Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: HH fly undercover link

    Message 1 of 19 , Jul 31, 2006
      i have a big agness insulated aircore & it starts feeling chilly to me in the low 50s. but i now have an exped down air mat (DAM) & it would probably keep you warm on bottom at around 30F with a good bag or quilt. ...tim

      lakewood_matt <lakewood_matt@...> wrote: Seems like lots of ideas floating around here. I just have a simple question about warmth.
      I live in Colorado where it frequently gets down to 30F at night. I tried my Big Agnes with
      CCF in the hammock and it DID suck, especially after sleeping without it. Does anyone
      have a simple idea for a warm sleeper that would work with my 30F down bag that would
      keep my warm to about 30F. I really don't want to invest the time and money into anything
      undercover-ish but would rather just have something inside. Does anyone know of a good
      down underquilt that would accomadate my need for simplicity? Lots of great ideas in here
      but i need and quick fix and don't have much time for experimentation. THANKS! Any
      ideas are welcome.

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Keith"
      wrote:

      > Jeff- I just bought a CCF pad from Walmart to make a freezer bag cozy
      > out of. I think I've got enough left to make a two-section pad to go
      > under my hammock. Think that'd work with the fly/undercover idea?
      >
      > Also, I've been using a cheap fleece sleeping bag on the last couple
      > of trips I've taken. I was thinking, I could use the bag, or maybe
      > even just half of it, to add some comfort to an underpad? Maybe some
      > extra insulation, too? Thoughts?
      >

      > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff" wrote:
      > >
      > > I don't think I ever posted that I restored the link to the .pdf with
      > > instructions for turning the HH fly into an undercover. Here it is
      > > if'n yer innerstid.
      > >
      > > http://www.tothewoods.net/ImagesStayWarm/HH_UnderflyProject.pdf
      > >
      > > Jeff

    • Scott Macri
      Message 2 of 19 , Jul 31, 2006
        Has anybody tried sewing a large pocket to the bottom of their hammock to
        hold a ccf pad, or something?

        Seems to me it might work rather well and would likely be easier to setup
        than a super shelter. It might not be as effective as a peapod though.

        --
        Scott A. Macri
        Trail Name: Mowgli

        On 7/31/06, Keith <pulse_0ptional@...> wrote:

        > Jeff- I just bought a CCF pad from Walmart to make a freezer bag cozy
        > out of. I think I've got enough left to make a two-section pad to go
        > under my hammock. Think that'd work with the fly/undercover idea?
        >
        > Also, I've been using a cheap fleece sleeping bag on the last couple
        > of trips I've taken. I was thinking, I could use the bag, or maybe
        > even just half of it, to add some comfort to an underpad? Maybe some
        > extra insulation, too? Thoughts?

      • Dick Matthews
        Message 3 of 19 , Aug 1, 2006
          A Jacks'R'Better 3 season set works for me down to 30. I sleep in
          expedition weight long underwear. Fleece retains loft inside the
          hammock much better than down, but does not block the wind. Drop
          Stopper rain gear can be added as a VB clothes.

          Dick Matthews
          Wheat Ridge, CO

          lakewood_matt wrote:

          >Seems like lots of ideas floating around here. I just have a simple question about warmth.
          >I live in Colorado where it frequently gets down to 30F at night. I tried my Big Agnes with
          >CCF in the hammock and it DID suck, especially after sleeping without it. Does anyone
          >have a simple idea for a warm sleeper that would work with my 30F down bag that would
          >keep my warm to about 30F. I really don't want to invest the time and money into anything
          >undercover-ish but would rather just have something inside. Does anyone know of a good
          >down underquilt that would accomadate my need for simplicity? Lots of great ideas in here
          >but i need and quick fix and don't have much time for experimentation. THANKS! Any
          >ideas are welcome.

        • Scott Macri
          Message 4 of 19 , Aug 1, 2006
            Has anyone ever tried using a supershelter and a JacksRBetter underquilt on
            the hammock at the same time? I'll have to see if this works. I am going
            to play around with some more stuff today.

            --

            On 8/1/06, Dick Matthews <dick@...> wrote:

            > A Jacks'R'Better 3 season set works for me down to 30. I sleep in
            > expedition weight long underwear. Fleece retains loft inside the
            > hammock much better than down, but does not block the wind. Drop
            > Stopper rain gear can be added as a VB clothes.
            >
            > Dick Matthews
            > Wheat Ridge, CO

          • Jeff
            Message 5 of 19 , Aug 2, 2006
              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Keith" <pulse_0ptional@...>
              wrote:

              > Oh ok...cool. Well, it'll definitely be nice once I get a KAQ.
              But
              > 'till then, any cheap ideas?

              CCF and a SPE. Or Risk's Overlap Pad or Rock's Wing Pad. But of
              those, I'd pick the SPE.

              > That reminds me. As far as overquilts go, is there anything pre-
              made
              > out there that's synthetic?

              Somebody does, but I'm going blank on who it is at the moment. One
              of the cottage makers. GoLite used to but I think they discontinued
              it a few years ago.

              > I like the Ray-way
              > quilt, but I'm not really confident enough with my DIY skills to
              try
              > something that complicated...

              If you can make a stuff sack, you can make a quilt. Seriously. It
              was one of my first projects.

              Jeff
            • Jeff
              Message 6 of 19 , Aug 2, 2006
                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Scott Macri"
                <hacktorious@...> wrote:

                > Has anybody tried sewing a large pocket to the bottom of their
                hammock to
                > hold a ccf pad, or something?

                CD Pritchard used to post here - maybe he's still lurking. He made
                a pad pocket. And the Crazy Creek I'm testing now has a pad pocket.

                I don't know how satisfied CD is with his version, but I don't think
                the Crazy Creek pad pocket works as well as a two-layer hammock b/c
                it restricts where I can put the pad. Since it's inline with the
                hammock, I can't get diagonal, and since it's the same width all the
                way down it bunches up the pad at the ends.

                As far as pads go, I thought a two-layer hammock works pretty well.
                I'd still rather use a SPE instead of the two-layer hammock, though -
                and it's probably lighter than a full panel of hammock material.

                JMO.

                Jeff
              • Keith
                Message 7 of 19 , Aug 2, 2006
                  I'm missing the acronym again....SPE?

                  > CCF and a SPE. Or Risk's Overlap Pad or Rock's Wing Pad. But of
                  > those, I'd pick the SPE.

                  > If you can make a stuff sack, you can make a quilt. Seriously. It
                  > was one of my first projects.

                  Well...I may have revised my opinion on my DIY skills as of last
                  night....I was up all night making a Gearskin-style pack for the guy
                  who lent me his sewing machine (pretty cheap, if you ask me!), and
                  it's turned out great! Even all the hand-stitching I had to do,
                  through two layers of pack cloth, a thick MI strap, and 1/4" of CCF!

                  So, maybe I AM ready to try a quilt....
                • Jeff
                  Message 8 of 19 , Aug 2, 2006
                    wrote:

                    > I'm missing the acronym again....SPE?

                    Ed's and Youngblood's Segmented Pad Extender
                    http://www.speerhammocks.com/Products/SPE.htm

                    Jeff