mowgli
                        > www.HikeHaven.com
                        > http://360.yahoo.com/hacktorious
                        >
                        > On 8/4/06, Chuck Haak <chuckhaak@...> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > >Joe wrote:
                        > >
                        > > > Although it is also a good place to make a fool of yourself,
                        > >
                        > > Hey Joe,
                        > >
                        > > I would guess that any male would be expected to look foolish in a
                        sewing
                        > > class. I did it the easy way, my wife taught me. Actually though, I
                        > > recently
                        > > took a community college guitar class that had a sewing class going on
                        > > next
                        > > door. The guys in the sewing class looked like they were doing
                        fine. That
                        > > also brings up the notion (sewing pun) that you might check out the
                        > > community college adult education classes.
                        > >
                        > > Chuck
                        > >
                        > > .
                        > >
                        > > <

                        http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=97359714&grpId=8969804&grpspId=1600065843&msgId
                        > > =15091&stime=1154671978&nc1=1&nc2=2&nc3=3>

                      • Shane Steinkamp
                        Message 11 of 19 , Aug 4, 2006
                          > Sheesh, the classes are $140. I think I might just learn by doing for
                          right
                          > now.

                          That's a lot of thread... You'll learn to sew all kinds of stuff though.
                          Making your own clothes is fun.

                          > I ended up getting a somewhat cheap Singer <http://tinyurl.com/f9wne> from
                          > Target tonight. I think I have everything I need to get started. I will
                          > have to find an old tee shirt to practice on.

                          That will be good, so long as the material isn't too heavy. Looks like a
                          good starter machine.

                          Shane
                        • Shane Steinkamp
                          Message 12 of 19 , Aug 4, 2006
                            > Sewing classes. Great idea. I might try that. Although it is also a
                            good
                            > place to make a fool of yourself, especially if you do not know the
                            basics
                            > that nearly all 9 year-old girls know!!

                            I grew up sewing and cooking and cleaning. It's a wonder I didn't end up
                            gay, eh?

                            Shane
                          • Rat
                            Message 13 of 19 , Aug 5, 2006
                              I have a surger, but I don't use it much. I use a rolled hem and
                              that has worked fine for me. I tried the surger but it is a LOT of
                              extra work, thread and hassle. Not to mention more weight due to the
                              thred. A surger lays down about 3X the thread per inch as a regular
                              straight stitch. Sear the edges or roll the hem, much easier!

                              Rat

                              wrote:

                              > > Sewing classes. Great idea. I might try that. Although it is
                              also a
                              > good
                              > > place to make a fool of yourself, especially if you do not know
                              the
                              > basics
                              > > that nearly all 9 year-old girls know!!
                              >
                              > I grew up sewing and cooking and cleaning. It's a wonder I didn't
                              end up
                              > gay, eh?
                              >
                              > Shane

                            • Frank Looper
                              Message 14 of 19 , Aug 5, 2006
                                I have a surger, but I don't use it much. I use a rolled hem and
                                that has worked fine for me. I tried the surger but it is a LOT of
                                extra work, thread and hassle. Not to mention more weight due to the
                                thred. A surger lays down about 3X the thread per inch as a regular
                                straight stitch. Sear the edges or roll the hem, much easier!

                                Rat

                                ---

                                A French roll seam is great. There's also a fake French roll, but the
                                original isn't hard if you use pins.

                                The other use for a serger is for stretchability, but a zig-zag does
                                about as good. And I can still use my cheaper machine

                                Frank