Howls (was Re: Gear hammock/pack cover)

  • WEden
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 2 9:53 PM
      From running 'yotes and hearing them while working all kinds of hounds
      and terriers or while in the woods for various reasons, I can tell you
      they have an incredibly wide range of voices. I can't remember where
      you said you were, but here in the east they have begun to run in small,
      family packs and the voicing/calls are incredible. We had a pack near
      Fort Dobbs in NC this past April that scared the bejeebus out of some of
      the city folks reenacting with us; they were just across the field and
      raising holy cain. The howl mp3 you linked sounds like a cut version of
      a 'yote howl. The other one could be anything -- even an armadillo;
      I've stalked armadillos thinking they were wild hogs many times.

      It sends chills up your spine when you hear them, for sure. I
      personally like it; it's a sign that nature is replacing what we wiped
      out; filling the ecological niches that we opened up. Hearing a bobcat,
      or even better, a panther scream while you're out does the same thing
      for me.

      Wynne Eden

      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 2 10:23 PM
        I was in Shenandoah National Park.

        I agree, it is nice to hear. It is much nicer if you know what it is
        though. LOL I especially like listening to the birds as the sun is coming
        up. There is one particular bird I heard, which I have not yet identified.
        It is much easier to identify if you see them, but many times that isn't an
        option.

        PS:
        I put a nice photo of Bigfoot, for you, in my photos under, "AAA Mowgli
        Photos <http://tinyurl.com/lubye>". Enjoy!!!!!