Re: HH fly undercover link

  • Keith
    Message 1 of 19 , Jul 31 2:52 PM
      I tried the pad in the hammock thing. It sucked. And I was using my
      Z-rest which is a LOT more comfy than the cheap CCF pad I got from
      walmart. Scratch that idea :P

      Sounds like you guys have used your underquilts in a lot of different
      conditions. How are they during fairly warm weather? I'd be afraid
      I'd get too hot. Although, even though I posted a thread on WB about
      cooling off in my hammock, the last few times I've used mine, my back
      (against the hammock body) has stayed really cool...much cooler than
      my top.

      > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Keith" <pulse_0ptional@>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > Well in that case, what would you recommend? Short of an
      > underquilt -
      > > I've got a KAQ in the works for the winter. I'm just trying to think
      > > of something cheap that would work in the somewhat cooler weather
      > > between now and then. And...what's DWR? I can usually figure out
      > the
      > > acronyms, but this one's escaping me...
      >
      > Either get an underquilt or put the pad inside the hammock with you.
      >
      > DWR is Durable Water Repellent. It's a treatment for ripstop nylon -
      > breathable, with varying degrees of water repellency. Some form of
      > DWR is used for most quality sleeping bags, quilts, etc.
      >
      > > Also, on the subject of underquilts. I don't have mine yet, so I
      > > don't know how easy it is to install and adjust, but it looks like it
      > > might be kind of a pain. I was thinking about just stuffing the
      > > hammock, with quilt attached, like a sleeping bag. It wouldn't
      > really
      > > be any harder to get out and hang that way. How do you work yours?
      >
      > Very easy to connect, and once it's connected you only have to make
      > minor adjustments with each setup. I use snakeskins and leave mine
      > attached, but just stuffing the whole thing in a stuff sack should
      > work fine.
      >
      > Jeff

    • Jeff
      Message 2 of 19 , Jul 31 3:16 PM
        wrote:

        > How are they during fairly warm weather?

        I just hang mine looser so there's a gap between the underquilt and
        hammock. That gap cools down...increase the gap to cool off even
        more. Jack calls this "Opening the Windows" on the JRB website.

        That's the biggest downfall I see for insulated hammocks...you can't
        adjust the insulation like with underquilts. But if you know the
        insulated hammock is suited for conditions, you can't get any lighter
        with anything I've seen posted so far.

        Jeff
      • lakewood_matt
        Message 3 of 19 , Jul 31 4:30 PM
          Seems like lots of ideas floating around here. I just have a simple question about warmth.
          I live in Colorado where it frequently gets down to 30F at night. I tried my Big Agnes with
          CCF in the hammock and it DID suck, especially after sleeping without it. Does anyone
          have a simple idea for a warm sleeper that would work with my 30F down bag that would
          keep my warm to about 30F. I really don't want to invest the time and money into anything
          undercover-ish but would rather just have something inside. Does anyone know of a good
          down underquilt that would accomadate my need for simplicity? Lots of great ideas in here
          but i need and quick fix and don't have much time for experimentation. THANKS! Any
          ideas are welcome.

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Keith" <pulse_0ptional@...> wrote:

          > Jeff- I just bought a CCF pad from Walmart to make a freezer bag cozy
          > out of. I think I've got enough left to make a two-section pad to go
          > under my hammock. Think that'd work with the fly/undercover idea?
          >
          > Also, I've been using a cheap fleece sleeping bag on the last couple
          > of trips I've taken. I was thinking, I could use the bag, or maybe
          > even just half of it, to add some comfort to an underpad? Maybe some
          > extra insulation, too? Thoughts?
          >

          > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff" <jwj32542@> wrote:
          > >
          > > I don't think I ever posted that I restored the link to the .pdf with
          > > instructions for turning the HH fly into an undercover. Here it is
          > > if'n yer innerstid.
          > >
          > > http://www.tothewoods.net/ImagesStayWarm/HH_UnderflyProject.pdf
          > >
          > > Jeff

        • Keith
          Message 4 of 19 , Jul 31 4:45 PM
            Oh ok...cool. Well, it'll definitely be nice once I get a KAQ. But
            'till then, any cheap ideas? I guess I need something decent down to
            about 50 F. I do have a couple of sleeping bags I can use as
            overquilts too.

            That reminds me. As far as overquilts go, is there anything pre-made
            out there that's synthetic? I'm allergic to down. I like the Ray-way
            quilt, but I'm not really confident enough with my DIY skills to try
            something that complicated...

            Message 5 of 19 , Jul 31 5:11 PM
              i have a big agness insulated aircore & it starts feeling chilly to me in the low 50s. but i now have an exped down air mat (DAM) & it would probably keep you warm on bottom at around 30F with a good bag or quilt. ...tim

              lakewood_matt <lakewood_matt@...> wrote: Seems like lots of ideas floating around here. I just have a simple question about warmth.

              wrote:

              > Jeff- I just bought a CCF pad from Walmart to make a freezer bag cozy
              > out of. I think I've got enough left to make a two-section pad to go
              > under my hammock. Think that'd work with the fly/undercover idea?
              >
              > Also, I've been using a cheap fleece sleeping bag on the last couple
              > of trips I've taken. I was thinking, I could use the bag, or maybe
              > even just half of it, to add some comfort to an underpad? Maybe some
              > extra insulation, too? Thoughts?
              >

              > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff" wrote:
              > >
              > > I don't think I ever posted that I restored the link to the .pdf with
              > > instructions for turning the HH fly into an undercover. Here it is
              > > if'n yer innerstid.
              > >
              > > http://www.tothewoods.net/ImagesStayWarm/HH_UnderflyProject.pdf
              > >
              > > Jeff

            • Scott Macri
              Message 6 of 19 , Jul 31 6:28 PM
                Has anybody tried sewing a large pocket to the bottom of their hammock to
                hold a ccf pad, or something?

