HH fly undercover link

  • Jeff
    Message 1 of 19 , Jul 30, 2006
      I don't think I ever posted that I restored the link to the .pdf with
      instructions for turning the HH fly into an undercover. Here it is
      if'n yer innerstid.

      http://www.tothewoods.net/ImagesStayWarm/HH_UnderflyProject.pdf

      Jeff
    • Keith
      Message 2 of 19 , Jul 31, 2006
        Thanks a lot, Jeff! Looks like a great, cheap, and easy idea!
        Especially for someone of my...ahem...limited :P sewing experience. I
        just ordered an aftermarket tarp, so I may be trying this out soon!

        > I don't think I ever posted that I restored the link to the .pdf with
        > instructions for turning the HH fly into an undercover. Here it is
        > if'n yer innerstid.
        >
        > http://www.tothewoods.net/ImagesStayWarm/HH_UnderflyProject.pdf
        >
        > Jeff

      • Keith
        Message 3 of 19 , Jul 31, 2006
          Jeff- I just bought a CCF pad from Walmart to make a freezer bag cozy
          out of. I think I've got enough left to make a two-section pad to go
          under my hammock. Think that'd work with the fly/undercover idea?

          Also, I've been using a cheap fleece sleeping bag on the last couple
          of trips I've taken. I was thinking, I could use the bag, or maybe
          even just half of it, to add some comfort to an underpad? Maybe some
          extra insulation, too? Thoughts?

          > I don't think I ever posted that I restored the link to the .pdf with
          > instructions for turning the HH fly into an undercover. Here it is
          > if'n yer innerstid.
          >
          > http://www.tothewoods.net/ImagesStayWarm/HH_UnderflyProject.pdf
          >
          > Jeff

        • Jeff
          Message 4 of 19 , Jul 31, 2006
            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Keith" <pulse_0ptional@...>
            wrote:

            > Jeff- I just bought a CCF pad from Walmart to make a freezer bag
            cozy
            > out of. I think I've got enough left to make a two-section pad to
            go
            > under my hammock. Think that'd work with the fly/undercover idea?

            I think the undercover would have to be very tight in order to snug
            the pad to the bottom of the hammock. I know a two-layer hammock
            can do that, but I'm not sure this undercover would hold it tightly
            enough to prevent air gaps when the pad buckles.

            It's probably worth testing, though.

            > Also, I've been using a cheap fleece sleeping bag on the last
            couple
            > of trips I've taken. I was thinking, I could use the bag, or maybe
            > even just half of it, to add some comfort to an underpad? Maybe
            some
            > extra insulation, too? Thoughts?

            Putting something synthetic between a non-breathable pad and your
            body can help with moisture management, which would add comfort.
            Fleece would add some warmth, but for the weight there are better
            options. Something lighter, like plain old DWR, can also help with
            moisture and be much lighter than fleece.

            I'm certainly not knocking fleece - it's much more comfortable than
            DWR or CCF, IMO. I just think that if you're going to carry the
            extra weight/bulk of fleece, it should be based on comfort and how
            it feels against your skin rather than "warmth" or "moisture
            management" alone.

            Jeff
          • Keith
            Message 5 of 19 , Jul 31, 2006
              Well in that case, what would you recommend? Short of an underquilt -
              I've got a KAQ in the works for the winter. I'm just trying to think
              of something cheap that would work in the somewhat cooler weather
              between now and then. And...what's DWR? I can usually figure out the
              acronyms, but this one's escaping me...

              Also, on the subject of underquilts. I don't have mine yet, so I
              don't know how easy it is to install and adjust, but it looks like it
              might be kind of a pain. I was thinking about just stuffing the
              hammock, with quilt attached, like a sleeping bag. It wouldn't really
              be any harder to get out and hang that way. How do you work yours?
            • Bill in Houston
              Message 6 of 19 , Jul 31, 2006
                You're not gonna like this, but you could put the CCF pad in the
                hammock with you... Ugh. You might be able to stand it until you get
                something you like better.

                Bill in Houston

                Message 7 of 19 , Jul 31, 2006
                  wrote:

                  > Well in that case, what would you recommend? Short of an
                  underquilt -
                  > I've got a KAQ in the works for the winter. I'm just trying to think
                  > of something cheap that would work in the somewhat cooler weather
                  > between now and then. And...what's DWR? I can usually figure out
                  the
                  > acronyms, but this one's escaping me...

