Re: Hammock rain fly's

  • Keith
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 31 7:33 PM
      I just ordered a Guide Gear 9x9 tarp. It's square, with cat cuts.
      I'll try it out as soon as it gets here and let everybody know how I
      like it. I'll probably make my own out of silnylon later if I like
      the design. By the way, it weighs about 24 oz (with the included
      tie-outs)...I know, I know, very heavy...but it only cost $40, with
      tax and shipping! :)

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Scott Macri" <hacktorious@...>
      wrote:

      > What is the difference between using the HH 30D HEX rain fly ($130 -
      19 oz.)
      > vs. using a Golight tarp2 ($70 - 14 oz.)? Is there any advantage to
      the HEX
      > shape? I suppose I could return my current asym fly and pay the
      difference
      > for a HEX, which would make the HEX about $70 or so. Please don't
      tell me 5
      > oz. LOL
      >
      > I am thinking I might make my own when I finally get a sewing
      machine. I
      > would definitely cost much less. Any suggestions on the best shapes
      to use?

      > Thanks.
      >

      > --
      > Scott A. Macri
      > Trail Name: Mowgli
      > www.HikeHaven.com
      > http://360.yahoo.com/hacktorious

    • Dylan Anderson
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 31 7:55 PM
        Unless I am mistaken, the Golight 2 is 18 oz?

        The difference in shape is mostly supposed to be about
        wieght. After all, the Hennesy hex fly is something
        like 12 foot by 11 foot where as the Golight is a 10 X
        8 rectangle and they are similar in weight. Now
        understandavly the cut off corners of the hex will
        have less coverage, but you gain more coverage out to
        the sides. And let me tell you (I have a Safari with
        the hex fly) it covers A LOT. It's just about the
        biggest tarp I would consider carrying on a
        backpacking trip. I have several times considered
        trying to make a lighter wieght version, but I just
        cannot see how I could and still have the durability I
        want. After all, that is a lot of sail area to have
        subjected to winds forces, and I am certain in one
        storm it was putting up with a couple hundred pounds
        of force. I don't think 1.1 would take that reliably.

        --- Scott Macri <hacktorious@...> wrote:

        > What is the difference between using the HH 30D HEX
        > rain fly ($130 - 19 oz.)
        > vs. using a Golight tarp2 ($70 - 14 oz.)? Is there
        > any advantage to the HEX
        > shape? I suppose I could return my current asym fly
        > and pay the difference
        > for a HEX, which would make the HEX about $70 or so.
        > Please don't tell me 5
        > oz. LOL
        >
        > I am thinking I might make my own when I finally get
        > a sewing machine. I
        > would definitely cost much less. Any suggestions on
        > the best shapes to use?
        >
        > Thanks.
        >

        > --
        > Scott A. Macri
        > Trail Name: Mowgli
        > www.HikeHaven.com
        > http://360.yahoo.com/hacktorious

        > removed]

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Keith
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 31 8:06 PM
          There is, of course, the MacDaddy of all tarps (IMHO), the MacCat:

          http://www.outdoorequipmentsupplier.com/maccattarps.htm

          This is about the most well-made, nicest design I've seen. Also check
          out Jeff's page for a review. I'd love to get one, but money is an
          issue at the moment.

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Dylan Anderson <hum469@...> wrote:

          > Unless I am mistaken, the Golight 2 is 18 oz?
          >
          > The difference in shape is mostly supposed to be about
          > wieght. After all, the Hennesy hex fly is something
          > like 12 foot by 11 foot where as the Golight is a 10 X
          > 8 rectangle and they are similar in weight. Now
          > understandavly the cut off corners of the hex will
          > have less coverage, but you gain more coverage out to
          > the sides. And let me tell you (I have a Safari with
          > the hex fly) it covers A LOT. It's just about the
          > biggest tarp I would consider carrying on a
          > backpacking trip. I have several times considered
          > trying to make a lighter wieght version, but I just
          > cannot see how I could and still have the durability I
          > want. After all, that is a lot of sail area to have
          > subjected to winds forces, and I am certain in one
          > storm it was putting up with a couple hundred pounds
          > of force. I don't think 1.1 would take that reliably.
          >

