Re: [Hammock Camping] Hammock rain fly's

  • Dylan Anderson
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 31, 2006
      Unless I am mistaken, the Golight 2 is 18 oz?

      The difference in shape is mostly supposed to be about
      wieght. After all, the Hennesy hex fly is something
      like 12 foot by 11 foot where as the Golight is a 10 X
      8 rectangle and they are similar in weight. Now
      understandavly the cut off corners of the hex will
      have less coverage, but you gain more coverage out to
      the sides. And let me tell you (I have a Safari with
      the hex fly) it covers A LOT. It's just about the
      biggest tarp I would consider carrying on a
      backpacking trip. I have several times considered
      trying to make a lighter wieght version, but I just
      cannot see how I could and still have the durability I
      want. After all, that is a lot of sail area to have
      subjected to winds forces, and I am certain in one
      storm it was putting up with a couple hundred pounds
      of force. I don't think 1.1 would take that reliably.

      --- Scott Macri <hacktorious@...> wrote:

      > What is the difference between using the HH 30D HEX
      > rain fly ($130 - 19 oz.)
      > vs. using a Golight tarp2 ($70 - 14 oz.)? Is there
      > any advantage to the HEX
      > shape? I suppose I could return my current asym fly
      > and pay the difference
      > for a HEX, which would make the HEX about $70 or so.
      > Please don't tell me 5
      > oz. LOL
      >
      > I am thinking I might make my own when I finally get
      > a sewing machine. I
      > would definitely cost much less. Any suggestions on
      > the best shapes to use?
      >
      > Thanks.
      >

      > --
      > Scott A. Macri
      > Trail Name: Mowgli
      > www.HikeHaven.com
      > http://360.yahoo.com/hacktorious

      > removed]

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Keith
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 31, 2006
        There is, of course, the MacDaddy of all tarps (IMHO), the MacCat:

        http://www.outdoorequipmentsupplier.com/maccattarps.htm

        This is about the most well-made, nicest design I've seen. Also check
        out Jeff's page for a review. I'd love to get one, but money is an
        issue at the moment.

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Dylan Anderson <hum469@...> wrote:

        > Unless I am mistaken, the Golight 2 is 18 oz?
        >
        > The difference in shape is mostly supposed to be about
        > wieght. After all, the Hennesy hex fly is something
        > like 12 foot by 11 foot where as the Golight is a 10 X
        > 8 rectangle and they are similar in weight. Now
        > understandavly the cut off corners of the hex will
        > have less coverage, but you gain more coverage out to
        > the sides. And let me tell you (I have a Safari with
        > the hex fly) it covers A LOT. It's just about the
        > biggest tarp I would consider carrying on a
        > backpacking trip. I have several times considered
        > trying to make a lighter wieght version, but I just
        > cannot see how I could and still have the durability I
        > want. After all, that is a lot of sail area to have
        > subjected to winds forces, and I am certain in one
        > storm it was putting up with a couple hundred pounds
        > of force. I don't think 1.1 would take that reliably.
        >

        > --- Scott Macri <hacktorious@...> wrote:
        >
        > > What is the difference between using the HH 30D HEX
        > > rain fly ($130 - 19 oz.)
        > > vs. using a Golight tarp2 ($70 - 14 oz.)? Is there
        > > any advantage to the HEX
        > > shape? I suppose I could return my current asym fly
        > > and pay the difference
        > > for a HEX, which would make the HEX about $70 or so.
        > > Please don't tell me 5
        > > oz. LOL
        > >
        > > I am thinking I might make my own when I finally get
        > > a sewing machine. I
        > > would definitely cost much less. Any suggestions on
        > > the best shapes to use?
        > >
        > > Thanks.
        > >

        > > --
        > > Scott A. Macri
        > > Trail Name: Mowgli
        > > www.HikeHaven.com
        > > http://360.yahoo.com/hacktorious

        > > removed]
        > >

        > Though I may die tomorrow, at least I can do it with the knowledge
        that once I did know true love -unknown

        > http://mail.yahoo.com

      • Scott Macri
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 31, 2006
          That looks pretty nice. Does anyone know how much the HH asym for the UL
          backpacker weighs? It isn't listed on their site and I misplaced my scale.

          --

          On 7/31/06, Keith <pulse_0ptional@...> wrote:

          > There is, of course, the MacDaddy of all tarps (IMHO), the MacCat:
          >
          > http://www.outdoorequipmentsupplier.com/maccattarps.htm
          >
          > This is about the most well-made, nicest design I've seen. Also check
          > out Jeff's page for a review. I'd love to get one, but money is an
          > issue at the moment.

        • Scott Macri
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 31, 2006
            My concern with the HEX tarps is the tie outs on the sides of the HH. I
            notice when I tie them to the ground it doesn't work as well as if they are
            horizontal. This may interfere with the tarp. I do like the idea of a HEX
            tarp. Especially since there is more room for me to hang out in the rain.

            --
            Scott A. Macri
            Trail Name: Mowgli
            www.HikeHaven.com
            http://360.yahoo.com/hacktorious

            On 7/31/06, Keith < pulse_0ptional@...> wrote:

            > > There is, of course, the MacDaddy of all tarps (IMHO), the MacCat:
            > >
            > > http://www.outdoorequipmentsupplier.com/maccattarps.htm
            > >
            > > This is about the most well-made, nicest design I've seen. Also check
            > > out Jeff's page for a review. I'd love to get one, but money is an
            > > issue at the moment.

