First DIY!!

  • Keith
    Message 1 of 34 , Aug 3, 2006
      Hey guys! Just in case you're interested, I finished my first 'real'
      DIY project last night.

      The pack I've been working on (and since finished) is a pretty
      intensive project, but it was already 'done' when I got it; I just had
      to rip some seams, sew 'em back up, and add a few straps. I will have
      pix of it up as soon as the guy I made it for gives me the OK (it's
      his design).

      Anyway, I got my GG 9x9 tarp yesterday. I wanted to use my #2
      snakeskins on it instead of on my hammock. Why? I'm assuming my
      hammock won't be wet when I pack it. The tarp might. The skins
      should keep the wet tarp from soaking everything in my pack.

      The problem was that the skins were too short. I had a few decent
      size scraps of silnylon laying around, so I thought - why not make one
      of them longer? So I did. The finished extension (not counting the
      seams) is ~32". This gives about 6" of overlap with the other skin.
      I've put pix up on my 360 page:

      http://360.yahoo.com/my_profile.html;_ylt=Aj3LX95vVpir6QNA1ntmeZu0AOJ3

      It's in the HH photos folder. Somebody let me know if this link works
      or not? I think I posted the wrong one last time...
    • jonas4321
      Message 34 of 34 , Aug 7, 2006
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Keith" <pulse_0ptional@...> wrote:

        > Also, I don't think the bags will withstand touching the side of a
        > pot, so you have to sit and suspend the bag in the pot so that it
        > only touches water.

        The bag can withstand the heat of the pot below the waterline. I just
        get the air out and submerge the bag. Also, I heat the water to a
        boil, remove the pot, switch the stove to simmer, add the bag, return
        the pot to the stove (or to a cozy if re-heat is all that is needed).
        It does not have to boil while cooking, just simmer, so the sides of
        the pot don't get that hot above the waterline.

        It took me several failures to learn how, though! But, I love
        experimentation, which is another reason I like hammock camping.

        There, I somehow related this back to hammocks. I feel better ;^)