First HH rain test

  • Keith
    Message 1 of 24 , Jul 28, 2006
      It started thunderstorming tonight, so I thought...what better time to
      hang my hammock? lol

      I threw it up in my yard, got in, and enjoyed the storm. I read for a
      while, but quickly fell asleep...MAN that thing is comfortable...

      I stayed dry as a bone, by the way. I'm upsizing my tarp soon; I just
      don't feel comfortable with the stock fly. But it's still nice to
      know that the stock system does work.

      One problem - I slept for about two hours. When I woke up and started
      moving around, I had shin splints in my right ankle like you wouldn't
      believe. I think what happened is that, with the way I was laying, I
      only had support under my knee and foot, leaving my ankle bent the
      whole time.

      Anybody else had this problem? Solutions? Obviously, I could stuff
      something under my shin to help support my ankle, but I can't help but
      thinking there's some different way of laying that would solve the
      problem without having to use extra gear.

      Thanks!
    • Scott Macri
      Message 2 of 24 , Jul 29, 2006
        The only time I have heard of this happening is if the hammock is too small
        for the person sleeping in it.
        --
        Scott A. Macri
        www.HikeHaven.com

        On 7/29/06, Keith <pulse_0ptional@...> wrote:

        > It started thunderstorming tonight, so I thought...what better time to
        > hang my hammock? lol
        >
        > I threw it up in my yard, got in, and enjoyed the storm. I read for a
        > while, but quickly fell asleep...MAN that thing is comfortable...
        >
        > I stayed dry as a bone, by the way. I'm upsizing my tarp soon; I just
        > don't feel comfortable with the stock fly. But it's still nice to
        > know that the stock system does work.
        >
        > One problem - I slept for about two hours. When I woke up and started
        > moving around, I had shin splints in my right ankle like you wouldn't
        > believe. I think what happened is that, with the way I was laying, I
        > only had support under my knee and foot, leaving my ankle bent the
        > whole time.
        >
        > Anybody else had this problem? Solutions? Obviously, I could stuff
        > something under my shin to help support my ankle, but I can't help but
        > thinking there's some different way of laying that would solve the
        > problem without having to use extra gear.
        >
        > Thanks!

      • Keith
        Message 3 of 24 , Jul 29, 2006
          Scott - Yeah I'd thought of that too...I AM right at the 6' listed
          height limit on my ULB. But when I'm in there, I FEEL like I've got a
          HUGE amount of room...much roomier than any b$%y or 1-person t&*t I've
          used. Is that the proper amount of censorship, btw? lol

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Scott Macri" <hacktorious@...>
          wrote:

          > The only time I have heard of this happening is if the hammock is
          too small
          > for the person sleeping in it.
          > --
          > Scott A. Macri
          > www.HikeHaven.com
          > http://360.yahoo.com/hacktorious
          > Trail Name: Mowgli
          >
          > On 7/29/06, Keith <pulse_0ptional@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > It started thunderstorming tonight, so I thought...what better
          time to
          > > hang my hammock? lol
          > >
          > > I threw it up in my yard, got in, and enjoyed the storm. I read for a
          > > while, but quickly fell asleep...MAN that thing is comfortable...
          > >
          > > I stayed dry as a bone, by the way. I'm upsizing my tarp soon; I just
          > > don't feel comfortable with the stock fly. But it's still nice to
          > > know that the stock system does work.
          > >
          > > One problem - I slept for about two hours. When I woke up and started
          > > moving around, I had shin splints in my right ankle like you wouldn't
          > > believe. I think what happened is that, with the way I was laying, I
          > > only had support under my knee and foot, leaving my ankle bent the
          > > whole time.
          > >
          > > Anybody else had this problem? Solutions? Obviously, I could stuff
          > > something under my shin to help support my ankle, but I can't help but
          > > thinking there's some different way of laying that would solve the
          > > problem without having to use extra gear.
          > >
          > > Thanks!

        • Keith
          Message 4 of 24 , Jul 29, 2006
            Update - I checked the HH again this morning, and it was still dry as
            a bone. I adjusted the suspension and the tarp last night when I came
            inside, and neither one sagged any more overnight. I didn't sleep in
            it all night, but I WAS in it during the worst of the rain, and I
            didn't get wet at all.

            Took some more pix this morning too. They're in the 'blackbishop's
            photos' folder. I'm hoping to hit the trail for a couple days this
            week, so I should finally have some 'real' pix soon!
          • Scott Macri
            Message 5 of 24 , Jul 30, 2006
              I went on a 7 mile over night hike yesterday/today to test out my new HH. I
              just got home.

