Re: HH fly undercover link

  • Jeff
    Message 1 of 19 , Jul 31, 2006
      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Keith" <pulse_0ptional@...>
      wrote:

      > How are they during fairly warm weather?

      I just hang mine looser so there's a gap between the underquilt and
      hammock. That gap cools down...increase the gap to cool off even
      more. Jack calls this "Opening the Windows" on the JRB website.

      That's the biggest downfall I see for insulated hammocks...you can't
      adjust the insulation like with underquilts. But if you know the
      insulated hammock is suited for conditions, you can't get any lighter
      with anything I've seen posted so far.

      Jeff
    • lakewood_matt
      Message 2 of 19 , Jul 31, 2006
        Seems like lots of ideas floating around here. I just have a simple question about warmth.
        I live in Colorado where it frequently gets down to 30F at night. I tried my Big Agnes with
        CCF in the hammock and it DID suck, especially after sleeping without it. Does anyone
        have a simple idea for a warm sleeper that would work with my 30F down bag that would
        keep my warm to about 30F. I really don't want to invest the time and money into anything
        undercover-ish but would rather just have something inside. Does anyone know of a good
        down underquilt that would accomadate my need for simplicity? Lots of great ideas in here
        but i need and quick fix and don't have much time for experimentation. THANKS! Any
        ideas are welcome.

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Keith" <pulse_0ptional@...> wrote:

        > Jeff- I just bought a CCF pad from Walmart to make a freezer bag cozy
        > out of. I think I've got enough left to make a two-section pad to go
        > under my hammock. Think that'd work with the fly/undercover idea?
        >
        > Also, I've been using a cheap fleece sleeping bag on the last couple
        > of trips I've taken. I was thinking, I could use the bag, or maybe
        > even just half of it, to add some comfort to an underpad? Maybe some
        > extra insulation, too? Thoughts?
        >

        > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff" <jwj32542@> wrote:
        > >
        > > I don't think I ever posted that I restored the link to the .pdf with
        > > instructions for turning the HH fly into an undercover. Here it is
        > > if'n yer innerstid.
        > >
        > > http://www.tothewoods.net/ImagesStayWarm/HH_UnderflyProject.pdf
        > >
        > > Jeff

      • Keith
        Message 3 of 19 , Jul 31, 2006
          Oh ok...cool. Well, it'll definitely be nice once I get a KAQ. But
          'till then, any cheap ideas? I guess I need something decent down to
          about 50 F. I do have a couple of sleeping bags I can use as
          overquilts too.

          That reminds me. As far as overquilts go, is there anything pre-made
          out there that's synthetic? I'm allergic to down. I like the Ray-way
          quilt, but I'm not really confident enough with my DIY skills to try
          something that complicated...

          Message 4 of 19 , Jul 31, 2006
            i have a big agness insulated aircore & it starts feeling chilly to me in the low 50s. but i now have an exped down air mat (DAM) & it would probably keep you warm on bottom at around 30F with a good bag or quilt. ...tim

            lakewood_matt <lakewood_matt@...> wrote: Seems like lots of ideas floating around here. I just have a simple question about warmth.

            wrote:

            > Jeff- I just bought a CCF pad from Walmart to make a freezer bag cozy
            > out of. I think I've got enough left to make a two-section pad to go
            > under my hammock. Think that'd work with the fly/undercover idea?
            >
            > Also, I've been using a cheap fleece sleeping bag on the last couple
            > of trips I've taken. I was thinking, I could use the bag, or maybe
            > even just half of it, to add some comfort to an underpad? Maybe some
            > extra insulation, too? Thoughts?
            >

            > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff" wrote:
            > >
            > > I don't think I ever posted that I restored the link to the .pdf with
            > > instructions for turning the HH fly into an undercover. Here it is
            > > if'n yer innerstid.
            > >
            > > http://www.tothewoods.net/ImagesStayWarm/HH_UnderflyProject.pdf
            > >
            > > Jeff

          • Scott Macri
            Message 5 of 19 , Jul 31, 2006
              Has anybody tried sewing a large pocket to the bottom of their hammock to
              hold a ccf pad, or something?

              Seems to me it might work rather well and would likely be easier to setup
              than a super shelter. It might not be as effective as a peapod though.

              --
              Scott A. Macri
              Trail Name: Mowgli

              On 7/31/06, Keith <pulse_0ptional@...> wrote:

              > Jeff- I just bought a CCF pad from Walmart to make a freezer bag cozy
              > out of. I think I've got enough left to make a two-section pad to go
              > under my hammock. Think that'd work with the fly/undercover idea?
              >
              > Also, I've been using a cheap fleece sleeping bag on the last couple
              > of trips I've taken. I was thinking, I could use the bag, or maybe
              > even just half of it, to add some comfort to an underpad? Maybe some
              > extra insulation, too? Thoughts?

