[Hammock Camping] Re: HH fly undercover link

  • Jeff
    Message 1 of 19 , Aug 2, 2006
      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Scott Macri"
      <hacktorious@...> wrote:

      > Has anybody tried sewing a large pocket to the bottom of their
      hammock to
      > hold a ccf pad, or something?

      CD Pritchard used to post here - maybe he's still lurking. He made
      a pad pocket. And the Crazy Creek I'm testing now has a pad pocket.

      I don't know how satisfied CD is with his version, but I don't think
      the Crazy Creek pad pocket works as well as a two-layer hammock b/c
      it restricts where I can put the pad. Since it's inline with the
      hammock, I can't get diagonal, and since it's the same width all the
      way down it bunches up the pad at the ends.

      As far as pads go, I thought a two-layer hammock works pretty well.
      I'd still rather use a SPE instead of the two-layer hammock, though -
      and it's probably lighter than a full panel of hammock material.

      JMO.

      Jeff
    • Keith
      Message 2 of 19 , Aug 2, 2006
        I'm missing the acronym again....SPE?

        > CCF and a SPE. Or Risk's Overlap Pad or Rock's Wing Pad. But of
        > those, I'd pick the SPE.

        > If you can make a stuff sack, you can make a quilt. Seriously. It
        > was one of my first projects.

        Well...I may have revised my opinion on my DIY skills as of last
        night....I was up all night making a Gearskin-style pack for the guy
        who lent me his sewing machine (pretty cheap, if you ask me!), and
        it's turned out great! Even all the hand-stitching I had to do,
        through two layers of pack cloth, a thick MI strap, and 1/4" of CCF!

        So, maybe I AM ready to try a quilt....
      • Jeff
        Message 3 of 19 , Aug 2, 2006
          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Keith" <pulse_0ptional@...>
          wrote:

          > I'm missing the acronym again....SPE?

          Ed's and Youngblood's Segmented Pad Extender
          http://www.speerhammocks.com/Products/SPE.htm

          Jeff