[Hammock Camping] Re: Gear hammock/pack cover

  • Keith
    Message 1 of 19 , Jul 31, 2006
      Damn...that IS spooky. It's not how far the sound actually CARRIES,
      though. Not in the woods. I think it's more how your mind and
      imagination amplify it. Especially without all the 'in town'
      background level you're used to.

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Scott Macri" <hacktorious@...>
      wrote:

      > Check this out: *http://tinyurl.com/gzvqz* <http://tinyurl.com/gzvqz>
      > Click the play sound link on the right side of the page. That is a
      spooky
      > sound.
      >
      > That is the closest thing I can find to the howling I heard, but it
      was a
      > little different. More like a wharewolf or something. LOL
      >
      > I found a lake about 3 miles from where I was camping, but it is on the
      > other side of a 3000 foot mountain. I am not certain it would carry
      that
      > far and sound so close.
      >
      > --
      > Scott A. Macri
      > Trail Name: Mowgli
      > www.HikeHaven.com
      > http://360.yahoo.com/hacktorious
      >
      > On 7/31/06, Keith <pulse_0ptional@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Funny how things always sound bigger than they are, isn't it? lol A
      > > chipmunk at 100 yds. can sound like a bear....but a lot of that is
      > > your imagination, too. I honestly feel much safer in my hammock than
      > > in a t$*p - I really don't think an animal would actually try to
      get IN.

      > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com
      <hammockcamping%40yahoogroups.com>,
      > > "Neville, Rob"
      > >
      > > <Robert.Neville@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > "Whatever it was, It sounded like
      > > > it was hopping around like a kangaroo. LOL"
      > > >
      > > > I had a restless night a few weeks ago with a similar
      sound....and it
      > > > was LOUD and CLOSE...freaked me out because it was one of those
      really
      > > > quiet nights. Finally caught the sucker in my flashlight...it turned
      > > > out to be a huge toad :D

      > > .

    • Scott
      Message 2 of 19 , Jul 31, 2006
        Here is a link to some pretty eery sounds...
        http://www.bfro.net/REF/bfmedia.asp

        Maybe it *was* a Bigfoot! ;-)

        The "other" Scott (in Idaho)

        wrote:

        > Check this out: *http://tinyurl.com/gzvqz* <http://tinyurl.com/gzvqz>
        > Click the play sound link on the right side of the page. That is a
        spooky
        > sound.
        >
        > That is the closest thing I can find to the howling I heard, but it
        was a
        > little different. More like a wharewolf or something. LOL
        >
        > I found a lake about 3 miles from where I was camping, but it is on the
        > other side of a 3000 foot mountain. I am not certain it would carry
        that
        > far and sound so close.
        >
        > --
        > Scott A. Macri
        > Trail Name: Mowgli
        > www.HikeHaven.com
        > http://360.yahoo.com/hacktorious
        >
        > On 7/31/06, Keith <pulse_0ptional@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > Funny how things always sound bigger than they are, isn't it? lol A
        > > chipmunk at 100 yds. can sound like a bear....but a lot of that is
        > > your imagination, too. I honestly feel much safer in my hammock than
        > > in a t$*p - I really don't think an animal would actually try to
        get IN.

        > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com
        <hammockcamping%40yahoogroups.com>,
        > > "Neville, Rob"
        > >
        > > <Robert.Neville@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > "Whatever it was, It sounded like
        > > > it was hopping around like a kangaroo. LOL"
        > > >
        > > > I had a restless night a few weeks ago with a similar
        sound....and it
        > > > was LOUD and CLOSE...freaked me out because it was one of those
        really
        > > > quiet nights. Finally caught the sucker in my flashlight...it turned
        > > > out to be a huge toad :D

        > > .

      • Scott Macri
        Message 3 of 19 , Aug 1, 2006
          OK, now I am starting to get scared. I have been listening to sound files
          all day and was beginning to think it was Wolves, or Coyotes. It sounded
          more like Wolves, but it was making some weird unidentifiably noises; maybe
          it was both. That is until I heard these clips:
          http://www.bfro.net/avevid/dennis/kiaftstps1.mp3
          http://www.bfro.net/avevid/SierraSounds/Whoop.mp3

          YIKES....... Play them both at the same time and take out the knocking;
          that my friends is what I heard. One of the sounds was kind of a scream,
          which could likely be passed off as a Coyote, or Wolf. The knocking in that
          mp3 makes me think it is a fake. There was more howling than whooping, but
          there was definitely whooping like that. Everytime I play these clips I get
          chills up my spine.

