Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: hammock materials

  • Scott Macri
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 1, 2006
      DOH, newbie mistake; I just realized the material I purchased is not
      breathable. I will have to use this for the tarp. Hoepfully 9'x5.5' feet
      will be large enough for a tarp. LOL Hmmm, that might even be large enough
      for my tarp. Back to the store tomorrow to get more material.

      On 8/1/06, Keith <pulse_0ptional@...> wrote:

      > Sew permanent loops into both ends of the webbing. Use a lark's head
      > to attach to the tree, then use another lark's head to attach to the
      > hammock, just behind the whipping.

    • Scott Macri
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 1, 2006
        I was thinking something like this:
        http://www.imrisk.com/hammock/improvedknot.htm

        --
        Scott A. Macri
        Trail Name: Mowgli

        On 8/1/06, Coy <starnescr@...> wrote:

        > with 10 feet plus a little you could almost do away with the tree
        > huggers. In fact I have
        > never heard of anyone using tree huggers with straps. you would need
        > straps about 15
        > feet though so you will probably need the huggers. with a short hammock
        > like this you
        > might just use rope for the hammock support and use the straps for
        > huggers. I would
        > think with a 76 in hammock the ropes or straps would need to be about 1
        > feet longer per
        > end than with a standard 8 or 9 foot hammock. sooo i might just take on 10
        > foot strap (if
        > you have already cut it) and make 2 huggers and then uses about 16 feet
        > (32 total) rope
        > for the supprt lines.
        >
        > Coy Boy

      • Coy
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 1, 2006
          I need glasses...remember. I misread it. I thought you siad you was still going to use a
          tree hugger. Anyways, that knot (well not really a knot) will work fine. I still think 10 feet
          is a little short though especially for an already short hammock. long staps is the way to
          go, if they are too long no problem if too short, big problem.

          Coy Boy

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Scott Macri" <hacktorious@...> wrote:

          > I was thinking something like this:
          > http://www.imrisk.com/hammock/improvedknot.htm
          >
          > --
          > Scott A. Macri
          > Trail Name: Mowgli
          > www.HikeHaven.com
          > http://360.yahoo.com/hacktorious
          >
          > On 8/1/06, Coy <starnescr@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > with 10 feet plus a little you could almost do away with the tree
          > > huggers. In fact I have
          > > never heard of anyone using tree huggers with straps. you would need
          > > straps about 15
          > > feet though so you will probably need the huggers. with a short hammock
          > > like this you
          > > might just use rope for the hammock support and use the straps for
          > > huggers. I would
          > > think with a 76 in hammock the ropes or straps would need to be about 1
          > > feet longer per
          > > end than with a standard 8 or 9 foot hammock. sooo i might just take on 10
          > > foot strap (if
          > > you have already cut it) and make 2 huggers and then uses about 16 feet
          > > (32 total) rope
          > > for the supprt lines.
          > >
          > > Coy Boy

        • Scott Macri
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 1, 2006
            That is fine, I have not cut the webbing yet. I can just get a second one
            the same length. I got 7 yards of webbing.