Re: HH fly undercover link

  • Jeff
    Message 1 of 19 , Jul 31, 2006
      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Keith" <pulse_0ptional@...>
      wrote:

      > Well in that case, what would you recommend? Short of an
      underquilt -
      > I've got a KAQ in the works for the winter. I'm just trying to think
      > of something cheap that would work in the somewhat cooler weather
      > between now and then. And...what's DWR? I can usually figure out
      the
      > acronyms, but this one's escaping me...

      Either get an underquilt or put the pad inside the hammock with you.

      DWR is Durable Water Repellent. It's a treatment for ripstop nylon -
      breathable, with varying degrees of water repellency. Some form of
      DWR is used for most quality sleeping bags, quilts, etc.

      > Also, on the subject of underquilts. I don't have mine yet, so I
      > don't know how easy it is to install and adjust, but it looks like it
      > might be kind of a pain. I was thinking about just stuffing the
      > hammock, with quilt attached, like a sleeping bag. It wouldn't
      really
      > be any harder to get out and hang that way. How do you work yours?

      Very easy to connect, and once it's connected you only have to make
      minor adjustments with each setup. I use snakeskins and leave mine
      attached, but just stuffing the whole thing in a stuff sack should
      work fine.

      Jeff
    • Keith
      Message 2 of 19 , Jul 31, 2006
        I tried the pad in the hammock thing. It sucked. And I was using my
        Z-rest which is a LOT more comfy than the cheap CCF pad I got from
        walmart. Scratch that idea :P

        Sounds like you guys have used your underquilts in a lot of different
        conditions. How are they during fairly warm weather? I'd be afraid
        I'd get too hot. Although, even though I posted a thread on WB about
        cooling off in my hammock, the last few times I've used mine, my back
        (against the hammock body) has stayed really cool...much cooler than
        my top.

        > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Keith" <pulse_0ptional@>
        > wrote:
        > >
        > > Well in that case, what would you recommend? Short of an
        > underquilt -
        > > I've got a KAQ in the works for the winter. I'm just trying to think
        > > of something cheap that would work in the somewhat cooler weather
        > > between now and then. And...what's DWR? I can usually figure out
        > the
        > > acronyms, but this one's escaping me...
        >
        > Either get an underquilt or put the pad inside the hammock with you.
        >
        > DWR is Durable Water Repellent. It's a treatment for ripstop nylon -
        > breathable, with varying degrees of water repellency. Some form of
        > DWR is used for most quality sleeping bags, quilts, etc.
        >
        > > Also, on the subject of underquilts. I don't have mine yet, so I
        > > don't know how easy it is to install and adjust, but it looks like it
        > > might be kind of a pain. I was thinking about just stuffing the
        > > hammock, with quilt attached, like a sleeping bag. It wouldn't
        > really
        > > be any harder to get out and hang that way. How do you work yours?
        >
        > Very easy to connect, and once it's connected you only have to make
        > minor adjustments with each setup. I use snakeskins and leave mine
        > attached, but just stuffing the whole thing in a stuff sack should
        > work fine.
        >
        > Jeff

      • Jeff
        Message 3 of 19 , Jul 31, 2006
          wrote:

          > How are they during fairly warm weather?

          I just hang mine looser so there's a gap between the underquilt and
          hammock. That gap cools down...increase the gap to cool off even
          more. Jack calls this "Opening the Windows" on the JRB website.

          That's the biggest downfall I see for insulated hammocks...you can't
          adjust the insulation like with underquilts. But if you know the
          insulated hammock is suited for conditions, you can't get any lighter
          with anything I've seen posted so far.

          Jeff
        • lakewood_matt
          Message 4 of 19 , Jul 31, 2006
            Seems like lots of ideas floating around here. I just have a simple question about warmth.
            I live in Colorado where it frequently gets down to 30F at night. I tried my Big Agnes with
            CCF in the hammock and it DID suck, especially after sleeping without it. Does anyone
            have a simple idea for a warm sleeper that would work with my 30F down bag that would
            keep my warm to about 30F. I really don't want to invest the time and money into anything
            undercover-ish but would rather just have something inside. Does anyone know of a good
            down underquilt that would accomadate my need for simplicity? Lots of great ideas in here
            but i need and quick fix and don't have much time for experimentation. THANKS! Any
            ideas are welcome.

