Gear hammock/pack cover

  • Keith
    Message 1 of 19 , Jul 30, 2006
      Jeff (or anyone) - I went the cheap route here. I've got a good
      lightweight (coated, not silnylon) pack cover laying around, so I
      think....why not make a gear hammock? So I proceeded to cut and
      restitch two small holes in it, insert mini biners, and away I went.
      My apologies to JRB (and you), but cash is a precious commodity these
      days.

      Question: When loaded and hung from my HH, the thing drags down the
      asym tie-out point. REALLY drags it down. Inside, it kinda makes a
      long fold down the side of the hammock. Is this normal? Is there
      anything I can do to correct it? It's making things a bit less than
      comfortable in there...
    • Jeff
      Message 2 of 19 , Jul 30, 2006
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Keith" <pulse_0ptional@...>
        wrote:

        > My apologies to JRB (and you), but cash is a precious commodity these
        > days.

        NP - that's why I posted DIY instructions on my page. For the first
        prototype, anyway.

        > Question: When loaded and hung from my HH, the thing drags down the
        > asym tie-out point. REALLY drags it down.

        Depending on how much weight you put in there, it's normal. I solve
        the problem by staking that tie-out point at a sharp angle and a bit
        tighter than normal. Instead of staking the tie-out when you set up,
        wait until you have most of the stuff in the gear hammock. Then pull
        the stake towards the head, and away from the hammock, until it's
        closer to normal.

        It'll still be touching the hammock, which takes some getting used
        to. Reducing the amount of weight in there will help. Water is the
        biggest thing - if I have more than 20oz or so of water, like my full
        3L Platy, I'll hang that from the ridgeline and leave the rest of my
        stuff in the gear hammock. Helps quite a bit.

        Jeff
      • Keith
        Message 3 of 19 , Jul 30, 2006
          Great input, guys. Thanks!

          I guess my concern was adding MORE weight. I actually put my food in
          the gear hammock when I tested it; I know, that's a no-no. But I was
          just testing in my yard, I wanted to weight the thing, and food was
          handy :P I won't do that on the trail, obviously, but I'd like to put
          the new pack I'm getting (small, but still around 3.5#) in there. As
          far as water, I strangled a 20 oz bottle with a bight and hung it
          inside on the ridgeline for easy access. My platy will definitely go
          outside, either on the tree or on the support line. Still,
          though...the pack might be too heavy? What do you think?

          > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Keith" <pulse_0ptional@>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > My apologies to JRB (and you), but cash is a precious commodity these
          > > days.
          >
          > NP - that's why I posted DIY instructions on my page. For the first
          > prototype, anyway.
          >
          > > Question: When loaded and hung from my HH, the thing drags down the
          > > asym tie-out point. REALLY drags it down.
          >
          > Depending on how much weight you put in there, it's normal. I solve
          > the problem by staking that tie-out point at a sharp angle and a bit
          > tighter than normal. Instead of staking the tie-out when you set up,
          > wait until you have most of the stuff in the gear hammock. Then pull
          > the stake towards the head, and away from the hammock, until it's
          > closer to normal.
          >
          > It'll still be touching the hammock, which takes some getting used
          > to. Reducing the amount of weight in there will help. Water is the
          > biggest thing - if I have more than 20oz or so of water, like my full
          > 3L Platy, I'll hang that from the ridgeline and leave the rest of my
          > stuff in the gear hammock. Helps quite a bit.
          >
          > Jeff

        • Jeff
          Message 4 of 19 , Jul 30, 2006
            wrote:

            > ...the pack might be too heavy? What do you think?

            I don't think it'll be a problem...guess it depends on how much other
            stuff you have in there, though. Mine usually has about 5 lbs total
            in there, I guess...usually the pack, maybe a bottle of water, and
            whatever clothes I'm not using as pillows. That's about it.

            And I often sleep with my food. I don't like to put it in the Gear
            Hammock b/c I want to know if a critter's trying to get at it, so I'll
            tie it to the ridgeline and let it sit just inside the foot or head of
            the HH. I know it's a no-no but I've never had a problem with it
            yet. Guess when a bear comes sniffing I'll change my tune... :-o

            Jeff
          • Scott Macri
            Message 5 of 19 , Jul 31, 2006
              Hopefully you at least keep your food in a odor proof bag. I put my food in
              an odor proof bag, then drop that into my a stuff sac, then hang it.

