Re: [Hammock Camping] Hammock rain fly's

  • Keith
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 31, 2006
      There is, of course, the MacDaddy of all tarps (IMHO), the MacCat:

      http://www.outdoorequipmentsupplier.com/maccattarps.htm

      This is about the most well-made, nicest design I've seen. Also check
      out Jeff's page for a review. I'd love to get one, but money is an
      issue at the moment.

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Dylan Anderson <hum469@...> wrote:

      > Unless I am mistaken, the Golight 2 is 18 oz?
      >
      > The difference in shape is mostly supposed to be about
      > wieght. After all, the Hennesy hex fly is something
      > like 12 foot by 11 foot where as the Golight is a 10 X
      > 8 rectangle and they are similar in weight. Now
      > understandavly the cut off corners of the hex will
      > have less coverage, but you gain more coverage out to
      > the sides. And let me tell you (I have a Safari with
      > the hex fly) it covers A LOT. It's just about the
      > biggest tarp I would consider carrying on a
      > backpacking trip. I have several times considered
      > trying to make a lighter wieght version, but I just
      > cannot see how I could and still have the durability I
      > want. After all, that is a lot of sail area to have
      > subjected to winds forces, and I am certain in one
      > storm it was putting up with a couple hundred pounds
      > of force. I don't think 1.1 would take that reliably.
      >

      > --- Scott Macri <hacktorious@...> wrote:
      >
      > > What is the difference between using the HH 30D HEX
      > > rain fly ($130 - 19 oz.)
      > > vs. using a Golight tarp2 ($70 - 14 oz.)? Is there
      > > any advantage to the HEX
      > > shape? I suppose I could return my current asym fly
      > > and pay the difference
      > > for a HEX, which would make the HEX about $70 or so.
      > > Please don't tell me 5
      > > oz. LOL
      > >
      > > I am thinking I might make my own when I finally get
      > > a sewing machine. I
      > > would definitely cost much less. Any suggestions on
      > > the best shapes to use?
      > >
      > > Thanks.
      > >

      > > --
      > > Scott A. Macri
      > > Trail Name: Mowgli
      > > www.HikeHaven.com
      > > http://360.yahoo.com/hacktorious

      > > removed]
      > >

      > Though I may die tomorrow, at least I can do it with the knowledge
      that once I did know true love -unknown

      > http://mail.yahoo.com

    • Scott Macri
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 31, 2006
        That looks pretty nice. Does anyone know how much the HH asym for the UL
        backpacker weighs? It isn't listed on their site and I misplaced my scale.

        --

        On 7/31/06, Keith <pulse_0ptional@...> wrote:

        > There is, of course, the MacDaddy of all tarps (IMHO), the MacCat:
        >
        > http://www.outdoorequipmentsupplier.com/maccattarps.htm
        >
        > This is about the most well-made, nicest design I've seen. Also check
        > out Jeff's page for a review. I'd love to get one, but money is an
        > issue at the moment.

      • Scott Macri
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 31, 2006
          My concern with the HEX tarps is the tie outs on the sides of the HH. I
          notice when I tie them to the ground it doesn't work as well as if they are
          horizontal. This may interfere with the tarp. I do like the idea of a HEX
          tarp. Especially since there is more room for me to hang out in the rain.

          --
          Scott A. Macri
          Trail Name: Mowgli
          www.HikeHaven.com
          http://360.yahoo.com/hacktorious

          On 7/31/06, Keith < pulse_0ptional@...> wrote:

          > > There is, of course, the MacDaddy of all tarps (IMHO), the MacCat:
          > >
          > > http://www.outdoorequipmentsupplier.com/maccattarps.htm
          > >
          > > This is about the most well-made, nicest design I've seen. Also check
          > > out Jeff's page for a review. I'd love to get one, but money is an
          > > issue at the moment.

        • Keith
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 31, 2006
            It's 7 oz., according to Jeff.

            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Scott Macri" <hacktorious@...>
            wrote:

            > That looks pretty nice. Does anyone know how much the HH asym for
            the UL
            > backpacker weighs? It isn't listed on their site and I misplaced my
            scale.

            > --
            > Scott A. Macri
            > Trail Name: Mowgli
            > www.HikeHaven.com
            > http://360.yahoo.com/hacktorious
            >
            > On 7/31/06, Keith <pulse_0ptional@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > There is, of course, the MacDaddy of all tarps (IMHO), the MacCat:
            > >
            > > http://www.outdoorequipmentsupplier.com/maccattarps.htm
            > >
            > > This is about the most well-made, nicest design I've seen. Also check
            > > out Jeff's page for a review. I'd love to get one, but money is an
            > > issue at the moment.