            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Keith" <pulse_0ptional@...> wrote:

            > Jeff- I just bought a CCF pad from Walmart to make a freezer bag cozy
            > out of. I think I've got enough left to make a two-section pad to go
            > under my hammock. Think that'd work with the fly/undercover idea?
            >
            > Also, I've been using a cheap fleece sleeping bag on the last couple
            > of trips I've taken. I was thinking, I could use the bag, or maybe
            > even just half of it, to add some comfort to an underpad? Maybe some
            > extra insulation, too? Thoughts?
            >

            > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff" <jwj32542@> wrote:
            > >
            > > I don't think I ever posted that I restored the link to the .pdf with
            > > instructions for turning the HH fly into an undercover. Here it is
            > > if'n yer innerstid.
            > >
            > > http://www.tothewoods.net/ImagesStayWarm/HH_UnderflyProject.pdf
            > >
            > > Jeff

          • Keith
            Message 5 of 19 , Jul 31, 2006
              Oh ok...cool. Well, it'll definitely be nice once I get a KAQ. But
              'till then, any cheap ideas? I guess I need something decent down to
              about 50 F. I do have a couple of sleeping bags I can use as
              overquilts too.

              That reminds me. As far as overquilts go, is there anything pre-made
              out there that's synthetic? I'm allergic to down. I like the Ray-way
              quilt, but I'm not really confident enough with my DIY skills to try
              something that complicated...

              Message 6 of 19 , Jul 31, 2006
                i have a big agness insulated aircore & it starts feeling chilly to me in the low 50s. but i now have an exped down air mat (DAM) & it would probably keep you warm on bottom at around 30F with a good bag or quilt. ...tim

                lakewood_matt <lakewood_matt@...> wrote: Seems like lots of ideas floating around here. I just have a simple question about warmth.

                wrote:

                > Jeff- I just bought a CCF pad from Walmart to make a freezer bag cozy
                > out of. I think I've got enough left to make a two-section pad to go
                > under my hammock. Think that'd work with the fly/undercover idea?
                >
                > Also, I've been using a cheap fleece sleeping bag on the last couple
                > of trips I've taken. I was thinking, I could use the bag, or maybe
                > even just half of it, to add some comfort to an underpad? Maybe some
                > extra insulation, too? Thoughts?
                >

                > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff" wrote:
                > >
                > > I don't think I ever posted that I restored the link to the .pdf with
                > > instructions for turning the HH fly into an undercover. Here it is
                > > if'n yer innerstid.
                > >
                > > http://www.tothewoods.net/ImagesStayWarm/HH_UnderflyProject.pdf
                > >
                > > Jeff

              • Scott Macri
                Message 7 of 19 , Jul 31, 2006
                  Has anybody tried sewing a large pocket to the bottom of their hammock to
                  hold a ccf pad, or something?

                  Seems to me it might work rather well and would likely be easier to setup
                  than a super shelter. It might not be as effective as a peapod though.

                  --
                  Scott A. Macri
                  Trail Name: Mowgli

                  On 7/31/06, Keith <pulse_0ptional@...> wrote:

                  > Jeff- I just bought a CCF pad from Walmart to make a freezer bag cozy
                  > out of. I think I've got enough left to make a two-section pad to go
                  > under my hammock. Think that'd work with the fly/undercover idea?
                  >
                  > Also, I've been using a cheap fleece sleeping bag on the last couple
                  > of trips I've taken. I was thinking, I could use the bag, or maybe
                  > even just half of it, to add some comfort to an underpad? Maybe some
                  > extra insulation, too? Thoughts?

                • Dick Matthews
                  Message 8 of 19 , Aug 1, 2006
                    A Jacks'R'Better 3 season set works for me down to 30. I sleep in
                    expedition weight long underwear. Fleece retains loft inside the
                    hammock much better than down, but does not block the wind. Drop
                    Stopper rain gear can be added as a VB clothes.