          > --- Scott Macri <hacktorious@...> wrote:
          >
          > > What is the difference between using the HH 30D HEX
          > > rain fly ($130 - 19 oz.)
          > > vs. using a Golight tarp2 ($70 - 14 oz.)? Is there
          > > any advantage to the HEX
          > > shape? I suppose I could return my current asym fly
          > > and pay the difference
          > > for a HEX, which would make the HEX about $70 or so.
          > > Please don't tell me 5
          > > oz. LOL
          > >
          > > I am thinking I might make my own when I finally get
          > > a sewing machine. I
          > > would definitely cost much less. Any suggestions on
          > > the best shapes to use?
          > >
          > > Thanks.
          > >

          > > --
          > > Scott A. Macri
          > > Trail Name: Mowgli
          > > www.HikeHaven.com
          > > http://360.yahoo.com/hacktorious

          > > removed]
          > >

          > Though I may die tomorrow, at least I can do it with the knowledge
          that once I did know true love -unknown

          > http://mail.yahoo.com

        • Scott Macri
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 31 8:59 PM
            That looks pretty nice. Does anyone know how much the HH asym for the UL
            backpacker weighs? It isn't listed on their site and I misplaced my scale.

            --

            On 7/31/06, Keith <pulse_0ptional@...> wrote:

            > There is, of course, the MacDaddy of all tarps (IMHO), the MacCat:
            >
            > http://www.outdoorequipmentsupplier.com/maccattarps.htm
            >
            > This is about the most well-made, nicest design I've seen. Also check
            > out Jeff's page for a review. I'd love to get one, but money is an
            > issue at the moment.

          • Scott Macri
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 31 9:19 PM
              My concern with the HEX tarps is the tie outs on the sides of the HH. I
              notice when I tie them to the ground it doesn't work as well as if they are
              horizontal. This may interfere with the tarp. I do like the idea of a HEX
              tarp. Especially since there is more room for me to hang out in the rain.

              --
              Scott A. Macri
              Trail Name: Mowgli
              www.HikeHaven.com
              http://360.yahoo.com/hacktorious

              On 7/31/06, Keith < pulse_0ptional@...> wrote:

              > > There is, of course, the MacDaddy of all tarps (IMHO), the MacCat:
              > >
              > > http://www.outdoorequipmentsupplier.com/maccattarps.htm
              > >
              > > This is about the most well-made, nicest design I've seen. Also check
              > > out Jeff's page for a review. I'd love to get one, but money is an
              > > issue at the moment.

            • Keith
              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 31 9:38 PM
                It's 7 oz., according to Jeff.

                wrote:

                > That looks pretty nice. Does anyone know how much the HH asym for
                the UL
                > backpacker weighs? It isn't listed on their site and I misplaced my
                scale.

                > --
                > Scott A. Macri
                > Trail Name: Mowgli
                > www.HikeHaven.com
                > http://360.yahoo.com/hacktorious
                >
                > On 7/31/06, Keith <pulse_0ptional@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > There is, of course, the MacDaddy of all tarps (IMHO), the MacCat:
                > >
                > > http://www.outdoorequipmentsupplier.com/maccattarps.htm
                > >
                > > This is about the most well-made, nicest design I've seen. Also check
                > > out Jeff's page for a review. I'd love to get one, but money is an
                > > issue at the moment.

              • Keith
                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 31 9:41 PM
                  I'm not really sure how this is an issue with hex tarps....

                  I've never had a problem tying my asyms to the ground, but if you
                  don't like it, here's a cool solution:

                  Brian removed his bugnet entirely, but I think the idea would work
                  without doing that.

                  wrote:

                  > My concern with the HEX tarps is the tie outs on the sides of the HH. I
                  > notice when I tie them to the ground it doesn't work as well as if
                  they are
                  > horizontal. This may interfere with the tarp. I do like the idea
                  of a HEX
                  > tarp. Especially since there is more room for me to hang out in the
                  rain.