              --
              Scott A. Macri
              www.HikeHaven.com

              On 7/31/06, Jeff <jwj32542@...> wrote:

              > "Keith" <pulse_0ptional@...>
              > wrote:
              > >
              > > ...the pack might be too heavy? What do you think?
              >
              > I don't think it'll be a problem...guess it depends on how much other
              > stuff you have in there, though. Mine usually has about 5 lbs total
              > in there, I guess...usually the pack, maybe a bottle of water, and
              > whatever clothes I'm not using as pillows. That's about it.
              >
              > And I often sleep with my food. I don't like to put it in the Gear
              > Hammock b/c I want to know if a critter's trying to get at it, so I'll
              > tie it to the ridgeline and let it sit just inside the foot or head of
              > the HH. I know it's a no-no but I've never had a problem with it
              > yet. Guess when a bear comes sniffing I'll change my tune... :-o
              >
              > Jeff

            • Jeff
              Message 6 of 19 , Jul 31, 2006
                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Scott Macri" <hacktorious@...>
                wrote:

                > Hopefully you at least keep your food in a odor proof bag. I put my
                food in
                > an odor proof bag, then drop that into my a stuff sac, then hang it.

                Nope. But I always hang my food if I'm in bear-problem territory or
                if I'm at a frequently used campsite. Most of the time I camp at
                seldom used hike-in sites or just pull off the trail somewhere that
                looks nice, so animals haven't formed a habit of expecting food
                there. And I often stop for dinner well before I set up camp, so food
                odors aren't very strong around the campsite. Haven't had a problem
                yet.

                Jeff
              • Scott Macri
                Message 7 of 19 , Jul 31, 2006
                  Interesting.

                  The other night something was under my hammock. I didn't look at it so I
                  don't know what it was, maybe a opossum. At least is sounded like one on
                  the ground a little ways from the hammock. Whatever it was, It sounded like
                  it was hopping around like a kangaroo. LOL

                  I would be more worried about little criters like this smelling the food and
                  chewing a hole in the hammock to get at it. Maybe chomping on my foot in
                  the process. LOL

                  It is funny when in the hammock because animals just assume you are part of
                  the landscape. Birds land on the suspension lines like it has been there
                  all along. A bird landed on a tree branch about 8" from my head.

                  --
                  Scott A. Macri
                  www.HikeHaven.com
                  http://360.yahoo.com/hacktorious
                  Trail Name: Mowgli

                  On 7/31/06, Jeff <jwj32542@...> wrote:

                  > "Scott Macri" <hacktorious@...>
                  >
                  > wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Hopefully you at least keep your food in a odor proof bag. I put my
                  > food in
                  > > an odor proof bag, then drop that into my a stuff sac, then hang it.
                  >
                  > Nope. But I always hang my food if I'm in bear-problem territory or
                  > if I'm at a frequently used campsite. Most of the time I camp at
                  > seldom used hike-in sites or just pull off the trail somewhere that
                  > looks nice, so animals haven't formed a habit of expecting food
                  > there. And I often stop for dinner well before I set up camp, so food
                  > odors aren't very strong around the campsite. Haven't had a problem
                  > yet.
                  >
                  > Jeff

                • Keith
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jul 31, 2006
                    I'm not that concerned about small animals. I've been sleeping in
                    t$&ps for years, no netting or anything, with my food right beside me.
                    Like Jeff, I'd rather KNOW if something was after my food. Whack 'em
                    with a trek pole or something. But I've never had problems. I do
                    hang my food when I'm in the Smokies, but I don't get up there very often.

                    I don't plan on sleeping with my food in my hammock, but maybe in my
                    gear hammock or hung from the support line.

                    wrote:

                    > I would be more worried about little criters like this smelling the
                    food and
                    > chewing a hole in the hammock to get at it. Maybe chomping on my
                    foot in
                    > the process. LOL
                  • Ralph Oborn
                    Message 9 of 19 , Jul 31, 2006
                      On 7/31/06, Keith <pulse_0ptional@...> wrote:

                      I've been sleeping in
                      t$&ps for years, no netting or anything, with my food right beside me.
                      Like Jeff, I'd rather KNOW if something was after my food. Whack 'em
                      with a trek pole or something.

