Sewing Tyvek

  • Ivan Hazelton
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 1, 2006
      Group,

      I am considering making a hex tarp of tyvek. Does anyone have experience sewing tyvek?
      Got any pointers? How to I attach tie-outs? I am worried that the thread will rip through
      the tyvek, or the nice line of perferations from the needle will make a beautiful "tear here"
      line under stress. Are my fears justified or unfounded?

      P.S. I am using tyvek because I am in the last community on the planet without a Walmart
      for purchasing silnylon at a reasonable price. Joann's is here, but doesn't sell silnylon and
      even their RS Nylon is $6.99/yd. Here, tyvek is only $1.20 per foot 9ft wide or the
      equivelent of $1.80/yd at 54inches wide and, bonus, no ridge seam. Tyvek is only about
      2.2oz/sqyd. Not as light as silnylon but lighter than a blue poly tarp.

      -Ivan
    • Keith
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 1, 2006
        Tyvek is a pain in the butt to sew. You have to be really REALLY
        careful with it. I've never sewn any on a machine myself, but I've
        known people who have. One thing you might consider is washing it a
        couple of times first. That'll make the material softer and easier to
        work with. You also want to use a pretty large stitch length, for
        exactly the perforation problem you're worried about. Also, in places
        where there's going to be a load (like tie-outs), you'll probably want
        a good area of reinforcement.

        That being said, Ed sells silnylon for $4/yd, 65" wide.

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Ivan Hazelton"

        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 5, 2006
          I second all the below that Keith wrote. Beyond that, tyvek stuffs
          terribly and is heavier than it needs to be and it is very very noisy.

          It does make an OK ground cloth because it is harder to puncture than
          silnylon.

          Rick