Re: [Hammock Camping] sewing machine

  • RevT
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 1, 2006
      Probably not the greatest, but for that price who cares. I'm borrowing a
      Brother XL 3100 and it doesnt have the power to punch through all the layers
      of my homemade hammock when I accordian fold the ends. I have to get a
      running start at it.

      Brian

      On 8/1/06, Scott Macri <hacktorious@...> wrote:

      > Does anyone know if this sewing machine (Brother LS2125) is any good?
      >
      > http://www.overstock.com/?page=proframe&prod_id=1553000
      >
      > --

    • Bill Fornshell
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 1, 2006
        You might try using what is called a "Denim" neddle.
        Thinner, sharper and stronger.
        Bill in Texas

        --- RevT <brian.tannehill@...> wrote:

        > Probably not the greatest, but for that price who
        > cares. I'm borrowing a
        > Brother XL 3100 and it doesnt have the power to
        > punch through all the layers
        > of my homemade hammock when I accordian fold the
        > ends. I have to get a
        > running start at it.
        >
        > Brian
        >
        > On 8/1/06, Scott Macri <hacktorious@...>
        > wrote:
        > >
        > > Does anyone know if this sewing machine (Brother
        > LS2125) is any good?

        http://www.overstock.com/?page=proframe&prod_id=1553000

        > > --

        > removed]

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Keith
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 1, 2006
          I'm borrowing a Brother VX1120...it's done great so far. I've had it
          run through 3-4 layers of pack cloth (almost as thick as Cordura),
          PLUS a thick MI webbing strap. Works great.

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Bill Fornshell <bfornshell@...>
          wrote:

          > You might try using what is called a "Denim" neddle.
          > Thinner, sharper and stronger.
          > Bill in Texas
          >
          > --- RevT <brian.tannehill@...> wrote:
          >
          > > Probably not the greatest, but for that price who
          > > cares. I'm borrowing a
          > > Brother XL 3100 and it doesnt have the power to
          > > punch through all the layers
          > > of my homemade hammock when I accordian fold the
          > > ends. I have to get a
          > > running start at it.
          > >
          > > Brian
          > >
          > > On 8/1/06, Scott Macri <hacktorious@...>
          > > wrote:
          > > >
          > > > Does anyone know if this sewing machine (Brother
          > > LS2125) is any good?
          > > >

          > http://www.overstock.com/?page=proframe&prod_id=1553000
          > > >
          > > > --

          > > removed]

          > http://mail.yahoo.com

        • sebastiantoney
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 2, 2006
            I have this sewing machine. I bought mine from Wal-Mart. I hate it.
            But it's a good machine to start with.

            I needed something with more power and better mechanics. So I bought
            an old Necchi:
            http://photos1.blogger.com/hello/284/1537/1024/Necchi%20Super%20Mod.jpg

            This thing runs like a mountain goat. It's smooth, quiet and that big
            balance wheel makes for low gearing, and the guy installed a more
            powerful motor; it plows through anything.

            So get the CheapMart machine to start with, then buy a real sewing
            machine later.

            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Scott Macri" <hacktorious@...>
            wrote:

            > Does anyone know if this sewing machine (Brother LS2125) is any good?
            >
            > http://www.overstock.com/?page=proframe&prod_id=1553000
            >
            > --
            > Scott A. Macri
            > Trail Name: Mowgli
            > www.HikeHaven.com
            > http://360.yahoo.com/hacktorious

          • Joe Federici
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 3, 2006
              I've got a CG 550 singer I'm getting ready to put on ebay. It's about 5
              months old and I've got everything including the box. I'm only selling
              it as I just got my grandmothers Bernina and I just have no need for
              two similar units. I paid 300.00 for it and would take 200.00 plus
              shipping. I've also got a few extra's like needles, bobbins and a cone
              spool holder that I would throw in. This may be a bit more then a
              walmart but you get what you pay for. Singers a good name and this is
              strong unit.

              you can google it and find all kinds of info I've also added a link.
              If interested I just took some pictures I can email.

              More http://www.singernj.com/singer_cg550.html

              JFF

              On Aug 1, 2006, at 11:54 PM, Scott Macri wrote:

              Does anyone know if this sewing machine (Brother LS2125) is any good?

              http://www.overstock.com/?page=proframe&prod_id=1553000

              --
              Scott A. Macri
              Trail Name: Mowgli
              www.HikeHaven.com
              http://360.yahoo.com/hacktorious

            • Rat
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 3, 2006
                I have an old (1953) Alco I use for my heavies. I think I could sew
                a car door with it. I love my old metal machine. But, I use my wifes
                Brother for finer stitching. Not because it is better, but it is
                easier to have two machines set up so I don't hafta keep switching
                over needles and thread.

                The Brother is an XL-3100. Not a bad machine really, especially for
                the light stuff we use.

                Rat

                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Joe Federici