                  Either get an underquilt or put the pad inside the hammock with you.

                  DWR is Durable Water Repellent. It's a treatment for ripstop nylon -
                  breathable, with varying degrees of water repellency. Some form of
                  DWR is used for most quality sleeping bags, quilts, etc.

                  > Also, on the subject of underquilts. I don't have mine yet, so I
                  > don't know how easy it is to install and adjust, but it looks like it
                  > might be kind of a pain. I was thinking about just stuffing the
                  > hammock, with quilt attached, like a sleeping bag. It wouldn't
                  really
                  > be any harder to get out and hang that way. How do you work yours?

                  Very easy to connect, and once it's connected you only have to make
                  minor adjustments with each setup. I use snakeskins and leave mine
                  attached, but just stuffing the whole thing in a stuff sack should
                  work fine.

                  Jeff
                • Keith
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jul 31, 2006
                    I tried the pad in the hammock thing. It sucked. And I was using my
                    Z-rest which is a LOT more comfy than the cheap CCF pad I got from
                    walmart. Scratch that idea :P

                    Sounds like you guys have used your underquilts in a lot of different
                    conditions. How are they during fairly warm weather? I'd be afraid
                    I'd get too hot. Although, even though I posted a thread on WB about
                    cooling off in my hammock, the last few times I've used mine, my back
                    (against the hammock body) has stayed really cool...much cooler than
                    my top.

                    > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Keith" <pulse_0ptional@>
                    > wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Well in that case, what would you recommend? Short of an
                    > underquilt -
                    > > I've got a KAQ in the works for the winter. I'm just trying to think
                    > > of something cheap that would work in the somewhat cooler weather
                    > > between now and then. And...what's DWR? I can usually figure out
                    > the
                    > > acronyms, but this one's escaping me...
                    >
                    > Either get an underquilt or put the pad inside the hammock with you.
                    >
                    > DWR is Durable Water Repellent. It's a treatment for ripstop nylon -
                    > breathable, with varying degrees of water repellency. Some form of
                    > DWR is used for most quality sleeping bags, quilts, etc.
                    >
                    > > Also, on the subject of underquilts. I don't have mine yet, so I
                    > > don't know how easy it is to install and adjust, but it looks like it
                    > > might be kind of a pain. I was thinking about just stuffing the
                    > > hammock, with quilt attached, like a sleeping bag. It wouldn't
                    > really
                    > > be any harder to get out and hang that way. How do you work yours?
                    >
                    > Very easy to connect, and once it's connected you only have to make
                    > minor adjustments with each setup. I use snakeskins and leave mine
                    > attached, but just stuffing the whole thing in a stuff sack should
                    > work fine.
                    >
                    > Jeff

                  • Jeff
                    Message 9 of 19 , Jul 31, 2006
                      wrote:

                      > How are they during fairly warm weather?

                      I just hang mine looser so there's a gap between the underquilt and
                      hammock. That gap cools down...increase the gap to cool off even
                      more. Jack calls this "Opening the Windows" on the JRB website.

                      That's the biggest downfall I see for insulated hammocks...you can't
                      adjust the insulation like with underquilts. But if you know the
                      insulated hammock is suited for conditions, you can't get any lighter
                      with anything I've seen posted so far.

                      Jeff
                    • lakewood_matt
                      Message 10 of 19 , Jul 31, 2006
                        Seems like lots of ideas floating around here. I just have a simple question about warmth.
                        I live in Colorado where it frequently gets down to 30F at night. I tried my Big Agnes with
                        CCF in the hammock and it DID suck, especially after sleeping without it. Does anyone
                        have a simple idea for a warm sleeper that would work with my 30F down bag that would
                        keep my warm to about 30F. I really don't want to invest the time and money into anything
                        undercover-ish but would rather just have something inside. Does anyone know of a good
                        down underquilt that would accomadate my need for simplicity? Lots of great ideas in here
                        but i need and quick fix and don't have much time for experimentation. THANKS! Any
                        ideas are welcome.

