Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: Gear hammock/pack cover

  • Scott Macri
    Message 1 of 19 , Jul 31 6:22 PM
      Check this out: *http://tinyurl.com/gzvqz* <http://tinyurl.com/gzvqz>
      Click the play sound link on the right side of the page. That is a spooky
      sound.

      That is the closest thing I can find to the howling I heard, but it was a
      little different. More like a wharewolf or something. LOL

      I found a lake about 3 miles from where I was camping, but it is on the
      other side of a 3000 foot mountain. I am not certain it would carry that
      far and sound so close.

      --
      Scott A. Macri
      Trail Name: Mowgli

      On 7/31/06, Keith <pulse_0ptional@...> wrote:

      > Funny how things always sound bigger than they are, isn't it? lol A
      > chipmunk at 100 yds. can sound like a bear....but a lot of that is
      > your imagination, too. I honestly feel much safer in my hammock than
      > in a t$*p - I really don't think an animal would actually try to get IN.

      > "Neville, Rob"
      >
      > <Robert.Neville@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > "Whatever it was, It sounded like
      > > it was hopping around like a kangaroo. LOL"
      > >
      > > I had a restless night a few weeks ago with a similar sound....and it
      > > was LOUD and CLOSE...freaked me out because it was one of those really
      > > quiet nights. Finally caught the sucker in my flashlight...it turned
      > > out to be a huge toad :D

      > .

    • Keith
      Message 2 of 19 , Jul 31 7:30 PM
        Damn...that IS spooky. It's not how far the sound actually CARRIES,
        though. Not in the woods. I think it's more how your mind and
        imagination amplify it. Especially without all the 'in town'
        background level you're used to.

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Scott Macri" <hacktorious@...>
        wrote:

        > Check this out: *http://tinyurl.com/gzvqz* <http://tinyurl.com/gzvqz>
        > Click the play sound link on the right side of the page. That is a
        spooky
        > sound.
        >
        > That is the closest thing I can find to the howling I heard, but it
        was a
        > little different. More like a wharewolf or something. LOL
        >
        > I found a lake about 3 miles from where I was camping, but it is on the
        > other side of a 3000 foot mountain. I am not certain it would carry
        that
        > far and sound so close.
        >
        > --
        > Scott A. Macri
        > Trail Name: Mowgli
        > www.HikeHaven.com
        > http://360.yahoo.com/hacktorious
        >
        > On 7/31/06, Keith <pulse_0ptional@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > Funny how things always sound bigger than they are, isn't it? lol A
        > > chipmunk at 100 yds. can sound like a bear....but a lot of that is
        > > your imagination, too. I honestly feel much safer in my hammock than
        > > in a t$*p - I really don't think an animal would actually try to
        get IN.

        > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com
        <hammockcamping%40yahoogroups.com>,
        > > "Neville, Rob"
        > >
        > > <Robert.Neville@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > "Whatever it was, It sounded like
        > > > it was hopping around like a kangaroo. LOL"
        > > >
        > > > I had a restless night a few weeks ago with a similar
        sound....and it
        > > > was LOUD and CLOSE...freaked me out because it was one of those
        really
        > > > quiet nights. Finally caught the sucker in my flashlight...it turned
        > > > out to be a huge toad :D

        > > .

      • Scott
        Message 3 of 19 , Jul 31 11:50 PM
          Here is a link to some pretty eery sounds...
          http://www.bfro.net/REF/bfmedia.asp

          Maybe it *was* a Bigfoot! ;-)

          The "other" Scott (in Idaho)

          wrote:

          > Check this out: *http://tinyurl.com/gzvqz* <http://tinyurl.com/gzvqz>
          > Click the play sound link on the right side of the page. That is a
          spooky
          > sound.
          >
          > That is the closest thing I can find to the howling I heard, but it
          was a
          > little different. More like a wharewolf or something. LOL
          >
          > I found a lake about 3 miles from where I was camping, but it is on the
          > other side of a 3000 foot mountain. I am not certain it would carry
          that
          > far and sound so close.
          >
          > --
          > Scott A. Macri
          > Trail Name: Mowgli
          > www.HikeHaven.com
          > http://360.yahoo.com/hacktorious
          >
          > On 7/31/06, Keith <pulse_0ptional@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Funny how things always sound bigger than they are, isn't it? lol A
          > > chipmunk at 100 yds. can sound like a bear....but a lot of that is
          > > your imagination, too. I honestly feel much safer in my hammock than
          > > in a t$*p - I really don't think an animal would actually try to
          get IN.

          > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com
          <hammockcamping%40yahoogroups.com>,
          > > "Neville, Rob"
          > >
          > > <Robert.Neville@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > "Whatever it was, It sounded like
          > > > it was hopping around like a kangaroo. LOL"
          > > >
          > > > I had a restless night a few weeks ago with a similar
          sound....and it
          > > > was LOUD and CLOSE...freaked me out because it was one of those
          really
          > > > quiet nights. Finally caught the sucker in my flashlight...it turned
          > > > out to be a huge toad :D

          > > .

        • Scott Macri
          Message 4 of 19 , Aug 1, 2006
            OK, now I am starting to get scared. I have been listening to sound files
            all day and was beginning to think it was Wolves, or Coyotes. It sounded
            more like Wolves, but it was making some weird unidentifiably noises; maybe
            it was both. That is until I heard these clips:
            http://www.bfro.net/avevid/dennis/kiaftstps1.mp3
            http://www.bfro.net/avevid/SierraSounds/Whoop.mp3

            YIKES....... Play them both at the same time and take out the knocking;
            that my friends is what I heard. One of the sounds was kind of a scream,
            which could likely be passed off as a Coyote, or Wolf. The knocking in that
            mp3 makes me think it is a fake. There was more howling than whooping, but
            there was definitely whooping like that. Everytime I play these clips I get
            chills up my spine.

