Re: HH fly undercover link

  • lakewood_matt
    Message 1 of 19 , Jul 31, 2006
      Seems like lots of ideas floating around here. I just have a simple question about warmth.
      I live in Colorado where it frequently gets down to 30F at night. I tried my Big Agnes with
      CCF in the hammock and it DID suck, especially after sleeping without it. Does anyone
      have a simple idea for a warm sleeper that would work with my 30F down bag that would
      keep my warm to about 30F. I really don't want to invest the time and money into anything
      undercover-ish but would rather just have something inside. Does anyone know of a good
      down underquilt that would accomadate my need for simplicity? Lots of great ideas in here
      but i need and quick fix and don't have much time for experimentation. THANKS! Any
      ideas are welcome.

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Keith" <pulse_0ptional@...> wrote:

      > Jeff- I just bought a CCF pad from Walmart to make a freezer bag cozy
      > out of. I think I've got enough left to make a two-section pad to go
      > under my hammock. Think that'd work with the fly/undercover idea?
      >
      > Also, I've been using a cheap fleece sleeping bag on the last couple
      > of trips I've taken. I was thinking, I could use the bag, or maybe
      > even just half of it, to add some comfort to an underpad? Maybe some
      > extra insulation, too? Thoughts?
      >

      > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff" <jwj32542@> wrote:
      > >
      > > I don't think I ever posted that I restored the link to the .pdf with
      > > instructions for turning the HH fly into an undercover. Here it is
      > > if'n yer innerstid.
      > >
      > > http://www.tothewoods.net/ImagesStayWarm/HH_UnderflyProject.pdf
      > >
      > > Jeff

    • Keith
      Message 2 of 19 , Jul 31, 2006
        Oh ok...cool. Well, it'll definitely be nice once I get a KAQ. But
        'till then, any cheap ideas? I guess I need something decent down to
        about 50 F. I do have a couple of sleeping bags I can use as
        overquilts too.

        That reminds me. As far as overquilts go, is there anything pre-made
        out there that's synthetic? I'm allergic to down. I like the Ray-way
        quilt, but I'm not really confident enough with my DIY skills to try
        something that complicated...

        Message 3 of 19 , Jul 31, 2006
          i have a big agness insulated aircore & it starts feeling chilly to me in the low 50s. but i now have an exped down air mat (DAM) & it would probably keep you warm on bottom at around 30F with a good bag or quilt. ...tim

          lakewood_matt <lakewood_matt@...> wrote: Seems like lots of ideas floating around here. I just have a simple question about warmth.

          wrote:

          > Jeff- I just bought a CCF pad from Walmart to make a freezer bag cozy
          > out of. I think I've got enough left to make a two-section pad to go
          > under my hammock. Think that'd work with the fly/undercover idea?
          >
          > Also, I've been using a cheap fleece sleeping bag on the last couple
          > of trips I've taken. I was thinking, I could use the bag, or maybe
          > even just half of it, to add some comfort to an underpad? Maybe some
          > extra insulation, too? Thoughts?
          >

          > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff" wrote:
          > >
          > > I don't think I ever posted that I restored the link to the .pdf with
          > > instructions for turning the HH fly into an undercover. Here it is
          > > if'n yer innerstid.
          > >
          > > http://www.tothewoods.net/ImagesStayWarm/HH_UnderflyProject.pdf
          > >
          > > Jeff

        • Scott Macri
          Message 4 of 19 , Jul 31, 2006
            Has anybody tried sewing a large pocket to the bottom of their hammock to
            hold a ccf pad, or something?

            Seems to me it might work rather well and would likely be easier to setup
            than a super shelter. It might not be as effective as a peapod though.

            --
            Scott A. Macri
            Trail Name: Mowgli

            On 7/31/06, Keith <pulse_0ptional@...> wrote:

            > Jeff- I just bought a CCF pad from Walmart to make a freezer bag cozy
            > out of. I think I've got enough left to make a two-section pad to go
            > under my hammock. Think that'd work with the fly/undercover idea?
            >
            > Also, I've been using a cheap fleece sleeping bag on the last couple
            > of trips I've taken. I was thinking, I could use the bag, or maybe
            > even just half of it, to add some comfort to an underpad? Maybe some
            > extra insulation, too? Thoughts?

          • Dick Matthews
            Message 5 of 19 , Aug 1 7:18 AM
              A Jacks'R'Better 3 season set works for me down to 30. I sleep in
              expedition weight long underwear. Fleece retains loft inside the
              hammock much better than down, but does not block the wind. Drop
              Stopper rain gear can be added as a VB clothes.

