hike Auge 14 thru16

  • Coy
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 3, 2006
      hello gang.

      Anyone up to a hike in hooooot weather?

      Dave, Cody (my son) and I are in the planning stages for a hike in
      mid Aug in Northeast Ga. in the Conasauga and Jacks River area. So
      far the plan is to meet (at a place to be determined at around 8 Am
      Aug 14th in or around Dalton or Chatsworth Ga. Maybe grab a quick
      bite of breakfast then head to the trail head (Rice Camp). The hike
      would end sometime Wed afternoon if all goes well. There is always
      a chance of getting stranded by flash floods but as dry as it has
      been it would take a lot of rain to cause problems. Reguardless,
      plan for 2 nights but with maybe a little extra food just in case.
      Dave is the trip leader but anyone familiar with the area might want
      to suggest a better route/plan. Here is what Dave has worked out so
      far.

      There are options on which trails to
      take and it looks like there are several opportunities to change
      them on the fly, but the ones I had picked at this point are
      clockwise from the parking area at the Rice Camp Trail trailhead in
      this order:

      Hickory Creek Trail- 5.8 miles.
      Conasauga River Trail- 0.5 miles.
      Panther Creek Trail- 3.4 miles.
      East Cowpen Trail- 2.0 miles.
      Rough Ridge Trail- 2.1 miles.
      Sugar Cove Trail- 2.3 miles.
      Jacks River Trail- 6.3 miles.
      Rice Camp Trail- 3.9 miles.

      That is a total of 26.3 miles with quite a few river crossings.
      There are water falls on both the Panther Creek Trail and the Jacks
      River Trail.

      Email either me or Dave Womble if interested. We will put you in
      the loop for planning it all.

      Coy Boy
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 3, 2006
        Coy,

        I messed up and said clockwise when I should have said counter
        clockwise. Also it is in the Cohutta Wilderness Area and the hike
        requires several wet fords of those rivers.

        Dave

        > hello gang.
        >
        > Anyone up to a hike in hooooot weather?
        >
        > Dave, Cody (my son) and I are in the planning stages for a hike in
        > mid Aug in Northeast Ga. in the Conasauga and Jacks River area.
        So
        > far the plan is to meet (at a place to be determined at around 8
        Am
        > Aug 14th in or around Dalton or Chatsworth Ga. Maybe grab a quick
        > bite of breakfast then head to the trail head (Rice Camp). The
        hike
        > would end sometime Wed afternoon if all goes well. There is
        always
        > a chance of getting stranded by flash floods but as dry as it has
        > been it would take a lot of rain to cause problems. Reguardless,
        > plan for 2 nights but with maybe a little extra food just in
        case.
        > Dave is the trip leader but anyone familiar with the area might
        want
        > to suggest a better route/plan. Here is what Dave has worked out
        so
        > far.
        >

        > There are options on which trails to
        > take and it looks like there are several opportunities to change
        > them on the fly, but the ones I had picked at this point are
        > clockwise from the parking area at the Rice Camp Trail trailhead
        in
        > this order:
        >
        > Hickory Creek Trail- 5.8 miles.
        > Conasauga River Trail- 0.5 miles.
        > Panther Creek Trail- 3.4 miles.
        > East Cowpen Trail- 2.0 miles.
        > Rough Ridge Trail- 2.1 miles.
        > Sugar Cove Trail- 2.3 miles.
        > Jacks River Trail- 6.3 miles.
        > Rice Camp Trail- 3.9 miles.
        >
        > That is a total of 26.3 miles with quite a few river crossings.
        > There are water falls on both the Panther Creek Trail and the
        Jacks
        > River Trail.
        >
        > Email either me or Dave Womble if interested. We will put you in
        > the loop for planning it all.
        >
        > Coy Boy

      • Keith
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 3, 2006
          Man, that sounds great....unfortunately, the 14th is the first day of
          classes for the fall semester :(

          Let me know the next time you guys do something like this though -
          I'll definitely be up for it if I can get the time! Weekends are
          going to be about it for the next couple of months, but I don't have
          Friday classes, so I'm available Thursday afternoons through Sunday
          evenings. Thanks for the heads up anyway!

          > hello gang.
          >
          > Anyone up to a hike in hooooot weather?
          >
          > Dave, Cody (my son) and I are in the planning stages for a hike in
          > mid Aug in Northeast Ga. in the Conasauga and Jacks River area. So
          > far the plan is to meet (at a place to be determined at around 8 Am
          > Aug 14th in or around Dalton or Chatsworth Ga. Maybe grab a quick
          > bite of breakfast then head to the trail head (Rice Camp). The hike
          > would end sometime Wed afternoon if all goes well. There is always
          > a chance of getting stranded by flash floods but as dry as it has
          > been it would take a lot of rain to cause problems. Reguardless,
          > plan for 2 nights but with maybe a little extra food just in case.
          > Dave is the trip leader but anyone familiar with the area might want
          > to suggest a better route/plan. Here is what Dave has worked out so
          > far.
          >

          > There are options on which trails to
          > take and it looks like there are several opportunities to change
          > them on the fly, but the ones I had picked at this point are
          > clockwise from the parking area at the Rice Camp Trail trailhead in
          > this order:
          >
          > Hickory Creek Trail- 5.8 miles.
          > Conasauga River Trail- 0.5 miles.
          > Panther Creek Trail- 3.4 miles.
          > East Cowpen Trail- 2.0 miles.
          > Rough Ridge Trail- 2.1 miles.
          > Sugar Cove Trail- 2.3 miles.
          > Jacks River Trail- 6.3 miles.
          > Rice Camp Trail- 3.9 miles.
          >
          > That is a total of 26.3 miles with quite a few river crossings.
          > There are water falls on both the Panther Creek Trail and the Jacks
          > River Trail.
          >
          > Email either me or Dave Womble if interested. We will put you in
          > the loop for planning it all.
          >
          > Coy Boy

        • Scott Macri
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 3, 2006
            I would love to go, but I already have plans. Maybe we can mee halfway
            sometime for a hike. It would be somewhere in NC.

            --
            Scott A. Macri
            Trail Name: Mowgli