Re: hammock materials

  • Bill in Houston
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 1, 2006
      Ed Speer's 4 wrap knot, maybe?
      http://www.imrisk.com/hammock/speerknot.htm

      maybe with the Risk modification?
      http://www.imrisk.com/hammock/improvedknot.htm

      Bill in Houston

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Scott Macri"
      <hacktorious@...> wrote:
      > Of course I will still need to figure out a decent knot to tie
      > the webbing to the tree, with only one end available. Any
      suggestions?

      > --
      > Scott A. Macri
      > Trail Name: Mowgli
      > www.HikeHaven.com
      > http://360.yahoo.com/hacktorious

    • Scott Macri
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 1, 2006
        DOH, newbie mistake; I just realized the material I purchased is not
        breathable. I will have to use this for the tarp. Hoepfully 9'x5.5' feet
        will be large enough for a tarp. LOL Hmmm, that might even be large enough
        for my tarp. Back to the store tomorrow to get more material.

        On 8/1/06, Keith <pulse_0ptional@...> wrote:

        > Sew permanent loops into both ends of the webbing. Use a lark's head
        > to attach to the tree, then use another lark's head to attach to the
        > hammock, just behind the whipping.

      • Scott Macri
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 1, 2006
          I was thinking something like this:

          On 8/1/06, Coy <starnescr@...> wrote:

          > with 10 feet plus a little you could almost do away with the tree
          > huggers. In fact I have
          > never heard of anyone using tree huggers with straps. you would need
          > straps about 15
          > feet though so you will probably need the huggers. with a short hammock
          > like this you
          > might just use rope for the hammock support and use the straps for
          > huggers. I would
          > think with a 76 in hammock the ropes or straps would need to be about 1
          > feet longer per
          > end than with a standard 8 or 9 foot hammock. sooo i might just take on 10
          > foot strap (if
          > you have already cut it) and make 2 huggers and then uses about 16 feet
          > (32 total) rope
          > for the supprt lines.
          >
          > Coy Boy

        • Coy
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 1, 2006
            I need glasses...remember. I misread it. I thought you siad you was still going to use a
            tree hugger. Anyways, that knot (well not really a knot) will work fine. I still think 10 feet
            is a little short though especially for an already short hammock. long staps is the way to
            go, if they are too long no problem if too short, big problem.

            Coy Boy

            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Scott Macri" <hacktorious@...> wrote:

            > I was thinking something like this:
            > http://www.imrisk.com/hammock/improvedknot.htm
            >
            > --
            > Scott A. Macri
            > Trail Name: Mowgli
            > www.HikeHaven.com
            > http://360.yahoo.com/hacktorious
            >
            > On 8/1/06, Coy <starnescr@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > with 10 feet plus a little you could almost do away with the tree
            > > huggers. In fact I have
            > > never heard of anyone using tree huggers with straps. you would need
            > > straps about 15
            > > feet though so you will probably need the huggers. with a short hammock
            > > like this you
            > > might just use rope for the hammock support and use the straps for
            > > huggers. I would
            > > think with a 76 in hammock the ropes or straps would need to be about 1
            > > feet longer per
            > > end than with a standard 8 or 9 foot hammock. sooo i might just take on 10
            > > foot strap (if
            > > you have already cut it) and make 2 huggers and then uses about 16 feet
            > > (32 total) rope
            > > for the supprt lines.
            > >
            > > Coy Boy

          • Scott Macri
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 1, 2006
              That is fine, I have not cut the webbing yet. I can just get a second one
              the same length. I got 7 yards of webbing.