                    Dick Matthews
                    Wheat Ridge, CO

                    lakewood_matt wrote:

                    >Seems like lots of ideas floating around here. I just have a simple question about warmth.
                    >I live in Colorado where it frequently gets down to 30F at night. I tried my Big Agnes with
                    >CCF in the hammock and it DID suck, especially after sleeping without it. Does anyone
                    >have a simple idea for a warm sleeper that would work with my 30F down bag that would
                    >keep my warm to about 30F. I really don't want to invest the time and money into anything
                    >undercover-ish but would rather just have something inside. Does anyone know of a good
                    >down underquilt that would accomadate my need for simplicity? Lots of great ideas in here
                    >but i need and quick fix and don't have much time for experimentation. THANKS! Any
                    >ideas are welcome.

                  • Scott Macri
                    Message 9 of 19 , Aug 1, 2006
                      Has anyone ever tried using a supershelter and a JacksRBetter underquilt on
                      the hammock at the same time? I'll have to see if this works. I am going
                      to play around with some more stuff today.

                      --

                      On 8/1/06, Dick Matthews <dick@...> wrote:

                      > A Jacks'R'Better 3 season set works for me down to 30. I sleep in
                      > expedition weight long underwear. Fleece retains loft inside the
                      > hammock much better than down, but does not block the wind. Drop
                      > Stopper rain gear can be added as a VB clothes.
                      >
                      > Dick Matthews
                      > Wheat Ridge, CO

                    • Jeff
                      Message 10 of 19 , Aug 2, 2006
                        wrote:

                        > Oh ok...cool. Well, it'll definitely be nice once I get a KAQ.
                        But
                        > 'till then, any cheap ideas?

                        CCF and a SPE. Or Risk's Overlap Pad or Rock's Wing Pad. But of
                        those, I'd pick the SPE.

                        > That reminds me. As far as overquilts go, is there anything pre-
                        made
                        > out there that's synthetic?

                        Somebody does, but I'm going blank on who it is at the moment. One
                        of the cottage makers. GoLite used to but I think they discontinued
                        it a few years ago.

                        > I like the Ray-way
                        > quilt, but I'm not really confident enough with my DIY skills to
                        try
                        > something that complicated...

                        If you can make a stuff sack, you can make a quilt. Seriously. It
                        was one of my first projects.

                        Jeff
                      • Jeff
                        Message 11 of 19 , Aug 2, 2006
                          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Scott Macri"
                          <hacktorious@...> wrote:

                          > Has anybody tried sewing a large pocket to the bottom of their
                          hammock to
                          > hold a ccf pad, or something?

                          CD Pritchard used to post here - maybe he's still lurking. He made
                          a pad pocket. And the Crazy Creek I'm testing now has a pad pocket.

                          I don't know how satisfied CD is with his version, but I don't think
                          the Crazy Creek pad pocket works as well as a two-layer hammock b/c
                          it restricts where I can put the pad. Since it's inline with the
                          hammock, I can't get diagonal, and since it's the same width all the
                          way down it bunches up the pad at the ends.

                          As far as pads go, I thought a two-layer hammock works pretty well.
                          I'd still rather use a SPE instead of the two-layer hammock, though -
                          and it's probably lighter than a full panel of hammock material.

                          JMO.

                          Jeff
                        • Keith
                          Message 12 of 19 , Aug 2, 2006
                            I'm missing the acronym again....SPE?

                            > CCF and a SPE. Or Risk's Overlap Pad or Rock's Wing Pad. But of
                            > those, I'd pick the SPE.

                            > If you can make a stuff sack, you can make a quilt. Seriously. It
                            > was one of my first projects.

                            Well...I may have revised my opinion on my DIY skills as of last
                            night....I was up all night making a Gearskin-style pack for the guy
                            who lent me his sewing machine (pretty cheap, if you ask me!), and
                            it's turned out great! Even all the hand-stitching I had to do,
                            through two layers of pack cloth, a thick MI strap, and 1/4" of CCF!

                            So, maybe I AM ready to try a quilt....
                          • Jeff
                            Message 13 of 19 , Aug 2, 2006
                              wrote:

                              > I'm missing the acronym again....SPE?

                              Ed's and Youngblood's Segmented Pad Extender
                              http://www.speerhammocks.com/Products/SPE.htm

                              Jeff