Re: [Hammock Camping] Double Loop System

  • list@moz.geek.nz
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 31, 2006
      Scott said:
      > take your poly strap with a loop tied in each end, wrap it
      > around a tree as many times as you can

      How long are your straps? Or how small are the trees, I suppose. I
      usually find that I can't wrap the Hennessey straps once around the
      tree, let alone more than once. This with small trees... I carry
      10m of cord so I can go round the bigger trees if I need to (but
      I prefer to go up until the tree is small enough to fit the straps :)

      > The friction from pulling is causing the issue, not from hanging.

      Try pulling the rope tight back toward the tree, then out and round
      towards you. That means you're not pulling the rope through the tape
      under tension, and I find I can get just as tight that way. Of course,
      if the tree is so small that it's moving when you get into the hammock,
      perhaps you need to pre-tension the tree? Or run a rope from the
      suspension tree to ground level on a tree behind it to help hold it up?

      Moz
    • Scott Macri
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 31, 2006
        The trees have 15 + " diameters.
        --
        Scott A. Macri
        Trail Name: Mowgli

        On 7/31/06, list@... <list@...> wrote:

        > Scott said:
        > > take your poly strap with a loop tied in each end, wrap it
        > > around a tree as many times as you can
        >
        > How long are your straps? Or how small are the trees, I suppose. I
        > usually find that I can't wrap the Hennessey straps once around the
        > tree, let alone more than once. This with small trees... I carry
        > 10m of cord so I can go round the bigger trees if I need to (but
        > I prefer to go up until the tree is small enough to fit the straps :)
        >

        > > The friction from pulling is causing the issue, not from hanging.
        >
        > Try pulling the rope tight back toward the tree, then out and round
        > towards you. That means you're not pulling the rope through the tape
        > under tension, and I find I can get just as tight that way. Of course,
        > if the tree is so small that it's moving when you get into the hammock,
        > perhaps you need to pre-tension the tree? Or run a rope from the
        > suspension tree to ground level on a tree behind it to help hold it up?
        >
        > Moz

        us