Hammock recommendation Amazon vacation midwest USA living

  • rangersedge
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 2 5:12 PM
      I've never joined a yahoo group so this is my first post and experience
      with this. I did do a search, but situations I found weren't exactly
      the same so seeking specific advice.

      I live in southern Illinois and camp out some around here some (mainly
      in winter to avoid bugs and heat). Next year, I plan to go to Iquatoes
      Peru and head up the Amazon on a two week fishing / camping / exploring
      trip. Avoiding bugs is a significant interest on that trip. Staying
      off the ground and whatever might want to bite me there is another.
      There is a probability that I might also go to Canada fishing the
      following year. I'm interested in a hammock that would be suitable for
      all these situations. I'm considering the Clark; but am very open to
      all suggestions. I've only hammock camped once. Any advice you could
      provide would be appreciated.
    • Rat
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 2 6:28 PM
        This could cover a lot of ground, but I'm just going to hit the
        basics from my POV.

        Bug protection: You will need good bug protection in both locations.
        The 'skeeters and biting flies in Canada will drive you BONKERS! For
        no fuss no muss set up the Hennessey Hammock
        http://www.hennessyhammock.com/ is a great chioce. The bug net is
        attached permanently and does a great job at keeping the buggers
        out. Just make sure to get heavy enough cloth to keep them from
        biting throuigh the hammock body, or use Permethrine, DO NOT USE A
        DEET BASED REPELLENT, to keep 'em at bay. One app will be enough for
        many weeks.

        Speer has a bug net option that is semi attached (Hook and Loop),
        which is nice for the rain down-time. Rain=no bugs, remove bug net
        and chill in the hammock while it passes.
        http://www.speerhammocks.com/

        another good option is the ENO Guardian. Let's say the big boat
        breaks down on the Amazon trip. No problem. One of the crew hands
        jumps in the dingy and runs down river to the docks to get the part
        to repair it. But, it's gonna take three days, lounging around the
        boat deck could be pretty grueling. But if you can string the
        hammock, with the Guardian, you will be able to either sit or lay
        down. It is big enough to use the hammock as a chair where others
        aren't, and still afford full bug protection.
        http://www.eaglesnestoutfittersinc.com/guardian-bug-net.html

        The Amazon trip sounds cool BTW.

        Rat

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "rangersedge"
        <rangersedge@...> wrote:

        > I've never joined a yahoo group so this is my first post and
        experience
        > with this. I did do a search, but situations I found weren't
        exactly
        > the same so seeking specific advice.
        >
        > I live in southern Illinois and camp out some around here some
        (mainly
        > in winter to avoid bugs and heat). Next year, I plan to go to
        Iquatoes
        > Peru and head up the Amazon on a two week fishing / camping /
        exploring
        > trip. Avoiding bugs is a significant interest on that trip.
        Staying
        > off the ground and whatever might want to bite me there is
        another.
        > There is a probability that I might also go to Canada fishing the
        > following year. I'm interested in a hammock that would be
        suitable for
        > all these situations. I'm considering the Clark; but am very open
        > all suggestions. I've only hammock camped once. Any advice you
        could
        > provide would be appreciated.

      • Coy
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 2 7:16 PM
          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Rat" <hogn8r2004@...> wrote:

          > This could cover a lot of ground, but I'm just going to hit the
          > basics from my POV.
          >
          > Bug protection: You will need good bug protection in both
          locations.
          > The 'skeeters and biting flies in Canada will drive you BONKERS!
          For no fuss no muss set up the Hennessey Hammock
          > http://www.hennessyhammock.com/ is a great chioce. The bug net is
          > attached permanently and does a great job at keeping the buggers
          > out. Just make sure to get heavy enough cloth to keep them from
          > biting throuigh the hammock body, or use Permethrine, DO NOT USE A
          > DEET BASED REPELLENT, to keep 'em at bay. One app will be enough
          for many weeks.

          # I'm gona suggest that for a short period of time (2 weeks)it would
          be better to use some DEET if you find the non DEET stuff isnt
          working. I would take the spray kind over the liquid because it is
          easier to apply by yourself and you can keep it off your hands
          easier. Then for my face and hands I would uses on of the more
          friendly bug repellants. I would also use Pemethrin treated clothes
          but you may want to wear short pants and short sleeve shirts some.
          This would be the time for the spray DEET.

          BTW Dave had some insect repellant on our last trip that used one of
          th newer ingrediants used in europe for a while. Even friendlier
          than the non DEET stuff i have used. Maybe he will read this and
          supply the name...not only do I need glasses, my memory aint all
          that good.

          > Speer has a bug net option that is semi attached (Hook and Loop),
          > which is nice for the rain down-time. Rain=no bugs, remove bug net
          > and chill in the hammock while it passes.
          > http://www.speerhammocks.com/

          > Rat
          >
          > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "rangersedge"
          > <rangersedge@> wrote:
          Any advice you
          > could
          > > provide would be appreciated.

        • Bill in Houston
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 2 8:00 PM
            I think Rat meant not to put DEET on the hammock. You definitely
            gotta put it on yourself, though.

            And on the hammock body and netting, definitely use permethrin to
            keep them from biting through it.

            Bill in Houston

            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 2 8:30 PM
              > This would be the time for the spray DEET.
              >
              > BTW Dave had some insect repellant on our last trip that used one of
              > th newer ingrediants used in europe for a while. Even friendlier
              > than the non DEET stuff i have used. Maybe he will read this and
              > supply the name...not only do I need glasses, my memory aint all
              > that good.

              Coy,

              It is Picaridin that is suppose to be a replacement for DEET. I have
              seen it in 7% and 15% solutions. I don't find it objectionable but
              that isn't all that strong of solutions, I think that is equivalent to
              about the same strength DEET. I was at Springer Mtn in late June and
              it didn't keep the gnats away from me while some other folks said
              their DEET based Back Woods Off did... I was using the 15% Cutter
              Advanced Picaridin spray and their Back Woods Off DEET was probably 2
              or 3 times stronger. Anyhow, that didn't make me feel as good about
              it as I was hoping I would. The gnats go away when it gets dark but
              7% solution bottle does say it repels gnats, it didn't for me.

              Dave
            • Rat
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 3 8:31 PM
                Yes, I meant no DEET on the hammock body, or any part of the
                hammock. In fact, don't use anything that is solvent based on the
                hammock, as in cleaners etc.

                I use Cactus Juice BTW. Good stuff. http://www.cactusjuicetm.com/
                All it has is oil and cactus extract (Prickly Pear).

                Rat