                      The reason I started looking at hammocks was I had skunks walk over my tarp
                      at night. I'm not afraid of skunks but I really don't want to scare them !!
                      :]

                      Ralph

                    • Neville, Rob
                      Message 10 of 19 , Jul 31, 2006
                        "Whatever it was, It sounded like
                        it was hopping around like a kangaroo. LOL"

                        I had a restless night a few weeks ago with a similar sound....and it
                        was LOUD and CLOSE...freaked me out because it was one of those really
                        quiet nights. Finally caught the sucker in my flashlight...it turned
                        out to be a huge toad :D

                      • Keith
                        Message 11 of 19 , Jul 31, 2006
                          Funny how things always sound bigger than they are, isn't it? lol A
                          chipmunk at 100 yds. can sound like a bear....but a lot of that is
                          your imagination, too. I honestly feel much safer in my hammock than
                          in a t$*p - I really don't think an animal would actually try to get IN.

                          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Neville, Rob"
                          <Robert.Neville@...> wrote:

                          > "Whatever it was, It sounded like
                          > it was hopping around like a kangaroo. LOL"
                          >
                          > I had a restless night a few weeks ago with a similar sound....and it
                          > was LOUD and CLOSE...freaked me out because it was one of those really
                          > quiet nights. Finally caught the sucker in my flashlight...it turned
                          > out to be a huge toad :D

                        • Scott Macri
                          Message 12 of 19 , Jul 31, 2006
                            Check this out: *http://tinyurl.com/gzvqz* <http://tinyurl.com/gzvqz>
                            Click the play sound link on the right side of the page. That is a spooky
                            sound.

                            That is the closest thing I can find to the howling I heard, but it was a
                            little different. More like a wharewolf or something. LOL

                            I found a lake about 3 miles from where I was camping, but it is on the
                            other side of a 3000 foot mountain. I am not certain it would carry that
                            far and sound so close.

                            --
                            Scott A. Macri
                            Trail Name: Mowgli
                            www.HikeHaven.com
                            http://360.yahoo.com/hacktorious

                            On 7/31/06, Keith <pulse_0ptional@...> wrote:

                            > Funny how things always sound bigger than they are, isn't it? lol A
                            > chipmunk at 100 yds. can sound like a bear....but a lot of that is
                            > your imagination, too. I honestly feel much safer in my hammock than
                            > in a t$*p - I really don't think an animal would actually try to get IN.

                            > "Neville, Rob"
                            >
                            > <Robert.Neville@...> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > "Whatever it was, It sounded like
                            > > it was hopping around like a kangaroo. LOL"
                            > >
                            > > I had a restless night a few weeks ago with a similar sound....and it
                            > > was LOUD and CLOSE...freaked me out because it was one of those really
                            > > quiet nights. Finally caught the sucker in my flashlight...it turned
                            > > out to be a huge toad :D

                            > .

                          • Keith
                            Message 13 of 19 , Jul 31, 2006
                              Damn...that IS spooky. It's not how far the sound actually CARRIES,
                              though. Not in the woods. I think it's more how your mind and
                              imagination amplify it. Especially without all the 'in town'
                              background level you're used to.

                              wrote:

                              > Check this out: *http://tinyurl.com/gzvqz* <http://tinyurl.com/gzvqz>
                              > Click the play sound link on the right side of the page. That is a
                              spooky
                              > sound.
                              >
                              > That is the closest thing I can find to the howling I heard, but it
                              was a
                              > little different. More like a wharewolf or something. LOL
                              >
                              > I found a lake about 3 miles from where I was camping, but it is on the
                              > other side of a 3000 foot mountain. I am not certain it would carry
                              that
                              > far and sound so close.
                              >
                              > --
                              > Scott A. Macri
                              > Trail Name: Mowgli
                              > www.HikeHaven.com
                              > http://360.yahoo.com/hacktorious
                              >
                              > On 7/31/06, Keith <pulse_0ptional@...> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > Funny how things always sound bigger than they are, isn't it? lol A
                              > > chipmunk at 100 yds. can sound like a bear....but a lot of that is
                              > > your imagination, too. I honestly feel much safer in my hammock than
                              > > in a t$*p - I really don't think an animal would actually try to
                              get IN.

                              > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com
                              <hammockcamping%40yahoogroups.com>,
                              > > "Neville, Rob"
                              > >
                              > > <Robert.Neville@> wrote:
                              > > >
                              > > > "Whatever it was, It sounded like
                              > > > it was hopping around like a kangaroo. LOL"
                              > > >
                              > > > I had a restless night a few weeks ago with a similar
                              sound....and it
                              > > > was LOUD and CLOSE...freaked me out because it was one of those
                              really
                              > > > quiet nights. Finally caught the sucker in my flashlight...it turned
                              > > > out to be a huge toad :D

                              > > .