                  > --
                  > Scott A. Macri
                  > Trail Name: Mowgli
                  > www.HikeHaven.com
                  > http://360.yahoo.com/hacktorious
                  >

                  > On 7/31/06, Keith < pulse_0ptional@...> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > There is, of course, the MacDaddy of all tarps (IMHO), the MacCat:
                  > > >
                  > > > http://www.outdoorequipmentsupplier.com/maccattarps.htm
                  > > >
                  > > > This is about the most well-made, nicest design I've seen. Also
                  check
                  > > > out Jeff's page for a review. I'd love to get one, but money is an
                  > > > issue at the moment.

                • Dylan Anderson
                  Message 8 of 11 , Aug 1, 2006
                    What I do in with mine is I tie the side tieouts to
                    the tarp itself. The hex fly has little clips at the
                    corners, so I tied my side pullouts in a series of
                    daisy chain like loops. That way, no matter how high
                    or low I choose to set the tarp, I can clip the
                    hammock's side pulls to the tarp at the right lenths.
                    In bad weather, the added bonus I see to this setup is
                    that it puts some tension on the fly, keeping it
                    tighter. It also pulls those corners closest to my
                    head and feet down just a little bit further, keeping
                    me well protected.

                    -Dylan

                    --- Scott Macri <hacktorious@...> wrote:

                    > My concern with the HEX tarps is the tie outs on the
                    > sides of the HH. I
                    > notice when I tie them to the ground it doesn't work
                    > as well as if they are
                    > horizontal. This may interfere with the tarp. I
                    > do like the idea of a HEX
                    > tarp. Especially since there is more room for me to
                    > hang out in the rain.
                    >
                    > --
                    > Scott A. Macri
                    > Trail Name: Mowgli
                    > www.HikeHaven.com
                    > http://360.yahoo.com/hacktorious
                    >

                    > On 7/31/06, Keith < pulse_0ptional@...> wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > There is, of course, the MacDaddy of all tarps
                    > (IMHO), the MacCat:

                    http://www.outdoorequipmentsupplier.com/maccattarps.htm

                    > > > This is about the most well-made, nicest design
                    > I've seen. Also check
                    > > > out Jeff's page for a review. I'd love to get
                    > one, but money is an
                    > > > issue at the moment.

                    > removed]

                    http://mail.yahoo.com
                  • Scott Macri
                    Message 9 of 11 , Aug 1, 2006
                      Take a look at the photos on my blog page. I clipped the asym tarp the the
                      tie-outs on the hammock. It seems to be a great setup for a nasty storm.

                      --

                      On 8/1/06, Dylan Anderson <hum469@...> wrote:

                      > What I do in with mine is I tie the side tieouts to
                      > the tarp itself. The hex fly has little clips at the
                      > corners, so I tied my side pullouts in a series of
                      > daisy chain like loops. That way, no matter how high
                      > or low I choose to set the tarp, I can clip the
                      > hammock's side pulls to the tarp at the right lenths.
                      > In bad weather, the added bonus I see to this setup is
                      > that it puts some tension on the fly, keeping it
                      > tighter. It also pulls those corners closest to my
                      > head and feet down just a little bit further, keeping
                      > me well protected.
                      >
                      > -Dylan

                    • Ralph Oborn
                      Message 10 of 11 , Aug 1, 2006
                        On 7/31/06, Scott Macri <hacktorious@...> wrote:

                        > My concern with the HEX tarps is the tie outs on the sides of the HH. I
                        > notice when I tie them to the ground it doesn't work as well as if they
                        > are
                        > horizontal. This may interfere with the tarp. I do like the idea of a
                        > HEX
                        > tarp. Especially since there is more room for me to hang out in the rain.

                        run the hammock side tie out to where the hex tie out starts.

                        Ralph