          • Keith
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 31, 2006
              I'm not really sure how this is an issue with hex tarps....

              I've never had a problem tying my asyms to the ground, but if you
              don't like it, here's a cool solution:

              Brian removed his bugnet entirely, but I think the idea would work
              without doing that.

              wrote:

              > My concern with the HEX tarps is the tie outs on the sides of the HH. I
              > notice when I tie them to the ground it doesn't work as well as if
              they are
              > horizontal. This may interfere with the tarp. I do like the idea
              of a HEX
              > tarp. Especially since there is more room for me to hang out in the
              rain.

              > --
              > Scott A. Macri
              > Trail Name: Mowgli
              > www.HikeHaven.com
              > http://360.yahoo.com/hacktorious
              >

              > On 7/31/06, Keith < pulse_0ptional@...> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > There is, of course, the MacDaddy of all tarps (IMHO), the MacCat:
              > > >
              > > > http://www.outdoorequipmentsupplier.com/maccattarps.htm
              > > >
              > > > This is about the most well-made, nicest design I've seen. Also
              check
              > > > out Jeff's page for a review. I'd love to get one, but money is an
              > > > issue at the moment.

            • Dylan Anderson
              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 1, 2006
                What I do in with mine is I tie the side tieouts to
                the tarp itself. The hex fly has little clips at the
                corners, so I tied my side pullouts in a series of
                daisy chain like loops. That way, no matter how high
                or low I choose to set the tarp, I can clip the
                hammock's side pulls to the tarp at the right lenths.
                In bad weather, the added bonus I see to this setup is
                that it puts some tension on the fly, keeping it
                tighter. It also pulls those corners closest to my
                head and feet down just a little bit further, keeping
                me well protected.

                -Dylan

                --- Scott Macri <hacktorious@...> wrote:

                > My concern with the HEX tarps is the tie outs on the
                > sides of the HH. I
                > notice when I tie them to the ground it doesn't work
                > as well as if they are
                > horizontal. This may interfere with the tarp. I
                > do like the idea of a HEX
                > tarp. Especially since there is more room for me to
                > hang out in the rain.
                >
                > --
                > Scott A. Macri
                > Trail Name: Mowgli
                > www.HikeHaven.com
                > http://360.yahoo.com/hacktorious
                >

                > On 7/31/06, Keith < pulse_0ptional@...> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > There is, of course, the MacDaddy of all tarps
                > (IMHO), the MacCat:

                http://www.outdoorequipmentsupplier.com/maccattarps.htm

                > > > This is about the most well-made, nicest design
                > I've seen. Also check
                > > > out Jeff's page for a review. I'd love to get
                > one, but money is an
                > > > issue at the moment.

                > removed]

                http://mail.yahoo.com
              • Scott Macri
                Message 7 of 11 , Aug 1, 2006
                  Take a look at the photos on my blog page. I clipped the asym tarp the the
                  tie-outs on the hammock. It seems to be a great setup for a nasty storm.

                  --

                  On 8/1/06, Dylan Anderson <hum469@...> wrote:

                  > What I do in with mine is I tie the side tieouts to
                  > the tarp itself. The hex fly has little clips at the
                  > corners, so I tied my side pullouts in a series of
                  > daisy chain like loops. That way, no matter how high
                  > or low I choose to set the tarp, I can clip the
                  > hammock's side pulls to the tarp at the right lenths.
                  > In bad weather, the added bonus I see to this setup is
                  > that it puts some tension on the fly, keeping it
                  > tighter. It also pulls those corners closest to my
                  > head and feet down just a little bit further, keeping
                  > me well protected.
                  >
                  > -Dylan

                • Ralph Oborn
                  Message 8 of 11 , Aug 1, 2006
                    On 7/31/06, Scott Macri <hacktorious@...> wrote:

                    > My concern with the HEX tarps is the tie outs on the sides of the HH. I
                    > notice when I tie them to the ground it doesn't work as well as if they
                    > are
                    > horizontal. This may interfere with the tarp. I do like the idea of a
                    > HEX
                    > tarp. Especially since there is more room for me to hang out in the rain.

                    run the hammock side tie out to where the hex tie out starts.

                    Ralph