Re: Hammock recommendation Amazon vacation midwest USA living

  • Rat
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 2, 2006
      This could cover a lot of ground, but I'm just going to hit the
      basics from my POV.

      Bug protection: You will need good bug protection in both locations.
      The 'skeeters and biting flies in Canada will drive you BONKERS! For
      no fuss no muss set up the Hennessey Hammock
      http://www.hennessyhammock.com/ is a great chioce. The bug net is
      attached permanently and does a great job at keeping the buggers
      out. Just make sure to get heavy enough cloth to keep them from
      biting throuigh the hammock body, or use Permethrine, DO NOT USE A
      DEET BASED REPELLENT, to keep 'em at bay. One app will be enough for
      many weeks.

      Speer has a bug net option that is semi attached (Hook and Loop),
      which is nice for the rain down-time. Rain=no bugs, remove bug net
      and chill in the hammock while it passes.
      http://www.speerhammocks.com/

      another good option is the ENO Guardian. Let's say the big boat
      breaks down on the Amazon trip. No problem. One of the crew hands
      jumps in the dingy and runs down river to the docks to get the part
      to repair it. But, it's gonna take three days, lounging around the
      boat deck could be pretty grueling. But if you can string the
      hammock, with the Guardian, you will be able to either sit or lay
      down. It is big enough to use the hammock as a chair where others
      aren't, and still afford full bug protection.
      http://www.eaglesnestoutfittersinc.com/guardian-bug-net.html

      The Amazon trip sounds cool BTW.

      Rat

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "rangersedge"
      <rangersedge@...> wrote:

      > I've never joined a yahoo group so this is my first post and
      experience
      > with this. I did do a search, but situations I found weren't
      exactly
      > the same so seeking specific advice.
      >
      > I live in southern Illinois and camp out some around here some
      (mainly
      > in winter to avoid bugs and heat). Next year, I plan to go to
      Iquatoes
      > Peru and head up the Amazon on a two week fishing / camping /
      exploring
      > trip. Avoiding bugs is a significant interest on that trip.
      Staying
      > off the ground and whatever might want to bite me there is
      another.
      > There is a probability that I might also go to Canada fishing the
      > following year. I'm interested in a hammock that would be
      suitable for
      > all these situations. I'm considering the Clark; but am very open
      > all suggestions. I've only hammock camped once. Any advice you
      could
      > provide would be appreciated.

    • Coy
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 2, 2006
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Rat" <hogn8r2004@...> wrote:

        > This could cover a lot of ground, but I'm just going to hit the
        > basics from my POV.
        >
        > Bug protection: You will need good bug protection in both
        locations.
        > The 'skeeters and biting flies in Canada will drive you BONKERS!
        For no fuss no muss set up the Hennessey Hammock
        > http://www.hennessyhammock.com/ is a great chioce. The bug net is
        > attached permanently and does a great job at keeping the buggers
        > out. Just make sure to get heavy enough cloth to keep them from
        > biting throuigh the hammock body, or use Permethrine, DO NOT USE A
        > DEET BASED REPELLENT, to keep 'em at bay. One app will be enough
        for many weeks.

        # I'm gona suggest that for a short period of time (2 weeks)it would
        be better to use some DEET if you find the non DEET stuff isnt
        working. I would take the spray kind over the liquid because it is
        easier to apply by yourself and you can keep it off your hands
        easier. Then for my face and hands I would uses on of the more
        friendly bug repellants. I would also use Pemethrin treated clothes
        but you may want to wear short pants and short sleeve shirts some.
        This would be the time for the spray DEET.

        BTW Dave had some insect repellant on our last trip that used one of
        th newer ingrediants used in europe for a while. Even friendlier
        than the non DEET stuff i have used. Maybe he will read this and
        supply the name...not only do I need glasses, my memory aint all
        that good.

        > Speer has a bug net option that is semi attached (Hook and Loop),
        > which is nice for the rain down-time. Rain=no bugs, remove bug net
        > and chill in the hammock while it passes.
        > http://www.speerhammocks.com/

        > Rat
        >
        > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "rangersedge"
        > <rangersedge@> wrote:
        Any advice you
        > could
        > > provide would be appreciated.

      • Bill in Houston
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 2, 2006
          I think Rat meant not to put DEET on the hammock. You definitely
          gotta put it on yourself, though.

          And on the hammock body and netting, definitely use permethrin to
          keep them from biting through it.

          Bill in Houston

          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 2, 2006
            > This would be the time for the spray DEET.
            >
            > BTW Dave had some insect repellant on our last trip that used one of
            > th newer ingrediants used in europe for a while. Even friendlier
            > than the non DEET stuff i have used. Maybe he will read this and
            > supply the name...not only do I need glasses, my memory aint all
            > that good.

            Coy,

            It is Picaridin that is suppose to be a replacement for DEET. I have
            seen it in 7% and 15% solutions. I don't find it objectionable but
            that isn't all that strong of solutions, I think that is equivalent to
            about the same strength DEET. I was at Springer Mtn in late June and
            it didn't keep the gnats away from me while some other folks said
            their DEET based Back Woods Off did... I was using the 15% Cutter
            Advanced Picaridin spray and their Back Woods Off DEET was probably 2
            or 3 times stronger. Anyhow, that didn't make me feel as good about
            it as I was hoping I would. The gnats go away when it gets dark but
            7% solution bottle does say it repels gnats, it didn't for me.

            Dave
          • Rat
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 3, 2006
              Yes, I meant no DEET on the hammock body, or any part of the
              hammock. In fact, don't use anything that is solvent based on the
              hammock, as in cleaners etc.

              I use Cactus Juice BTW. Good stuff. http://www.cactusjuicetm.com/
              All it has is oil and cactus extract (Prickly Pear).

              Rat