hammock materials

  • Scott Macri
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 1 6:52 PM
      Well, I got some materials to make a hammock. I found some camo rip-stop
      nylon at a fabric store. I think I will make a tarp for my new HH too.
      Then I can go totally stealth.

      I may have made a mistake by starting to make my own gear. Now my wife
      wants me to make a double hammock for backpacking together. The funny thing
      is that she doesn't like backpacking. Hmmm, maybe she read the pork chop
      message and it gave her an idea. LOL

      Anyhow, back to the hammock materials. I don't know the weight of the nylon
      because it wasn't labeled and the clerk didn't know. It appears to be ok.
      I will have to test it out to be sure. I bought enough to get a 75"x42"
      hammock for a 3 year old, and I might almost have enough extra for a fly,
      though I doubt it. I will have some extra to make a stuff sack, gear
      hammock or something.

      I also bought 20+ feet of 1" nylon webbing at the same place.

      Right now my plan is to make it similar to the way Jeff made
      his<http://www.tothewoods.net/HammockWhipping.html>.
      The only difference will be that I am going to attempt to use the webbing
      instead of the rope used in the last 4 steps on his page. This way I can
      tie directly to the tree without having to fuss with tying a knot to the
      tree hugger. Of course I will still need to figure out a decent knot to tie
      the webbing to the tree, with only one end available. Any suggestions?

      --
      Scott A. Macri
      Trail Name: Mowgli

    • Keith
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 1 7:29 PM
        Sew permanent loops into both ends of the webbing. Use a lark's head
        to attach to the tree, then use another lark's head to attach to the
        hammock, just behind the whipping.

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Scott Macri" <hacktorious@...>
        wrote:
        Of course I will still need to figure out a decent knot to tie
        > the webbing to the tree, with only one end available. Any suggestions?
        >
        > --
        > Scott A. Macri
        > Trail Name: Mowgli
        > www.HikeHaven.com
        > http://360.yahoo.com/hacktorious

      • Coy
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 1 7:42 PM
          with 10 feet plus a little you could almost do away with the tree huggers. In fact I have
          never heard of anyone using tree huggers with straps. you would need straps about 15
          feet though so you will probably need the huggers. with a short hammock like this you
          might just use rope for the hammock support and use the straps for huggers. I would
          think with a 76 in hammock the ropes or straps would need to be about 1 feet longer per
          end than with a standard 8 or 9 foot hammock. sooo i might just take on 10 foot strap (if
          you have already cut it) and make 2 huggers and then uses about 16 feet (32 total) rope
          for the supprt lines.

          Coy Boy

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Scott Macri" <hacktorious@...> wrote:

          > I also bought 20+ feet of 1" nylon webbing at the same place.
          >
          > Right now my plan is to make it similar to the way Jeff made
          > his<http://www.tothewoods.net/HammockWhipping.html>.
          > The only difference will be that I am going to attempt to use the webbing
          > instead of the rope used in the last 4 steps on his page. This way I can
          > tie directly to the tree without having to fuss with tying a knot to the
          > tree hugger. Of course I will still need to figure out a decent knot to tie
          > the webbing to the tree, with only one end available. Any suggestions?
          >
          > --
          > Scott A. Macri
        • Bill in Houston
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 1 8:23 PM
            Ed Speer's 4 wrap knot, maybe?
            http://www.imrisk.com/hammock/speerknot.htm

            maybe with the Risk modification?
            http://www.imrisk.com/hammock/improvedknot.htm

            Bill in Houston

            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 1 8:30 PM
              DOH, newbie mistake; I just realized the material I purchased is not
              breathable. I will have to use this for the tarp. Hoepfully 9'x5.5' feet
              will be large enough for a tarp. LOL Hmmm, that might even be large enough
              for my tarp. Back to the store tomorrow to get more material.

              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 1 8:31 PM
                I was thinking something like this:

                On 8/1/06, Coy <starnescr@...> wrote:

                > with 10 feet plus a little you could almost do away with the tree
                > huggers. In fact I have
                > never heard of anyone using tree huggers with straps. you would need
                > straps about 15
                > feet though so you will probably need the huggers. with a short hammock
                > like this you
                > might just use rope for the hammock support and use the straps for
                > huggers. I would
                > think with a 76 in hammock the ropes or straps would need to be about 1
                > feet longer per
                > end than with a standard 8 or 9 foot hammock. sooo i might just take on 10
                > foot strap (if
                > you have already cut it) and make 2 huggers and then uses about 16 feet
                > (32 total) rope
                > for the supprt lines.
                >
                > Coy Boy

              • Coy
                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 1 8:43 PM
                  I need glasses...remember. I misread it. I thought you siad you was still going to use a
                  tree hugger. Anyways, that knot (well not really a knot) will work fine. I still think 10 feet
                  is a little short though especially for an already short hammock. long staps is the way to
                  go, if they are too long no problem if too short, big problem.

                  Coy Boy

                  --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Scott Macri" <hacktorious@...> wrote:

                  > I was thinking something like this:
                  > http://www.imrisk.com/hammock/improvedknot.htm
                  >
                  > --
                  > Scott A. Macri
                  > Trail Name: Mowgli
                  > www.HikeHaven.com
                  > http://360.yahoo.com/hacktorious
                  >
                  > On 8/1/06, Coy <starnescr@...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > with 10 feet plus a little you could almost do away with the tree
                  > > huggers. In fact I have
                  > > never heard of anyone using tree huggers with straps. you would need
                  > > straps about 15
                  > > feet though so you will probably need the huggers. with a short hammock
                  > > like this you
                  > > might just use rope for the hammock support and use the straps for
                  > > huggers. I would
                  > > think with a 76 in hammock the ropes or straps would need to be about 1
                  > > feet longer per
                  > > end than with a standard 8 or 9 foot hammock. sooo i might just take on 10
                  > > foot strap (if
                  > > you have already cut it) and make 2 huggers and then uses about 16 feet
                  > > (32 total) rope
                  > > for the supprt lines.
                  > >
                  > > Coy Boy

                • Scott Macri
                  Message 8 of 8 , Aug 1 8:57 PM
                    That is fine, I have not cut the webbing yet. I can just get a second one
                    the same length. I got 7 yards of webbing.