              Dick Matthews
              Wheat Ridge, CO

              lakewood_matt wrote:

              >Seems like lots of ideas floating around here. I just have a simple question about warmth.
              >I live in Colorado where it frequently gets down to 30F at night. I tried my Big Agnes with
              >CCF in the hammock and it DID suck, especially after sleeping without it. Does anyone
              >have a simple idea for a warm sleeper that would work with my 30F down bag that would
              >keep my warm to about 30F. I really don't want to invest the time and money into anything
              >undercover-ish but would rather just have something inside. Does anyone know of a good
              >down underquilt that would accomadate my need for simplicity? Lots of great ideas in here
              >but i need and quick fix and don't have much time for experimentation. THANKS! Any
              >ideas are welcome.

            • Scott Macri
              Message 6 of 19 , Aug 1 7:48 AM
                Has anyone ever tried using a supershelter and a JacksRBetter underquilt on
                the hammock at the same time? I'll have to see if this works. I am going
                to play around with some more stuff today.

                --

                On 8/1/06, Dick Matthews <dick@...> wrote:

                > A Jacks'R'Better 3 season set works for me down to 30. I sleep in
                > expedition weight long underwear. Fleece retains loft inside the
                > hammock much better than down, but does not block the wind. Drop
                > Stopper rain gear can be added as a VB clothes.
                >
                > Dick Matthews
                > Wheat Ridge, CO

              • Jeff
                Message 7 of 19 , Aug 2 7:51 AM
                  wrote:

                  > Oh ok...cool. Well, it'll definitely be nice once I get a KAQ.
                  But
                  > 'till then, any cheap ideas?

                  CCF and a SPE. Or Risk's Overlap Pad or Rock's Wing Pad. But of
                  those, I'd pick the SPE.

                  > That reminds me. As far as overquilts go, is there anything pre-
                  made
                  > out there that's synthetic?

                  Somebody does, but I'm going blank on who it is at the moment. One
                  of the cottage makers. GoLite used to but I think they discontinued
                  it a few years ago.

                  > I like the Ray-way
                  > quilt, but I'm not really confident enough with my DIY skills to
                  try
                  > something that complicated...

                  If you can make a stuff sack, you can make a quilt. Seriously. It
                  was one of my first projects.

                  Jeff
                • Jeff
                  Message 8 of 19 , Aug 2 7:54 AM
                    --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Scott Macri"
                    <hacktorious@...> wrote:

                    > Has anybody tried sewing a large pocket to the bottom of their
                    hammock to
                    > hold a ccf pad, or something?

                    CD Pritchard used to post here - maybe he's still lurking. He made
                    a pad pocket. And the Crazy Creek I'm testing now has a pad pocket.

                    I don't know how satisfied CD is with his version, but I don't think
                    the Crazy Creek pad pocket works as well as a two-layer hammock b/c
                    it restricts where I can put the pad. Since it's inline with the
                    hammock, I can't get diagonal, and since it's the same width all the
                    way down it bunches up the pad at the ends.

                    As far as pads go, I thought a two-layer hammock works pretty well.
                    I'd still rather use a SPE instead of the two-layer hammock, though -
                    and it's probably lighter than a full panel of hammock material.

                    JMO.

                    Jeff
                  • Keith
                    Message 9 of 19 , Aug 2 9:59 AM
                      I'm missing the acronym again....SPE?

                      > CCF and a SPE. Or Risk's Overlap Pad or Rock's Wing Pad. But of
                      > those, I'd pick the SPE.

                      > If you can make a stuff sack, you can make a quilt. Seriously. It
                      > was one of my first projects.

                      Well...I may have revised my opinion on my DIY skills as of last
                      night....I was up all night making a Gearskin-style pack for the guy
                      who lent me his sewing machine (pretty cheap, if you ask me!), and
                      it's turned out great! Even all the hand-stitching I had to do,
                      through two layers of pack cloth, a thick MI strap, and 1/4" of CCF!

                      So, maybe I AM ready to try a quilt....
                    • Jeff
                      Message 10 of 19 , Aug 2 11:04 AM
                        wrote:

                        > I'm missing the acronym again....SPE?

                        Ed's and Youngblood's Segmented Pad Extender
                        http://www.speerhammocks.com/Products/SPE.htm

                        Jeff