          • Keith
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 31, 2006
              It's 7 oz., according to Jeff.

              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Scott Macri" <hacktorious@...>
              wrote:

              > That looks pretty nice. Does anyone know how much the HH asym for
              the UL
              > backpacker weighs? It isn't listed on their site and I misplaced my
              scale.

              > --
              > Scott A. Macri
              > Trail Name: Mowgli
              > www.HikeHaven.com
              > http://360.yahoo.com/hacktorious
              >
              > On 7/31/06, Keith <pulse_0ptional@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > There is, of course, the MacDaddy of all tarps (IMHO), the MacCat:
              > >
              > > http://www.outdoorequipmentsupplier.com/maccattarps.htm
              > >
              > > This is about the most well-made, nicest design I've seen. Also check
              > > out Jeff's page for a review. I'd love to get one, but money is an
              > > issue at the moment.

            • Keith
              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 31, 2006
                I'm not really sure how this is an issue with hex tarps....

                I've never had a problem tying my asyms to the ground, but if you
                don't like it, here's a cool solution:

                Brian removed his bugnet entirely, but I think the idea would work
                without doing that.

                wrote:

                > My concern with the HEX tarps is the tie outs on the sides of the HH. I
                > notice when I tie them to the ground it doesn't work as well as if
                they are
                > horizontal. This may interfere with the tarp. I do like the idea
                of a HEX
                > tarp. Especially since there is more room for me to hang out in the
                rain.

                > --
                > Scott A. Macri
                > Trail Name: Mowgli
                > www.HikeHaven.com
                > http://360.yahoo.com/hacktorious
                >

                > On 7/31/06, Keith < pulse_0ptional@...> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > There is, of course, the MacDaddy of all tarps (IMHO), the MacCat:
                > > >
                > > > http://www.outdoorequipmentsupplier.com/maccattarps.htm
                > > >
                > > > This is about the most well-made, nicest design I've seen. Also
                check
                > > > out Jeff's page for a review. I'd love to get one, but money is an
                > > > issue at the moment.

              • Dylan Anderson
                Message 7 of 11 , Aug 1, 2006
                  What I do in with mine is I tie the side tieouts to
                  the tarp itself. The hex fly has little clips at the
                  corners, so I tied my side pullouts in a series of
                  daisy chain like loops. That way, no matter how high
                  or low I choose to set the tarp, I can clip the
                  hammock's side pulls to the tarp at the right lenths.
                  In bad weather, the added bonus I see to this setup is
                  that it puts some tension on the fly, keeping it
                  tighter. It also pulls those corners closest to my
                  head and feet down just a little bit further, keeping
                  me well protected.

                  -Dylan

                  --- Scott Macri <hacktorious@...> wrote:

                  > My concern with the HEX tarps is the tie outs on the
                  > sides of the HH. I
                  > notice when I tie them to the ground it doesn't work
                  > as well as if they are
                  > horizontal. This may interfere with the tarp. I
                  > do like the idea of a HEX
                  > tarp. Especially since there is more room for me to
                  > hang out in the rain.
                  >
                  > --
                  > Scott A. Macri
                  > Trail Name: Mowgli
                  > www.HikeHaven.com
                  > http://360.yahoo.com/hacktorious
                  >

                  > On 7/31/06, Keith < pulse_0ptional@...> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > There is, of course, the MacDaddy of all tarps
                  > (IMHO), the MacCat:

                  http://www.outdoorequipmentsupplier.com/maccattarps.htm

                  > > > This is about the most well-made, nicest design
                  > I've seen. Also check
                  > > > out Jeff's page for a review. I'd love to get
                  > one, but money is an
                  > > > issue at the moment.

                  > removed]

                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                • Scott Macri
                  Message 8 of 11 , Aug 1, 2006
                    Take a look at the photos on my blog page. I clipped the asym tarp the the
                    tie-outs on the hammock. It seems to be a great setup for a nasty storm.

                    --

                    On 8/1/06, Dylan Anderson <hum469@...> wrote:

                    > What I do in with mine is I tie the side tieouts to
                    > the tarp itself. The hex fly has little clips at the
                    > corners, so I tied my side pullouts in a series of
                    > daisy chain like loops. That way, no matter how high
                    > or low I choose to set the tarp, I can clip the
                    > hammock's side pulls to the tarp at the right lenths.
                    > In bad weather, the added bonus I see to this setup is
                    > that it puts some tension on the fly, keeping it
                    > tighter. It also pulls those corners closest to my
                    > head and feet down just a little bit further, keeping
                    > me well protected.
                    >
                    > -Dylan

                  • Ralph Oborn
                    Message 9 of 11 , Aug 1, 2006
                      On 7/31/06, Scott Macri <hacktorious@...> wrote:

                      > My concern with the HEX tarps is the tie outs on the sides of the HH. I
                      > notice when I tie them to the ground it doesn't work as well as if they
                      > are
                      > horizontal. This may interfere with the tarp. I do like the idea of a
                      > HEX
                      > tarp. Especially since there is more room for me to hang out in the rain.

                      run the hammock side tie out to where the hex tie out starts.

                      Ralph