Re: Hammock recommendation Amazon vacation midwest USA living

  • Bill in Houston
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 2, 2006
      I think Rat meant not to put DEET on the hammock. You definitely
      gotta put it on yourself, though.

      And on the hammock body and netting, definitely use permethrin to
      keep them from biting through it.

      Bill in Houston

      > # I'm gona suggest that for a short period of time (2 weeks)it
      would
      > be better to use some DEET if you find the non DEET stuff isnt
      > working. I would take the spray kind over the liquid because it
      is
      > easier to apply by yourself and you can keep it off your hands
      > easier. Then for my face and hands I would uses on of the more
      > friendly bug repellants. I would also use Pemethrin treated
      clothes
      > but you may want to wear short pants and short sleeve shirts
      some.
      > This would be the time for the spray DEET.
      >
      > BTW Dave had some insect repellant on our last trip that used one
      of
      > th newer ingrediants used in europe for a while. Even friendlier
      > than the non DEET stuff i have used. Maybe he will read this and
      > supply the name...not only do I need glasses, my memory aint all
      > that good.
      >

      > > Speer has a bug net option that is semi attached (Hook and
      Loop),

      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 2, 2006
        > This would be the time for the spray DEET.
        >
        > BTW Dave had some insect repellant on our last trip that used one of
        > th newer ingrediants used in europe for a while. Even friendlier
        > than the non DEET stuff i have used. Maybe he will read this and
        > supply the name...not only do I need glasses, my memory aint all
        > that good.

        Coy,

        It is Picaridin that is suppose to be a replacement for DEET. I have
        seen it in 7% and 15% solutions. I don't find it objectionable but
        that isn't all that strong of solutions, I think that is equivalent to
        about the same strength DEET. I was at Springer Mtn in late June and
        it didn't keep the gnats away from me while some other folks said
        their DEET based Back Woods Off did... I was using the 15% Cutter
        Advanced Picaridin spray and their Back Woods Off DEET was probably 2
        or 3 times stronger. Anyhow, that didn't make me feel as good about
        it as I was hoping I would. The gnats go away when it gets dark but
        7% solution bottle does say it repels gnats, it didn't for me.

        Dave
      • Rat
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 3, 2006
          Yes, I meant no DEET on the hammock body, or any part of the
          hammock. In fact, don't use anything that is solvent based on the
          hammock, as in cleaners etc.

          I use Cactus Juice BTW. Good stuff. http://www.cactusjuicetm.com/
          All it has is oil and cactus extract (Prickly Pear).

          Rat