Re: HH fly undercover link

  • Jeff
    Message 1 of 19 , Aug 2, 2006
      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Keith" <pulse_0ptional@...>
      wrote:

      > Oh ok...cool. Well, it'll definitely be nice once I get a KAQ.
      But
      > 'till then, any cheap ideas?

      CCF and a SPE. Or Risk's Overlap Pad or Rock's Wing Pad. But of
      those, I'd pick the SPE.

      > That reminds me. As far as overquilts go, is there anything pre-
      made
      > out there that's synthetic?

      Somebody does, but I'm going blank on who it is at the moment. One
      of the cottage makers. GoLite used to but I think they discontinued
      it a few years ago.

      > I like the Ray-way
      > quilt, but I'm not really confident enough with my DIY skills to
      try
      > something that complicated...

      If you can make a stuff sack, you can make a quilt. Seriously. It
      was one of my first projects.

      Jeff
    • Jeff
      Message 2 of 19 , Aug 2, 2006
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Scott Macri"
        <hacktorious@...> wrote:

        > Has anybody tried sewing a large pocket to the bottom of their
        hammock to
        > hold a ccf pad, or something?

        CD Pritchard used to post here - maybe he's still lurking. He made
        a pad pocket. And the Crazy Creek I'm testing now has a pad pocket.

        I don't know how satisfied CD is with his version, but I don't think
        the Crazy Creek pad pocket works as well as a two-layer hammock b/c
        it restricts where I can put the pad. Since it's inline with the
        hammock, I can't get diagonal, and since it's the same width all the
        way down it bunches up the pad at the ends.

        As far as pads go, I thought a two-layer hammock works pretty well.
        I'd still rather use a SPE instead of the two-layer hammock, though -
        and it's probably lighter than a full panel of hammock material.

        JMO.

        Jeff
      • Keith
        Message 3 of 19 , Aug 2, 2006
          I'm missing the acronym again....SPE?

          > CCF and a SPE. Or Risk's Overlap Pad or Rock's Wing Pad. But of
          > those, I'd pick the SPE.

          > If you can make a stuff sack, you can make a quilt. Seriously. It
          > was one of my first projects.

          Well...I may have revised my opinion on my DIY skills as of last
          night....I was up all night making a Gearskin-style pack for the guy
          who lent me his sewing machine (pretty cheap, if you ask me!), and
          it's turned out great! Even all the hand-stitching I had to do,
          through two layers of pack cloth, a thick MI strap, and 1/4" of CCF!

          So, maybe I AM ready to try a quilt....
        • Jeff
          Message 4 of 19 , Aug 2, 2006
            wrote:

            > I'm missing the acronym again....SPE?

            Ed's and Youngblood's Segmented Pad Extender
            http://www.speerhammocks.com/Products/SPE.htm

            Jeff