            I have to go back to that place to see what I can hear again. I will bring
            a recorder. Do I have any volunteers willing to tag along. Not sure I am
            up to going out there alone again. LOL

            --

            On 8/1/06, Scott <scotth61@...> wrote:

            > Here is a link to some pretty eery sounds...
            > http://www.bfro.net/REF/bfmedia.asp
            >
            > Maybe it *was* a Bigfoot! ;-)
            >
            > The "other" Scott (in Idaho)

            > "Scott Macri" <hacktorious@...>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > Check this out: *http://tinyurl.com/gzvqz* <http://tinyurl.com/gzvqz>
            > > Click the play sound link on the right side of the page. That is a
            > spooky
            > > sound.
            > >
            > > That is the closest thing I can find to the howling I heard, but it
            > was a
            > > little different. More like a wharewolf or something. LOL
            > >
            > > I found a lake about 3 miles from where I was camping, but it is on the
            > > other side of a 3000 foot mountain. I am not certain it would carry
            > that
            > > far and sound so close.
            > >
            > > --
            > > Scott A. Macri
            > > Trail Name: Mowgli
            > > www.HikeHaven.com
            > > http://360.yahoo.com/hacktorious
            > >
            > > On 7/31/06, Keith <pulse_0ptional@...> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Funny how things always sound bigger than they are, isn't it? lol A
            > > > chipmunk at 100 yds. can sound like a bear....but a lot of that is
            > > > your imagination, too. I honestly feel much safer in my hammock than
            > > > in a t$*p - I really don't think an animal would actually try to
            > get IN.
            > > >
            > > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com<hammockcamping%40yahoogroups.com>
            > <hammockcamping%40yahoogroups.com>,

            > sound....and it
            > really

            > > > .

          • Keith
            Message 5 of 19 , Aug 1, 2006
              I don't think you want me to go....my wife gets pretty irritated when
              I chuckle at her 'bump in the night' phobias....:P

              wrote:

              > OK, now I am starting to get scared. I have been listening to sound
              files
              > all day and was beginning to think it was Wolves, or Coyotes. It
              sounded
              > more like Wolves, but it was making some weird unidentifiably
              noises; maybe
              > it was both. That is until I heard these clips:
              > http://www.bfro.net/avevid/dennis/kiaftstps1.mp3
              > http://www.bfro.net/avevid/SierraSounds/Whoop.mp3
              >
              > YIKES....... Play them both at the same time and take out the knocking;
              > that my friends is what I heard. One of the sounds was kind of a
              scream,
              > which could likely be passed off as a Coyote, or Wolf. The knocking
              in that
              > mp3 makes me think it is a fake. There was more howling than
              whooping, but
              > there was definitely whooping like that. Everytime I play these
              clips I get
              > chills up my spine.
              >
              > I have to go back to that place to see what I can hear again. I
              will bring
              > a recorder. Do I have any volunteers willing to tag along. Not
              sure I am
              > up to going out there alone again. LOL
              >
              > --
              > Scott A. Macri
              > Trail Name: Mowgli
              > www.HikeHaven.com
              > http://360.yahoo.com/hacktorious
              >
              > On 8/1/06, Scott <scotth61@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > Here is a link to some pretty eery sounds...
              > > http://www.bfro.net/REF/bfmedia.asp
              > >
              > > Maybe it *was* a Bigfoot! ;-)
              > >
              > > The "other" Scott (in Idaho)
              > >
              > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com
              <hammockcamping%40yahoogroups.com>,
              > > "Scott Macri" <hacktorious@>
              > > wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Check this out: *http://tinyurl.com/gzvqz*
              <http://tinyurl.com/gzvqz>
              > > > Click the play sound link on the right side of the page. That is a
              > > spooky
              > > > sound.
              > > >
              > > > That is the closest thing I can find to the howling I heard, but it
              > > was a
              > > > little different. More like a wharewolf or something. LOL
              > > >
              > > > I found a lake about 3 miles from where I was camping, but it is
              on the
              > > > other side of a 3000 foot mountain. I am not certain it would carry
              > > that
              > > > far and sound so close.
              > > >
              > > > --
              > > > Scott A. Macri
              > > > Trail Name: Mowgli
              > > > www.HikeHaven.com
              > > > http://360.yahoo.com/hacktorious

              lol A
              > > get IN.

              hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com<hammockcamping%40yahoogroups.com>
              > > <hammockcamping%40yahoogroups.com>,

              > > sound....and it
              > > really

            • Scott Macri
              Message 6 of 19 , Aug 1, 2006
                I'll probably go alone again. I need to borrow a night camera setup. If it
                was Wolves or something I would love to get some photos.

                Message 7 of 19 , Aug 1, 2006
                  Hey, that's a great idea! Here's what you should do:

                  Borrow a video camera with night vision. Most of 'em have it, even
                  the cheaper ones. When you get to camp, set the camera up so it's
                  pointing at your hammock. Get in your hammock and hang a nice, fresh
                  pork chop from your ridgeline. Sit and wait.

                  The rest of us can start a pool on how far you get dragged in your 'to
                  go bag' before the wolves figure out how to get you out....any takers? :P

                  On the upside, if you survive, you'll be able to sell the video!! I
                  know I'd buy it! LOL

                  Message 8 of 19 , Aug 1, 2006
                    Mmmm, pork chops. Time for lunch. LOL

                    I'll tell my wife to increase my life insurance policy. LOL