                        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Keith" <pulse_0ptional@...> wrote:

                        > Jeff- I just bought a CCF pad from Walmart to make a freezer bag cozy
                        > out of. I think I've got enough left to make a two-section pad to go
                        > under my hammock. Think that'd work with the fly/undercover idea?
                        >
                        > Also, I've been using a cheap fleece sleeping bag on the last couple
                        > of trips I've taken. I was thinking, I could use the bag, or maybe
                        > even just half of it, to add some comfort to an underpad? Maybe some
                        > extra insulation, too? Thoughts?
                        >

                        > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff" <jwj32542@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > I don't think I ever posted that I restored the link to the .pdf with
                        > > instructions for turning the HH fly into an undercover. Here it is
                        > > if'n yer innerstid.
                        > >
                        > > http://www.tothewoods.net/ImagesStayWarm/HH_UnderflyProject.pdf
                        > >
                        > > Jeff

                      • Keith
                        Message 11 of 19 , Jul 31, 2006
                          Oh ok...cool. Well, it'll definitely be nice once I get a KAQ. But
                          'till then, any cheap ideas? I guess I need something decent down to
                          about 50 F. I do have a couple of sleeping bags I can use as
                          overquilts too.

                          That reminds me. As far as overquilts go, is there anything pre-made
                          out there that's synthetic? I'm allergic to down. I like the Ray-way
                          quilt, but I'm not really confident enough with my DIY skills to try
                          something that complicated...

                          Message 12 of 19 , Jul 31, 2006
                            i have a big agness insulated aircore & it starts feeling chilly to me in the low 50s. but i now have an exped down air mat (DAM) & it would probably keep you warm on bottom at around 30F with a good bag or quilt. ...tim

                            lakewood_matt <lakewood_matt@...> wrote: Seems like lots of ideas floating around here. I just have a simple question about warmth.

                            wrote:

                            > Jeff- I just bought a CCF pad from Walmart to make a freezer bag cozy
                            > out of. I think I've got enough left to make a two-section pad to go
                            > under my hammock. Think that'd work with the fly/undercover idea?
                            >
                            > Also, I've been using a cheap fleece sleeping bag on the last couple
                            > of trips I've taken. I was thinking, I could use the bag, or maybe
                            > even just half of it, to add some comfort to an underpad? Maybe some
                            > extra insulation, too? Thoughts?
                            >

                            > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff" wrote:
                            > >
                            > > I don't think I ever posted that I restored the link to the .pdf with
                            > > instructions for turning the HH fly into an undercover. Here it is
                            > > if'n yer innerstid.
                            > >
                            > > http://www.tothewoods.net/ImagesStayWarm/HH_UnderflyProject.pdf
                            > >
                            > > Jeff

                          • Scott Macri
                            Message 13 of 19 , Jul 31, 2006
                              Has anybody tried sewing a large pocket to the bottom of their hammock to
                              hold a ccf pad, or something?

                              Seems to me it might work rather well and would likely be easier to setup
                              than a super shelter. It might not be as effective as a peapod though.

                              --
                              Scott A. Macri
                              Trail Name: Mowgli

                              On 7/31/06, Keith <pulse_0ptional@...> wrote:

                              > Jeff- I just bought a CCF pad from Walmart to make a freezer bag cozy
                              > out of. I think I've got enough left to make a two-section pad to go
                              > under my hammock. Think that'd work with the fly/undercover idea?
                              >
                              > Also, I've been using a cheap fleece sleeping bag on the last couple
                              > of trips I've taken. I was thinking, I could use the bag, or maybe
                              > even just half of it, to add some comfort to an underpad? Maybe some
                              > extra insulation, too? Thoughts?

                            • Dick Matthews
                              Message 14 of 19 , Aug 1, 2006
                                A Jacks'R'Better 3 season set works for me down to 30. I sleep in
                                expedition weight long underwear. Fleece retains loft inside the
                                hammock much better than down, but does not block the wind. Drop
                                Stopper rain gear can be added as a VB clothes.

