Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: HH fly undercover link

  • Dick Matthews
    Message 1 of 19 , Aug 1, 2006
      A Jacks'R'Better 3 season set works for me down to 30. I sleep in
      expedition weight long underwear. Fleece retains loft inside the
      hammock much better than down, but does not block the wind. Drop
      Stopper rain gear can be added as a VB clothes.

      Dick Matthews
      Wheat Ridge, CO

      lakewood_matt wrote:

      >Seems like lots of ideas floating around here. I just have a simple question about warmth.
      >I live in Colorado where it frequently gets down to 30F at night. I tried my Big Agnes with
      >CCF in the hammock and it DID suck, especially after sleeping without it. Does anyone
      >have a simple idea for a warm sleeper that would work with my 30F down bag that would
      >keep my warm to about 30F. I really don't want to invest the time and money into anything
      >undercover-ish but would rather just have something inside. Does anyone know of a good
      >down underquilt that would accomadate my need for simplicity? Lots of great ideas in here
      >but i need and quick fix and don't have much time for experimentation. THANKS! Any
      >ideas are welcome.

    • Scott Macri
      Message 2 of 19 , Aug 1, 2006
        Has anyone ever tried using a supershelter and a JacksRBetter underquilt on
        the hammock at the same time? I'll have to see if this works. I am going
        to play around with some more stuff today.

        --
        Scott A. Macri
        Trail Name: Mowgli

        On 8/1/06, Dick Matthews <dick@...> wrote:

        > A Jacks'R'Better 3 season set works for me down to 30. I sleep in
        > expedition weight long underwear. Fleece retains loft inside the
        > hammock much better than down, but does not block the wind. Drop
        > Stopper rain gear can be added as a VB clothes.
        >
        > Dick Matthews
        > Wheat Ridge, CO

      • Jeff
        Message 3 of 19 , Aug 2, 2006
          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Keith" <pulse_0ptional@...>
          wrote:

          > Oh ok...cool. Well, it'll definitely be nice once I get a KAQ.
          But
          > 'till then, any cheap ideas?

          CCF and a SPE. Or Risk's Overlap Pad or Rock's Wing Pad. But of
          those, I'd pick the SPE.

          > That reminds me. As far as overquilts go, is there anything pre-
          made
          > out there that's synthetic?

          Somebody does, but I'm going blank on who it is at the moment. One
          of the cottage makers. GoLite used to but I think they discontinued
          it a few years ago.

          > I like the Ray-way
          > quilt, but I'm not really confident enough with my DIY skills to
          try
          > something that complicated...

          If you can make a stuff sack, you can make a quilt. Seriously. It
          was one of my first projects.

          Jeff
        • Jeff
          Message 4 of 19 , Aug 2, 2006
            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Scott Macri"
            <hacktorious@...> wrote:

            > Has anybody tried sewing a large pocket to the bottom of their
            hammock to
            > hold a ccf pad, or something?

            CD Pritchard used to post here - maybe he's still lurking. He made
            a pad pocket. And the Crazy Creek I'm testing now has a pad pocket.

            I don't know how satisfied CD is with his version, but I don't think
            the Crazy Creek pad pocket works as well as a two-layer hammock b/c
            it restricts where I can put the pad. Since it's inline with the
            hammock, I can't get diagonal, and since it's the same width all the
            way down it bunches up the pad at the ends.

            As far as pads go, I thought a two-layer hammock works pretty well.
            I'd still rather use a SPE instead of the two-layer hammock, though -
            and it's probably lighter than a full panel of hammock material.

            JMO.

            Jeff
          • Keith
            Message 5 of 19 , Aug 2, 2006
              I'm missing the acronym again....SPE?

              > CCF and a SPE. Or Risk's Overlap Pad or Rock's Wing Pad. But of
              > those, I'd pick the SPE.

              > If you can make a stuff sack, you can make a quilt. Seriously. It
              > was one of my first projects.

              Well...I may have revised my opinion on my DIY skills as of last
              night....I was up all night making a Gearskin-style pack for the guy
              who lent me his sewing machine (pretty cheap, if you ask me!), and
              it's turned out great! Even all the hand-stitching I had to do,
              through two layers of pack cloth, a thick MI strap, and 1/4" of CCF!

              So, maybe I AM ready to try a quilt....
            • Jeff
              Message 6 of 19 , Aug 2, 2006
                wrote:

                > I'm missing the acronym again....SPE?

                Ed's and Youngblood's Segmented Pad Extender
                http://www.speerhammocks.com/Products/SPE.htm

                Jeff