                Seems to me it might work rather well and would likely be easier to setup
                than a super shelter. It might not be as effective as a peapod though.

                --
                Scott A. Macri
                Trail Name: Mowgli

                On 7/31/06, Keith <pulse_0ptional@...> wrote:

                > Jeff- I just bought a CCF pad from Walmart to make a freezer bag cozy
                > out of. I think I've got enough left to make a two-section pad to go
                > under my hammock. Think that'd work with the fly/undercover idea?
                >
                > Also, I've been using a cheap fleece sleeping bag on the last couple
                > of trips I've taken. I was thinking, I could use the bag, or maybe
                > even just half of it, to add some comfort to an underpad? Maybe some
                > extra insulation, too? Thoughts?

              • Dick Matthews
                Message 7 of 19 , Aug 1, 2006
                  A Jacks'R'Better 3 season set works for me down to 30. I sleep in
                  expedition weight long underwear. Fleece retains loft inside the
                  hammock much better than down, but does not block the wind. Drop
                  Stopper rain gear can be added as a VB clothes.

                  Dick Matthews
                  Wheat Ridge, CO

                  lakewood_matt wrote:

                  >Seems like lots of ideas floating around here. I just have a simple question about warmth.
                  >I live in Colorado where it frequently gets down to 30F at night. I tried my Big Agnes with
                  >CCF in the hammock and it DID suck, especially after sleeping without it. Does anyone
                  >have a simple idea for a warm sleeper that would work with my 30F down bag that would
                  >keep my warm to about 30F. I really don't want to invest the time and money into anything
                  >undercover-ish but would rather just have something inside. Does anyone know of a good
                  >down underquilt that would accomadate my need for simplicity? Lots of great ideas in here
                  >but i need and quick fix and don't have much time for experimentation. THANKS! Any
                  >ideas are welcome.

                • Scott Macri
                  Message 8 of 19 , Aug 1, 2006
                    Has anyone ever tried using a supershelter and a JacksRBetter underquilt on
                    the hammock at the same time? I'll have to see if this works. I am going
                    to play around with some more stuff today.

                    --

                    On 8/1/06, Dick Matthews <dick@...> wrote:

                    > A Jacks'R'Better 3 season set works for me down to 30. I sleep in
                    > expedition weight long underwear. Fleece retains loft inside the
                    > hammock much better than down, but does not block the wind. Drop
                    > Stopper rain gear can be added as a VB clothes.
                    >
                    > Dick Matthews
                    > Wheat Ridge, CO

                  • Jeff
                    Message 9 of 19 , Aug 2, 2006
                      wrote:

                      > Oh ok...cool. Well, it'll definitely be nice once I get a KAQ.
                      But
                      > 'till then, any cheap ideas?

                      CCF and a SPE. Or Risk's Overlap Pad or Rock's Wing Pad. But of
                      those, I'd pick the SPE.

                      > That reminds me. As far as overquilts go, is there anything pre-
                      made
                      > out there that's synthetic?

                      Somebody does, but I'm going blank on who it is at the moment. One
                      of the cottage makers. GoLite used to but I think they discontinued
                      it a few years ago.

                      > I like the Ray-way
                      > quilt, but I'm not really confident enough with my DIY skills to
                      try
                      > something that complicated...

                      If you can make a stuff sack, you can make a quilt. Seriously. It
                      was one of my first projects.

                      Jeff
                    • Jeff
                      Message 10 of 19 , Aug 2, 2006
                        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Scott Macri"
                        <hacktorious@...> wrote:

                        > Has anybody tried sewing a large pocket to the bottom of their
                        hammock to
                        > hold a ccf pad, or something?

                        CD Pritchard used to post here - maybe he's still lurking. He made
                        a pad pocket. And the Crazy Creek I'm testing now has a pad pocket.

                        I don't know how satisfied CD is with his version, but I don't think
                        the Crazy Creek pad pocket works as well as a two-layer hammock b/c
                        it restricts where I can put the pad. Since it's inline with the
                        hammock, I can't get diagonal, and since it's the same width all the
                        way down it bunches up the pad at the ends.

                        As far as pads go, I thought a two-layer hammock works pretty well.
                        I'd still rather use a SPE instead of the two-layer hammock, though -
                        and it's probably lighter than a full panel of hammock material.

                        JMO.

                        Jeff
                      • Keith
                        Message 11 of 19 , Aug 2, 2006
                          I'm missing the acronym again....SPE?

                          > CCF and a SPE. Or Risk's Overlap Pad or Rock's Wing Pad. But of
                          > those, I'd pick the SPE.

                          > If you can make a stuff sack, you can make a quilt. Seriously. It
                          > was one of my first projects.

                          Well...I may have revised my opinion on my DIY skills as of last
                          night....I was up all night making a Gearskin-style pack for the guy
                          who lent me his sewing machine (pretty cheap, if you ask me!), and
                          it's turned out great! Even all the hand-stitching I had to do,
                          through two layers of pack cloth, a thick MI strap, and 1/4" of CCF!

                          So, maybe I AM ready to try a quilt....
                        • Jeff
                          Message 12 of 19 , Aug 2, 2006
                            wrote:

                            > I'm missing the acronym again....SPE?

                            Ed's and Youngblood's Segmented Pad Extender
                            http://www.speerhammocks.com/Products/SPE.htm

                            Jeff