          I have to go back to that place to see what I can hear again. I will bring
          a recorder. Do I have any volunteers willing to tag along. Not sure I am
          up to going out there alone again. LOL

          --

          On 8/1/06, Scott <scotth61@...> wrote:

          > Here is a link to some pretty eery sounds...
          > http://www.bfro.net/REF/bfmedia.asp
          >
          > Maybe it *was* a Bigfoot! ;-)
          >
          > The "other" Scott (in Idaho)

          > "Scott Macri" <hacktorious@...>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > Check this out: *http://tinyurl.com/gzvqz* <http://tinyurl.com/gzvqz>
          > > Click the play sound link on the right side of the page. That is a
          > spooky
          > > sound.
          > >
          > > That is the closest thing I can find to the howling I heard, but it
          > was a
          > > little different. More like a wharewolf or something. LOL
          > >
          > > I found a lake about 3 miles from where I was camping, but it is on the
          > > other side of a 3000 foot mountain. I am not certain it would carry
          > that
          > > far and sound so close.
          > >
          > > --
          > > Scott A. Macri
          > > Trail Name: Mowgli
          > > www.HikeHaven.com
          > > http://360.yahoo.com/hacktorious
          > >
          > > On 7/31/06, Keith <pulse_0ptional@...> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > Funny how things always sound bigger than they are, isn't it? lol A
          > > > chipmunk at 100 yds. can sound like a bear....but a lot of that is
          > > > your imagination, too. I honestly feel much safer in my hammock than
          > > > in a t$*p - I really don't think an animal would actually try to
          > get IN.
          > > >
          > > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com<hammockcamping%40yahoogroups.com>
          > <hammockcamping%40yahoogroups.com>,

          > sound....and it
          > really

          > > > .

        • Keith
          Message 4 of 19 , Aug 1, 2006
            I don't think you want me to go....my wife gets pretty irritated when
            I chuckle at her 'bump in the night' phobias....:P

            wrote:

            > OK, now I am starting to get scared. I have been listening to sound
            files
            > all day and was beginning to think it was Wolves, or Coyotes. It
            sounded
            > more like Wolves, but it was making some weird unidentifiably
            noises; maybe
            > it was both. That is until I heard these clips:
            > http://www.bfro.net/avevid/dennis/kiaftstps1.mp3
            > http://www.bfro.net/avevid/SierraSounds/Whoop.mp3
            >
            > YIKES....... Play them both at the same time and take out the knocking;
            > that my friends is what I heard. One of the sounds was kind of a
            scream,
            > which could likely be passed off as a Coyote, or Wolf. The knocking
            in that
            > mp3 makes me think it is a fake. There was more howling than
            whooping, but
            > there was definitely whooping like that. Everytime I play these
            clips I get
            > chills up my spine.
            >
            > I have to go back to that place to see what I can hear again. I
            will bring
            > a recorder. Do I have any volunteers willing to tag along. Not
            sure I am
            > up to going out there alone again. LOL
            >
            > --
            > Scott A. Macri
            > Trail Name: Mowgli
            > www.HikeHaven.com
            > http://360.yahoo.com/hacktorious
            >
            > On 8/1/06, Scott <scotth61@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > Here is a link to some pretty eery sounds...
            > > http://www.bfro.net/REF/bfmedia.asp
            > >
            > > Maybe it *was* a Bigfoot! ;-)
            > >
            > > The "other" Scott (in Idaho)
            > >
            > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com
            <hammockcamping%40yahoogroups.com>,
            > > "Scott Macri" <hacktorious@>
            > > wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Check this out: *http://tinyurl.com/gzvqz*
            <http://tinyurl.com/gzvqz>
            > > > Click the play sound link on the right side of the page. That is a
            > > spooky
            > > > sound.
            > > >
            > > > That is the closest thing I can find to the howling I heard, but it
            > > was a
            > > > little different. More like a wharewolf or something. LOL
            > > >
            > > > I found a lake about 3 miles from where I was camping, but it is
            on the
            > > > other side of a 3000 foot mountain. I am not certain it would carry
            > > that
            > > > far and sound so close.
            > > >
            > > > --
            > > > Scott A. Macri
            > > > Trail Name: Mowgli
            > > > www.HikeHaven.com
            > > > http://360.yahoo.com/hacktorious

            lol A
            > > get IN.

            hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com<hammockcamping%40yahoogroups.com>
            > > <hammockcamping%40yahoogroups.com>,

            > > sound....and it
            > > really

          • Scott Macri
            Message 5 of 19 , Aug 1, 2006
              I'll probably go alone again. I need to borrow a night camera setup. If it
              was Wolves or something I would love to get some photos.

              Message 6 of 19 , Aug 1, 2006
                Hey, that's a great idea! Here's what you should do:

                Borrow a video camera with night vision. Most of 'em have it, even
                the cheaper ones. When you get to camp, set the camera up so it's
                pointing at your hammock. Get in your hammock and hang a nice, fresh
                pork chop from your ridgeline. Sit and wait.

                The rest of us can start a pool on how far you get dragged in your 'to
                go bag' before the wolves figure out how to get you out....any takers? :P

                On the upside, if you survive, you'll be able to sell the video!! I
                know I'd buy it! LOL

                Message 7 of 19 , Aug 1, 2006
                  Mmmm, pork chops. Time for lunch. LOL

                  I'll tell my wife to increase my life insurance policy. LOL