                                Dick Matthews
                                Wheat Ridge, CO

                                lakewood_matt wrote:

                                >Seems like lots of ideas floating around here. I just have a simple question about warmth.
                                >I live in Colorado where it frequently gets down to 30F at night. I tried my Big Agnes with
                                >CCF in the hammock and it DID suck, especially after sleeping without it. Does anyone
                                >have a simple idea for a warm sleeper that would work with my 30F down bag that would
                                >keep my warm to about 30F. I really don't want to invest the time and money into anything
                                >undercover-ish but would rather just have something inside. Does anyone know of a good
                                >down underquilt that would accomadate my need for simplicity? Lots of great ideas in here
                                >but i need and quick fix and don't have much time for experimentation. THANKS! Any
                                >ideas are welcome.

                              • Scott Macri
                                Message 15 of 19 , Aug 1, 2006
                                  Has anyone ever tried using a supershelter and a JacksRBetter underquilt on
                                  the hammock at the same time? I'll have to see if this works. I am going
                                  to play around with some more stuff today.

                                  --

                                  On 8/1/06, Dick Matthews <dick@...> wrote:

                                  > A Jacks'R'Better 3 season set works for me down to 30. I sleep in
                                  > expedition weight long underwear. Fleece retains loft inside the
                                  > hammock much better than down, but does not block the wind. Drop
                                  > Stopper rain gear can be added as a VB clothes.
                                  >
                                  > Dick Matthews
                                  > Wheat Ridge, CO

                                • Jeff
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Aug 2, 2006
                                    wrote:

                                    > Oh ok...cool. Well, it'll definitely be nice once I get a KAQ.
                                    But
                                    > 'till then, any cheap ideas?

                                    CCF and a SPE. Or Risk's Overlap Pad or Rock's Wing Pad. But of
                                    those, I'd pick the SPE.

                                    > That reminds me. As far as overquilts go, is there anything pre-
                                    made
                                    > out there that's synthetic?

                                    Somebody does, but I'm going blank on who it is at the moment. One
                                    of the cottage makers. GoLite used to but I think they discontinued
                                    it a few years ago.

                                    > I like the Ray-way
                                    > quilt, but I'm not really confident enough with my DIY skills to
                                    try
                                    > something that complicated...

                                    If you can make a stuff sack, you can make a quilt. Seriously. It
                                    was one of my first projects.

                                    Jeff
                                  • Jeff
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Aug 2, 2006
                                      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Scott Macri"
                                      <hacktorious@...> wrote:

                                      > Has anybody tried sewing a large pocket to the bottom of their
                                      hammock to
                                      > hold a ccf pad, or something?

                                      CD Pritchard used to post here - maybe he's still lurking. He made
                                      a pad pocket. And the Crazy Creek I'm testing now has a pad pocket.

                                      I don't know how satisfied CD is with his version, but I don't think
                                      the Crazy Creek pad pocket works as well as a two-layer hammock b/c
                                      it restricts where I can put the pad. Since it's inline with the
                                      hammock, I can't get diagonal, and since it's the same width all the
                                      way down it bunches up the pad at the ends.

                                      As far as pads go, I thought a two-layer hammock works pretty well.
                                      I'd still rather use a SPE instead of the two-layer hammock, though -
                                      and it's probably lighter than a full panel of hammock material.

                                      JMO.

                                      Jeff
                                    • Keith
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Aug 2, 2006
                                        I'm missing the acronym again....SPE?

                                        > CCF and a SPE. Or Risk's Overlap Pad or Rock's Wing Pad. But of
                                        > those, I'd pick the SPE.

                                        > If you can make a stuff sack, you can make a quilt. Seriously. It
                                        > was one of my first projects.

                                        Well...I may have revised my opinion on my DIY skills as of last
                                        night....I was up all night making a Gearskin-style pack for the guy
                                        who lent me his sewing machine (pretty cheap, if you ask me!), and
                                        it's turned out great! Even all the hand-stitching I had to do,
                                        through two layers of pack cloth, a thick MI strap, and 1/4" of CCF!

                                        So, maybe I AM ready to try a quilt....
                                      • Jeff
                                        Message 19 of 19 , Aug 2, 2006
                                          wrote:

                                          > I'm missing the acronym again....SPE?

                                          Ed's and Youngblood's Segmented Pad Extender
                                          http://www.speerhammocks.com/Products/SPE.htm

                                          Jeff