needles

  • Scott Macri
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 3, 2006
      What type/size needles are recommended for making a hammock? I am new to
      sewing so I don't know anything yet. Thanks.

      --
      Scott A. Macri
      Trail Name: Mowgli

    • Keith
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 3, 2006
        I'm new to sewing too...the machine I'm borrowing had a needle in it
        when I got it, but I haven't figured out how to remove it yet, so I
        don't know what size it is. It's definitely a sharp, and it looks
        pretty heavy....at least heavier than the hand needles I'm used to.
        I've used it for pack cloth, webbing, and silnylon so far and it's
        worked great.

        Like Scott, I could use some info on machine stuff if anybody wants to
        volunteer...thread and needle types especially. And maybe some good
        places to order such things online?

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Scott Macri" <hacktorious@...>
        wrote:

        > What type/size needles are recommended for making a hammock? I am
        new to
        > sewing so I don't know anything yet. Thanks.
        >
        > --
        > Scott A. Macri
        > Trail Name: Mowgli
        > www.HikeHaven.com
        > http://360.yahoo.com/hacktorious

      • Jeff
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 3, 2006
          wrote:

          > What type/size needles are recommended for making a hammock? I am
          new to
          > sewing so I don't know anything yet. Thanks.

          This link will tell you most everything you need to know to get
          started. There's a blurb on needles, too.

          http://www.geocities.com/gengvall/sew/sew.html

          Jeff
        • Leo Hartley
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 4, 2006
            Would an overlocker be a useful tool in making hammocks?
          • Coy
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 4, 2006
              overlocker? I did a search and I think this is the same thing as a surger. My guess is it
              would be great for hemming edges such as tarps and hammocks sides. most folks i know
              who have them sew curtians.

              Coy Boy