Re: hammock materials

  • Keith
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 1, 2006
      Sew permanent loops into both ends of the webbing. Use a lark's head
      to attach to the tree, then use another lark's head to attach to the
      hammock, just behind the whipping.

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Scott Macri" <hacktorious@...>
      wrote:
      Of course I will still need to figure out a decent knot to tie
      > the webbing to the tree, with only one end available. Any suggestions?
      >
      > --
      > Scott A. Macri
      > Trail Name: Mowgli
      > www.HikeHaven.com
      > http://360.yahoo.com/hacktorious

    • Coy
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 1, 2006
        with 10 feet plus a little you could almost do away with the tree huggers. In fact I have
        never heard of anyone using tree huggers with straps. you would need straps about 15
        feet though so you will probably need the huggers. with a short hammock like this you
        might just use rope for the hammock support and use the straps for huggers. I would
        think with a 76 in hammock the ropes or straps would need to be about 1 feet longer per
        end than with a standard 8 or 9 foot hammock. sooo i might just take on 10 foot strap (if
        you have already cut it) and make 2 huggers and then uses about 16 feet (32 total) rope
        for the supprt lines.

        Coy Boy

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Scott Macri" <hacktorious@...> wrote:

        > I also bought 20+ feet of 1" nylon webbing at the same place.
        >
        > Right now my plan is to make it similar to the way Jeff made
        > his<http://www.tothewoods.net/HammockWhipping.html>.
        > The only difference will be that I am going to attempt to use the webbing
        > instead of the rope used in the last 4 steps on his page. This way I can
        > tie directly to the tree without having to fuss with tying a knot to the
        > tree hugger. Of course I will still need to figure out a decent knot to tie
        > the webbing to the tree, with only one end available. Any suggestions?
        >
        > --
        > Scott A. Macri
      • Bill in Houston
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 1, 2006
          Ed Speer's 4 wrap knot, maybe?
          http://www.imrisk.com/hammock/speerknot.htm

          maybe with the Risk modification?
          http://www.imrisk.com/hammock/improvedknot.htm

          Bill in Houston

          <hacktorious@...> wrote:
          > Of course I will still need to figure out a decent knot to tie
          > the webbing to the tree, with only one end available. Any
          suggestions?

          > --
          > Scott A. Macri
          > Trail Name: Mowgli
          > www.HikeHaven.com
          > http://360.yahoo.com/hacktorious

        • Scott Macri
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 1, 2006
            DOH, newbie mistake; I just realized the material I purchased is not
            breathable. I will have to use this for the tarp. Hoepfully 9'x5.5' feet
            will be large enough for a tarp. LOL Hmmm, that might even be large enough
            for my tarp. Back to the store tomorrow to get more material.

            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 1, 2006
              I was thinking something like this:

              On 8/1/06, Coy <starnescr@...> wrote:

              > with 10 feet plus a little you could almost do away with the tree
              > huggers. In fact I have
              > never heard of anyone using tree huggers with straps. you would need
              > straps about 15
              > feet though so you will probably need the huggers. with a short hammock
              > like this you
              > might just use rope for the hammock support and use the straps for
              > huggers. I would
              > think with a 76 in hammock the ropes or straps would need to be about 1
              > feet longer per
              > end than with a standard 8 or 9 foot hammock. sooo i might just take on 10
              > foot strap (if
              > you have already cut it) and make 2 huggers and then uses about 16 feet
              > (32 total) rope
              > for the supprt lines.
              >
              > Coy Boy

            • Coy
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 1, 2006
                I need glasses...remember. I misread it. I thought you siad you was still going to use a
                tree hugger. Anyways, that knot (well not really a knot) will work fine. I still think 10 feet
                is a little short though especially for an already short hammock. long staps is the way to
                go, if they are too long no problem if too short, big problem.

                Coy Boy

                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Scott Macri" <hacktorious@...> wrote:

                > I was thinking something like this:
                > http://www.imrisk.com/hammock/improvedknot.htm
                >
                > --
                > Scott A. Macri
                > Trail Name: Mowgli
                > www.HikeHaven.com
                > http://360.yahoo.com/hacktorious
                >
                > On 8/1/06, Coy <starnescr@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > with 10 feet plus a little you could almost do away with the tree
                > > huggers. In fact I have
                > > never heard of anyone using tree huggers with straps. you would need
                > > straps about 15
                > > feet though so you will probably need the huggers. with a short hammock
                > > like this you
                > > might just use rope for the hammock support and use the straps for
                > > huggers. I would
                > > think with a 76 in hammock the ropes or straps would need to be about 1
                > > feet longer per
                > > end than with a standard 8 or 9 foot hammock. sooo i might just take on 10
                > > foot strap (if
                > > you have already cut it) and make 2 huggers and then uses about 16 feet
                > > (32 total) rope
                > > for the supprt lines.
                > >
                > > Coy Boy

              • Scott Macri
                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 1, 2006
                  That is fine, I have not cut the webbing yet. I can just get a second one
                  the same length. I got 7 yards of webbing.