Re: [Hammock Camping] Hammock rain fly's

  • Scott Macri
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 31, 2006
      My concern with the HEX tarps is the tie outs on the sides of the HH. I
      notice when I tie them to the ground it doesn't work as well as if they are
      horizontal. This may interfere with the tarp. I do like the idea of a HEX
      tarp. Especially since there is more room for me to hang out in the rain.

      --
      Scott A. Macri
      Trail Name: Mowgli

      On 7/31/06, Keith < pulse_0ptional@...> wrote:

      > > There is, of course, the MacDaddy of all tarps (IMHO), the MacCat:
      > >
      > > http://www.outdoorequipmentsupplier.com/maccattarps.htm
      > >
      > > This is about the most well-made, nicest design I've seen. Also check
      > > out Jeff's page for a review. I'd love to get one, but money is an
      > > issue at the moment.

    • Keith
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 31, 2006
        It's 7 oz., according to Jeff.

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Scott Macri" <hacktorious@...>
        wrote:

        > That looks pretty nice. Does anyone know how much the HH asym for
        the UL
        > backpacker weighs? It isn't listed on their site and I misplaced my
        scale.

        > --
        > Scott A. Macri
        > Trail Name: Mowgli
        > www.HikeHaven.com
        > http://360.yahoo.com/hacktorious
        >
        > On 7/31/06, Keith <pulse_0ptional@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > There is, of course, the MacDaddy of all tarps (IMHO), the MacCat:
        > >
        > > http://www.outdoorequipmentsupplier.com/maccattarps.htm
        > >
        > > This is about the most well-made, nicest design I've seen. Also check
        > > out Jeff's page for a review. I'd love to get one, but money is an
        > > issue at the moment.

      • Keith
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 31, 2006
          I'm not really sure how this is an issue with hex tarps....

          I've never had a problem tying my asyms to the ground, but if you
          don't like it, here's a cool solution:

          Brian removed his bugnet entirely, but I think the idea would work
          without doing that.

          wrote:

          > My concern with the HEX tarps is the tie outs on the sides of the HH. I
          > notice when I tie them to the ground it doesn't work as well as if
          they are
          > horizontal. This may interfere with the tarp. I do like the idea
          of a HEX
          > tarp. Especially since there is more room for me to hang out in the
          rain.

          > --
          > Scott A. Macri
          > Trail Name: Mowgli
          > www.HikeHaven.com
          > http://360.yahoo.com/hacktorious
          >

          > On 7/31/06, Keith < pulse_0ptional@...> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > There is, of course, the MacDaddy of all tarps (IMHO), the MacCat:
          > > >
          > > > http://www.outdoorequipmentsupplier.com/maccattarps.htm
          > > >
          > > > This is about the most well-made, nicest design I've seen. Also
          check
          > > > out Jeff's page for a review. I'd love to get one, but money is an
          > > > issue at the moment.

        • Dylan Anderson
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 1, 2006
            What I do in with mine is I tie the side tieouts to
            the tarp itself. The hex fly has little clips at the
            corners, so I tied my side pullouts in a series of
            daisy chain like loops. That way, no matter how high
            or low I choose to set the tarp, I can clip the
            hammock's side pulls to the tarp at the right lenths.
            In bad weather, the added bonus I see to this setup is
            that it puts some tension on the fly, keeping it
            tighter. It also pulls those corners closest to my
            head and feet down just a little bit further, keeping
            me well protected.

            -Dylan

            --- Scott Macri <hacktorious@...> wrote:

            > My concern with the HEX tarps is the tie outs on the
            > sides of the HH. I
            > notice when I tie them to the ground it doesn't work
            > as well as if they are
            > horizontal. This may interfere with the tarp. I
            > do like the idea of a HEX
            > tarp. Especially since there is more room for me to
            > hang out in the rain.
            >
            > --
            > Scott A. Macri
            > Trail Name: Mowgli
            > www.HikeHaven.com
            > http://360.yahoo.com/hacktorious
            >

            > On 7/31/06, Keith < pulse_0ptional@...> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > There is, of course, the MacDaddy of all tarps
            > (IMHO), the MacCat:

            http://www.outdoorequipmentsupplier.com/maccattarps.htm

            > > > This is about the most well-made, nicest design
            > I've seen. Also check
            > > > out Jeff's page for a review. I'd love to get
            > one, but money is an
            > > > issue at the moment.

            > removed]

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • Scott Macri
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 1, 2006
              Take a look at the photos on my blog page. I clipped the asym tarp the the
              tie-outs on the hammock. It seems to be a great setup for a nasty storm.

              --

              On 8/1/06, Dylan Anderson <hum469@...> wrote:

              > What I do in with mine is I tie the side tieouts to
              > the tarp itself. The hex fly has little clips at the
              > corners, so I tied my side pullouts in a series of
              > daisy chain like loops. That way, no matter how high
              > or low I choose to set the tarp, I can clip the
              > hammock's side pulls to the tarp at the right lenths.
              > In bad weather, the added bonus I see to this setup is
              > that it puts some tension on the fly, keeping it
              > tighter. It also pulls those corners closest to my
              > head and feet down just a little bit further, keeping
              > me well protected.
              >
              > -Dylan

            • Ralph Oborn
              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 1, 2006
                On 7/31/06, Scott Macri <hacktorious@...> wrote:

                > My concern with the HEX tarps is the tie outs on the sides of the HH. I
                > notice when I tie them to the ground it doesn't work as well as if they
                > are
                > horizontal. This may interfere with the tarp. I do like the idea of a
                > HEX
                > tarp. Especially since there is more room for me to hang out in the rain.

                run the hammock side tie out to where the hex tie out starts.

                Ralph