Re: Hammock recommendation Amazon vacation midwest USA living

  • Coy
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 2 7:16 PM
      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Rat" <hogn8r2004@...> wrote:

      > This could cover a lot of ground, but I'm just going to hit the
      > basics from my POV.
      >
      > Bug protection: You will need good bug protection in both
      locations.
      > The 'skeeters and biting flies in Canada will drive you BONKERS!
      For no fuss no muss set up the Hennessey Hammock
      > http://www.hennessyhammock.com/ is a great chioce. The bug net is
      > attached permanently and does a great job at keeping the buggers
      > out. Just make sure to get heavy enough cloth to keep them from
      > biting throuigh the hammock body, or use Permethrine, DO NOT USE A
      > DEET BASED REPELLENT, to keep 'em at bay. One app will be enough
      for many weeks.

      # I'm gona suggest that for a short period of time (2 weeks)it would
      be better to use some DEET if you find the non DEET stuff isnt
      working. I would take the spray kind over the liquid because it is
      easier to apply by yourself and you can keep it off your hands
      easier. Then for my face and hands I would uses on of the more
      friendly bug repellants. I would also use Pemethrin treated clothes
      but you may want to wear short pants and short sleeve shirts some.
      This would be the time for the spray DEET.

      BTW Dave had some insect repellant on our last trip that used one of
      th newer ingrediants used in europe for a while. Even friendlier
      than the non DEET stuff i have used. Maybe he will read this and
      supply the name...not only do I need glasses, my memory aint all
      that good.

      > Speer has a bug net option that is semi attached (Hook and Loop),
      > which is nice for the rain down-time. Rain=no bugs, remove bug net
      > and chill in the hammock while it passes.
      > http://www.speerhammocks.com/

      > Rat
      >
      > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "rangersedge"
      > <rangersedge@> wrote:
      Any advice you
      > could
      > > provide would be appreciated.

    • Bill in Houston
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 2 8:00 PM
        I think Rat meant not to put DEET on the hammock. You definitely
        gotta put it on yourself, though.

        And on the hammock body and netting, definitely use permethrin to
        keep them from biting through it.

        Bill in Houston

        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 2 8:30 PM
          > This would be the time for the spray DEET.
          >
          > BTW Dave had some insect repellant on our last trip that used one of
          > th newer ingrediants used in europe for a while. Even friendlier
          > than the non DEET stuff i have used. Maybe he will read this and
          > supply the name...not only do I need glasses, my memory aint all
          > that good.

          Coy,

          It is Picaridin that is suppose to be a replacement for DEET. I have
          seen it in 7% and 15% solutions. I don't find it objectionable but
          that isn't all that strong of solutions, I think that is equivalent to
          about the same strength DEET. I was at Springer Mtn in late June and
          it didn't keep the gnats away from me while some other folks said
          their DEET based Back Woods Off did... I was using the 15% Cutter
          Advanced Picaridin spray and their Back Woods Off DEET was probably 2
          or 3 times stronger. Anyhow, that didn't make me feel as good about
          it as I was hoping I would. The gnats go away when it gets dark but
          7% solution bottle does say it repels gnats, it didn't for me.

          Dave
        • Rat
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 3 8:31 PM
            Yes, I meant no DEET on the hammock body, or any part of the
            hammock. In fact, don't use anything that is solvent based on the
            hammock, as in cleaners etc.

            I use Cactus Juice BTW. Good stuff. http://www.cactusjuicetm.com/
            All it has is oil and cactus extract (Prickly Pear).

            Rat