                            • Scott
                              Message 14 of 19 , Jul 31, 2006
                                Here is a link to some pretty eery sounds...
                                http://www.bfro.net/REF/bfmedia.asp

                                Maybe it *was* a Bigfoot! ;-)

                                The "other" Scott (in Idaho)

                                wrote:

                                > Check this out: *http://tinyurl.com/gzvqz* <http://tinyurl.com/gzvqz>
                                > Click the play sound link on the right side of the page. That is a
                                spooky
                                > sound.
                                >
                                > That is the closest thing I can find to the howling I heard, but it
                                was a
                                > little different. More like a wharewolf or something. LOL
                                >
                                > I found a lake about 3 miles from where I was camping, but it is on the
                                > other side of a 3000 foot mountain. I am not certain it would carry
                                that
                                > far and sound so close.
                                >
                                > --
                                > Scott A. Macri
                                > Trail Name: Mowgli
                                > www.HikeHaven.com
                                > http://360.yahoo.com/hacktorious
                                >
                                > On 7/31/06, Keith <pulse_0ptional@...> wrote:
                                > >
                                > > Funny how things always sound bigger than they are, isn't it? lol A
                                > > chipmunk at 100 yds. can sound like a bear....but a lot of that is
                                > > your imagination, too. I honestly feel much safer in my hammock than
                                > > in a t$*p - I really don't think an animal would actually try to
                                get IN.

                                > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com
                                <hammockcamping%40yahoogroups.com>,
                                > > "Neville, Rob"
                                > >
                                > > <Robert.Neville@> wrote:
                                > > >
                                > > > "Whatever it was, It sounded like
                                > > > it was hopping around like a kangaroo. LOL"
                                > > >
                                > > > I had a restless night a few weeks ago with a similar
                                sound....and it
                                > > > was LOUD and CLOSE...freaked me out because it was one of those
                                really
                                > > > quiet nights. Finally caught the sucker in my flashlight...it turned
                                > > > out to be a huge toad :D

                                > > .

                              • Scott Macri
                                Message 15 of 19 , Aug 1, 2006
                                  OK, now I am starting to get scared. I have been listening to sound files
                                  all day and was beginning to think it was Wolves, or Coyotes. It sounded
                                  more like Wolves, but it was making some weird unidentifiably noises; maybe
                                  it was both. That is until I heard these clips:
                                  http://www.bfro.net/avevid/dennis/kiaftstps1.mp3
                                  http://www.bfro.net/avevid/SierraSounds/Whoop.mp3

                                  YIKES....... Play them both at the same time and take out the knocking;
                                  that my friends is what I heard. One of the sounds was kind of a scream,
                                  which could likely be passed off as a Coyote, or Wolf. The knocking in that
                                  mp3 makes me think it is a fake. There was more howling than whooping, but
                                  there was definitely whooping like that. Everytime I play these clips I get
                                  chills up my spine.

                                  I have to go back to that place to see what I can hear again. I will bring
                                  a recorder. Do I have any volunteers willing to tag along. Not sure I am
                                  up to going out there alone again. LOL

                                  --

                                  On 8/1/06, Scott <scotth61@...> wrote:

                                  > Here is a link to some pretty eery sounds...
                                  > http://www.bfro.net/REF/bfmedia.asp
                                  >
                                  > Maybe it *was* a Bigfoot! ;-)
                                  >
                                  > The "other" Scott (in Idaho)

                                  > "Scott Macri" <hacktorious@...>
                                  > wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > > Check this out: *http://tinyurl.com/gzvqz* <http://tinyurl.com/gzvqz>
                                  > > Click the play sound link on the right side of the page. That is a
                                  > spooky
                                  > > sound.
                                  > >
                                  > > That is the closest thing I can find to the howling I heard, but it
                                  > was a
                                  > > little different. More like a wharewolf or something. LOL
                                  > >
                                  > > I found a lake about 3 miles from where I was camping, but it is on the
                                  > > other side of a 3000 foot mountain. I am not certain it would carry
                                  > that
                                  > > far and sound so close.
                                  > >
                                  > > --
                                  > > Scott A. Macri
                                  > > Trail Name: Mowgli
                                  > > www.HikeHaven.com
                                  > > http://360.yahoo.com/hacktorious
                                  > >
                                  > > On 7/31/06, Keith <pulse_0ptional@...> wrote:
                                  > > >
                                  > > > Funny how things always sound bigger than they are, isn't it? lol A
                                  > > > chipmunk at 100 yds. can sound like a bear....but a lot of that is
                                  > > > your imagination, too. I honestly feel much safer in my hammock than
                                  > > > in a t$*p - I really don't think an animal would actually try to
                                  > get IN.
                                  > > >
                                  > > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com<hammockcamping%40yahoogroups.com>
                                  > <hammockcamping%40yahoogroups.com>,

                                  > sound....and it
                                  > really

                                  > > > .