            • Dick Matthews
              Message 6 of 19 , Aug 1 7:18 AM
                A Jacks'R'Better 3 season set works for me down to 30. I sleep in
                expedition weight long underwear. Fleece retains loft inside the
                hammock much better than down, but does not block the wind. Drop
                Stopper rain gear can be added as a VB clothes.

                Dick Matthews
                Wheat Ridge, CO

                lakewood_matt wrote:

                >Seems like lots of ideas floating around here. I just have a simple question about warmth.
                >I live in Colorado where it frequently gets down to 30F at night. I tried my Big Agnes with
                >CCF in the hammock and it DID suck, especially after sleeping without it. Does anyone
                >have a simple idea for a warm sleeper that would work with my 30F down bag that would
                >keep my warm to about 30F. I really don't want to invest the time and money into anything
                >undercover-ish but would rather just have something inside. Does anyone know of a good
                >down underquilt that would accomadate my need for simplicity? Lots of great ideas in here
                >but i need and quick fix and don't have much time for experimentation. THANKS! Any
                >ideas are welcome.

              • Scott Macri
                Message 7 of 19 , Aug 1 7:48 AM
                  Has anyone ever tried using a supershelter and a JacksRBetter underquilt on
                  the hammock at the same time? I'll have to see if this works. I am going
                  to play around with some more stuff today.

                  --

                  On 8/1/06, Dick Matthews <dick@...> wrote:

                  > A Jacks'R'Better 3 season set works for me down to 30. I sleep in
                  > expedition weight long underwear. Fleece retains loft inside the
                  > hammock much better than down, but does not block the wind. Drop
                  > Stopper rain gear can be added as a VB clothes.
                  >
                  > Dick Matthews
                  > Wheat Ridge, CO

                • Jeff
                  Message 8 of 19 , Aug 2 7:51 AM
                    wrote:

                    > Oh ok...cool. Well, it'll definitely be nice once I get a KAQ.
                    But
                    > 'till then, any cheap ideas?

                    CCF and a SPE. Or Risk's Overlap Pad or Rock's Wing Pad. But of
                    those, I'd pick the SPE.

                    > That reminds me. As far as overquilts go, is there anything pre-
                    made
                    > out there that's synthetic?

                    Somebody does, but I'm going blank on who it is at the moment. One
                    of the cottage makers. GoLite used to but I think they discontinued
                    it a few years ago.

                    > I like the Ray-way
                    > quilt, but I'm not really confident enough with my DIY skills to
                    try
                    > something that complicated...

                    If you can make a stuff sack, you can make a quilt. Seriously. It
                    was one of my first projects.

                    Jeff
                  • Jeff
                    Message 9 of 19 , Aug 2 7:54 AM
                      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Scott Macri"
                      <hacktorious@...> wrote:

                      > Has anybody tried sewing a large pocket to the bottom of their
                      hammock to
                      > hold a ccf pad, or something?

                      CD Pritchard used to post here - maybe he's still lurking. He made
                      a pad pocket. And the Crazy Creek I'm testing now has a pad pocket.

                      I don't know how satisfied CD is with his version, but I don't think
                      the Crazy Creek pad pocket works as well as a two-layer hammock b/c
                      it restricts where I can put the pad. Since it's inline with the
                      hammock, I can't get diagonal, and since it's the same width all the
                      way down it bunches up the pad at the ends.

                      As far as pads go, I thought a two-layer hammock works pretty well.
                      I'd still rather use a SPE instead of the two-layer hammock, though -
                      and it's probably lighter than a full panel of hammock material.

                      JMO.

                      Jeff
                    • Keith
                      Message 10 of 19 , Aug 2 9:59 AM
                        I'm missing the acronym again....SPE?

                        > CCF and a SPE. Or Risk's Overlap Pad or Rock's Wing Pad. But of
                        > those, I'd pick the SPE.

                        > If you can make a stuff sack, you can make a quilt. Seriously. It
                        > was one of my first projects.

                        Well...I may have revised my opinion on my DIY skills as of last
                        night....I was up all night making a Gearskin-style pack for the guy
                        who lent me his sewing machine (pretty cheap, if you ask me!), and
                        it's turned out great! Even all the hand-stitching I had to do,
                        through two layers of pack cloth, a thick MI strap, and 1/4" of CCF!

                        So, maybe I AM ready to try a quilt....
                      • Jeff
                        Message 11 of 19 , Aug 2 11:04 AM
                          wrote:

                          > I'm missing the acronym again....SPE?

                          Ed's and Youngblood's Segmented Pad Extender
                          http://www.speerhammocks.com/Products/SPE.htm

                          Jeff