Re: [Hammock Camping] Hammock rain fly's

  • Scott Macri
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 31, 2006
      That looks pretty nice. Does anyone know how much the HH asym for the UL
      backpacker weighs? It isn't listed on their site and I misplaced my scale.

      --
      Scott A. Macri
      Trail Name: Mowgli

      On 7/31/06, Keith <pulse_0ptional@...> wrote:

      > There is, of course, the MacDaddy of all tarps (IMHO), the MacCat:
      >
      > http://www.outdoorequipmentsupplier.com/maccattarps.htm
      >
      > This is about the most well-made, nicest design I've seen. Also check
      > out Jeff's page for a review. I'd love to get one, but money is an
      > issue at the moment.

    • Scott Macri
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 31, 2006
        My concern with the HEX tarps is the tie outs on the sides of the HH. I
        notice when I tie them to the ground it doesn't work as well as if they are
        horizontal. This may interfere with the tarp. I do like the idea of a HEX
        tarp. Especially since there is more room for me to hang out in the rain.

        --
        Scott A. Macri
        Trail Name: Mowgli
        www.HikeHaven.com
        http://360.yahoo.com/hacktorious

        On 7/31/06, Keith < pulse_0ptional@...> wrote:

        > > There is, of course, the MacDaddy of all tarps (IMHO), the MacCat:
        > >
        > > http://www.outdoorequipmentsupplier.com/maccattarps.htm
        > >
        > > This is about the most well-made, nicest design I've seen. Also check
        > > out Jeff's page for a review. I'd love to get one, but money is an
        > > issue at the moment.

      • Keith
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 31, 2006
          It's 7 oz., according to Jeff.

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Scott Macri" <hacktorious@...>
          wrote:

          > That looks pretty nice. Does anyone know how much the HH asym for
          the UL
          > backpacker weighs? It isn't listed on their site and I misplaced my
          scale.

          > --
          > Scott A. Macri
          > Trail Name: Mowgli
          > www.HikeHaven.com
          > http://360.yahoo.com/hacktorious
          >
          > On 7/31/06, Keith <pulse_0ptional@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > There is, of course, the MacDaddy of all tarps (IMHO), the MacCat:
          > >
          > > http://www.outdoorequipmentsupplier.com/maccattarps.htm
          > >
          > > This is about the most well-made, nicest design I've seen. Also check
          > > out Jeff's page for a review. I'd love to get one, but money is an
          > > issue at the moment.

        • Keith
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 31, 2006
            I'm not really sure how this is an issue with hex tarps....

            I've never had a problem tying my asyms to the ground, but if you
            don't like it, here's a cool solution:

            Brian removed his bugnet entirely, but I think the idea would work
            without doing that.

            wrote:

            > My concern with the HEX tarps is the tie outs on the sides of the HH. I
            > notice when I tie them to the ground it doesn't work as well as if
            they are
            > horizontal. This may interfere with the tarp. I do like the idea
            of a HEX
            > tarp. Especially since there is more room for me to hang out in the
            rain.

            > --
            > Scott A. Macri
            > Trail Name: Mowgli
            > www.HikeHaven.com
            > http://360.yahoo.com/hacktorious
            >

            > On 7/31/06, Keith < pulse_0ptional@...> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > There is, of course, the MacDaddy of all tarps (IMHO), the MacCat:
            > > >
            > > > http://www.outdoorequipmentsupplier.com/maccattarps.htm
            > > >
            > > > This is about the most well-made, nicest design I've seen. Also
            check
            > > > out Jeff's page for a review. I'd love to get one, but money is an
            > > > issue at the moment.

          • Dylan Anderson
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 1, 2006
              What I do in with mine is I tie the side tieouts to
              the tarp itself. The hex fly has little clips at the
              corners, so I tied my side pullouts in a series of
              daisy chain like loops. That way, no matter how high
              or low I choose to set the tarp, I can clip the
              hammock's side pulls to the tarp at the right lenths.
              In bad weather, the added bonus I see to this setup is
              that it puts some tension on the fly, keeping it
              tighter. It also pulls those corners closest to my
              head and feet down just a little bit further, keeping
              me well protected.

              -Dylan

              --- Scott Macri <hacktorious@...> wrote:

              > My concern with the HEX tarps is the tie outs on the
              > sides of the HH. I
              > notice when I tie them to the ground it doesn't work
              > as well as if they are
              > horizontal. This may interfere with the tarp. I
              > do like the idea of a HEX
              > tarp. Especially since there is more room for me to
              > hang out in the rain.
              >
              > --
              > Scott A. Macri
              > Trail Name: Mowgli
              > www.HikeHaven.com
              > http://360.yahoo.com/hacktorious
              >

              > On 7/31/06, Keith < pulse_0ptional@...> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > There is, of course, the MacDaddy of all tarps
              > (IMHO), the MacCat:

              http://www.outdoorequipmentsupplier.com/maccattarps.htm

              > > > This is about the most well-made, nicest design
              > I've seen. Also check
              > > > out Jeff's page for a review. I'd love to get
              > one, but money is an
              > > > issue at the moment.

              > removed]

              http://mail.yahoo.com
            • Scott Macri
              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 1, 2006
                Take a look at the photos on my blog page. I clipped the asym tarp the the
                tie-outs on the hammock. It seems to be a great setup for a nasty storm.

                --

                On 8/1/06, Dylan Anderson <hum469@...> wrote:

                > What I do in with mine is I tie the side tieouts to
                > the tarp itself. The hex fly has little clips at the
                > corners, so I tied my side pullouts in a series of
                > daisy chain like loops. That way, no matter how high
                > or low I choose to set the tarp, I can clip the
                > hammock's side pulls to the tarp at the right lenths.
                > In bad weather, the added bonus I see to this setup is
                > that it puts some tension on the fly, keeping it
                > tighter. It also pulls those corners closest to my
                > head and feet down just a little bit further, keeping
                > me well protected.
                >
                > -Dylan

              • Ralph Oborn
                Message 7 of 11 , Aug 1, 2006
                  On 7/31/06, Scott Macri <hacktorious@...> wrote:

                  > My concern with the HEX tarps is the tie outs on the sides of the HH. I
                  > notice when I tie them to the ground it doesn't work as well as if they
                  > are
                  > horizontal. This may interfere with the tarp. I do like the idea of a
                  > HEX
                  > tarp. Especially since there is more room for me to hang out in the rain.

                  run the hammock side tie out to where the hex tie out starts.

                  Ralph