                                • Keith
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Aug 1, 2006
                                    I don't think you want me to go....my wife gets pretty irritated when
                                    I chuckle at her 'bump in the night' phobias....:P

                                    wrote:

                                    > OK, now I am starting to get scared. I have been listening to sound
                                    files
                                    > all day and was beginning to think it was Wolves, or Coyotes. It
                                    sounded
                                    > more like Wolves, but it was making some weird unidentifiably
                                    noises; maybe
                                    > it was both. That is until I heard these clips:
                                    > http://www.bfro.net/avevid/dennis/kiaftstps1.mp3
                                    > http://www.bfro.net/avevid/SierraSounds/Whoop.mp3
                                    >
                                    > YIKES....... Play them both at the same time and take out the knocking;
                                    > that my friends is what I heard. One of the sounds was kind of a
                                    scream,
                                    > which could likely be passed off as a Coyote, or Wolf. The knocking
                                    in that
                                    > mp3 makes me think it is a fake. There was more howling than
                                    whooping, but
                                    > there was definitely whooping like that. Everytime I play these
                                    clips I get
                                    > chills up my spine.
                                    >
                                    > I have to go back to that place to see what I can hear again. I
                                    will bring
                                    > a recorder. Do I have any volunteers willing to tag along. Not
                                    sure I am
                                    > up to going out there alone again. LOL
                                    >
                                    > --
                                    > Scott A. Macri
                                    > Trail Name: Mowgli
                                    > www.HikeHaven.com
                                    > http://360.yahoo.com/hacktorious
                                    >
                                    > On 8/1/06, Scott <scotth61@...> wrote:
                                    > >
                                    > > Here is a link to some pretty eery sounds...
                                    > > http://www.bfro.net/REF/bfmedia.asp
                                    > >
                                    > > Maybe it *was* a Bigfoot! ;-)
                                    > >
                                    > > The "other" Scott (in Idaho)
                                    > >
                                    > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com
                                    <hammockcamping%40yahoogroups.com>,
                                    > > "Scott Macri" <hacktorious@>
                                    > > wrote:
                                    > > >
                                    > > > Check this out: *http://tinyurl.com/gzvqz*
                                    <http://tinyurl.com/gzvqz>
                                    > > > Click the play sound link on the right side of the page. That is a
                                    > > spooky
                                    > > > sound.
                                    > > >
                                    > > > That is the closest thing I can find to the howling I heard, but it
                                    > > was a
                                    > > > little different. More like a wharewolf or something. LOL
                                    > > >
                                    > > > I found a lake about 3 miles from where I was camping, but it is
                                    on the
                                    > > > other side of a 3000 foot mountain. I am not certain it would carry
                                    > > that
                                    > > > far and sound so close.
                                    > > >
                                    > > > --
                                    > > > Scott A. Macri
                                    > > > Trail Name: Mowgli
                                    > > > www.HikeHaven.com
                                    > > > http://360.yahoo.com/hacktorious

                                    lol A
                                    > > get IN.

                                    hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com<hammockcamping%40yahoogroups.com>
                                    > > <hammockcamping%40yahoogroups.com>,

                                    > > sound....and it
                                    > > really

                                  • Scott Macri
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Aug 1, 2006
                                      I'll probably go alone again. I need to borrow a night camera setup. If it
                                      was Wolves or something I would love to get some photos.

                                      Message 18 of 19 , Aug 1, 2006
                                        Hey, that's a great idea! Here's what you should do:

                                        Borrow a video camera with night vision. Most of 'em have it, even
                                        the cheaper ones. When you get to camp, set the camera up so it's
                                        pointing at your hammock. Get in your hammock and hang a nice, fresh
                                        pork chop from your ridgeline. Sit and wait.

                                        The rest of us can start a pool on how far you get dragged in your 'to
                                        go bag' before the wolves figure out how to get you out....any takers? :P

                                        On the upside, if you survive, you'll be able to sell the video!! I
                                        know I'd buy it! LOL

                                        Message 19 of 19 , Aug 1, 2006
                                          Mmmm, pork chops. Time for lunch. LOL

                                          I'll tell my wife to increase my life insurance policy. LOL