Double Loop System

  • Scott Macri
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 31, 2006
      Well I messed with my HH for quite a while today. I tried a variety of
      techniques for tying to the tree. I found that a big part of the hammock
      sag was due to the straps slipping down the tree. The solution to this
      issue was to take your poly strap with a loop tied in each end, wrap it
      around a tree as many times as you can, but be sure to leave a little
      extra. Then take the extra webbing and tie an overhand knot in it. Feed
      the overhand knot under the portion of the webbing already wrapped around
      the tree and pull tight. Then finish up with the HH method, or whatever you
      like.

      This method does a few things. First off it prevents the strap you wrapped
      around the tree from falling while your reaching to get the suspension line
      on the hammock. Second it forces the loops in the end of the webbing to
      stay in place so they cannot slip when you get in the hammock.

      I tried to take a photo, but my phone memory was full. I will try again
      tomorrow.

      I also noticed, the less tree hugger length you have stretched out the
      better. It seems the tighter to the tree your loops can be the better.

      One issue I am now having is the poly loops are starting to show serious
      signs of ware as a result of pulling the HH suspension line through them so
      many times. The friction from pulling is causing the issue, not from
      hanging. I tried to put duck tape over the loops, but that didn't work so
      well. My next thought is to tie the two ends of the poly to a single ring
      after wrapping it around a tree, or use a biner through the loops so this is
      not an issue anymore.

      --
      Scott A. Macri
      Trail Name: Mowgli

    • Keith
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 31, 2006
        That's why I started using 'biners in the first place. The HH
        suspension cords are very coarse; I just assumed they'd wear out the
        straps pretty quickly. The 'biners also make tying the Hennessy
        lashing a lot quicker and neater.

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Scott Macri" <hacktorious@...>

      • list@moz.geek.nz
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 31, 2006
          Scott said:
          > take your poly strap with a loop tied in each end, wrap it
          > around a tree as many times as you can

          How long are your straps? Or how small are the trees, I suppose. I
          usually find that I can't wrap the Hennessey straps once around the
          tree, let alone more than once. This with small trees... I carry
          10m of cord so I can go round the bigger trees if I need to (but
          I prefer to go up until the tree is small enough to fit the straps :)

          > The friction from pulling is causing the issue, not from hanging.

          Try pulling the rope tight back toward the tree, then out and round
          towards you. That means you're not pulling the rope through the tape
          under tension, and I find I can get just as tight that way. Of course,
          if the tree is so small that it's moving when you get into the hammock,
          perhaps you need to pre-tension the tree? Or run a rope from the
          suspension tree to ground level on a tree behind it to help hold it up?

          Moz
        • Scott Macri
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 31, 2006
            The trees have 15 + " diameters.
            --

            On 7/31/06, list@... <list@...> wrote:

            > Scott said:
            > > take your poly strap with a loop tied in each end, wrap it
            > > around a tree as many times as you can
            >
            > How long are your straps? Or how small are the trees, I suppose. I
            > usually find that I can't wrap the Hennessey straps once around the
            > tree, let alone more than once. This with small trees... I carry
            > 10m of cord so I can go round the bigger trees if I need to (but
            > I prefer to go up until the tree is small enough to fit the straps :)
            >

            > > The friction from pulling is causing the issue, not from hanging.
            >
            > Try pulling the rope tight back toward the tree, then out and round
            > towards you. That means you're not pulling the rope through the tape
            > under tension, and I find I can get just as tight that way. Of course,
            > if the tree is so small that it's moving when you get into the hammock,
            > perhaps you need to pre-tension the tree? Or run a rope from the
            > suspension tree to ground level on a tree behind it to help hold it up?
            >
            > Moz

            us