              I setup the hammock high above the ground, sat on it so it stretched a bit,
              then readjusted. When I woke up this morning it had about 15" of
              additional sag. It was pretty uncomfortable too. Hopefully that is all the
              stretching that thing will do.

              Unfortunately I didn't get much sleep last night. It was my first overnight
              solo trip. There was some weird howling going on. It almost sounded like
              some sort of loon, but there wasn't much water other than a tiny stream. The
              other odd thing is that it was in the middle of the night, not during the
              day. Hmmm, maybe I heard bigfoot. LOL

              I have got to rig up a better way to mount and adjust my hammock. It is
              difficult to mess with in the dark when your half asleep. Maybe I will try
              the rings again, or a buckle. If I had a sewing machine right now I would
              sew hems every 1/4" on two straps so I could try the biner idea.

              Well, I'm smelling pretty ripe, I better go take a shower. LOL

              OH, by the way; it started pouring the second I got to my camping spot. The
              hammock was pretty easy to setup in the rain without getting everything
              wet. It rained for a couple hours. The hammock I had last night has a
              small asym tarp. I like the one's that are 30% larger. Maybe even a big
              square one will do. I didn't get wet, but if it would have continued
              raining after the hammock started sagging, I probably would have. My feet
              were way above my head too.

              Message 6 of 24 , Jul 30, 2006
                Scott,

                Hanging it higher to start with and less taut might make it so you
                don't have to readjust it. Did the ridgeline holding up the bugnet
                stay taut all night?

                Dave

                <hacktorious@...> wrote:

> [...]
                >
                > On 7/29/06, Keith <pulse_0ptional@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > Update - I checked the HH again this morning, and it was still
                dry as
                > > a bone. I adjusted the suspension and the tarp last night when I
                came
                > > inside, and neither one sagged any more overnight. I didn't
                sleep in
                > > it all night, but I WAS in it during the worst of the rain, and I
                > > didn't get wet at all.
                > >
                > > Took some more pix this morning too. They're in
                the 'blackbishop's
                > > photos' folder. I'm hoping to hit the trail for a couple days
                this
                > > week, so I should finally have some 'real' pix soon!
                > >
                > > Messages in this topic

                MTM2YzJuNHRrBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzg5Njk4MDQEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNjAwMDY1O
                DQzBG1zZ0lkAzE0ODk1BHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA3Z0cGMEc3RpbWUDMTE1NDE4ODY4MgR0cG

                3E2BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzg5Njk4MDQEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNjAwMDY1ODQzBG1zZ0
                lkAzE0ODk1BHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA3JwbHkEc3RpbWUDMTE1NDE4ODY4Mg--?
                act=reply&messageNum=14895>| Start

                Message 7 of 24 , Jul 30, 2006
                  Scott - Sorry to hear about your sagging problems. I got lucky on my
                  HH, I think, since I bought it slightly used. The guy I got it from
                  slept in it a few nights and decided he didn't like it....can't
                  imagine why? But anyway, he probably got most of the stretch out
                  before even putting it up for sale.

                  That's not to say mine hasn't stretched. It definitely has. But only
                  minimally; certainly not as much as you're experiencing. One thing I
                  did do on my first trip with the HH was to use it as a lounger for a
                  couple of hours in the early evening. When it sagged, I was still
                  awake, so I just tightened it back up.

                  Something you might try is setting it up at home, using as much of the
                  support rope as you can. I've noticed that most of the sag I've
                  gotten seemed to come from the ropes. Meaning, I'd set it up, get the
                  sag out, and it'd be fine. Next time I set up, if the trees were
                  farther apart, it'd sag again. So maybe find trees around the house
                  that'd let you use almost ALL of the rope, then lay in it for a few
                  hours. See if that helps.

                  I'm right there with you on the tarp. While (as I posted) I didn't
                  get wet during my first rain test, I still don't feel comfortable with
                  the stock HH fly (I have the smaller one). Plus, I just added a gear
                  hammock, which means there's even more stuff under the tarp to
                  possibly get wet. So. I ordered a Sportsman's Guide 9x9 camo tarp
                  yesterday. It's really heavy (1.5 #), and I probably won't use it
                  forever, but it's also really cheap - about $40. And I figure if I
                  like the design, I can always use it as a template to make a cat-cut
                  silnylon tarp later, which should save some weight.

                  As far as hearing things, I love that! :P I've always been much more
                  at ease with the sounds of the outdoors (animals included) than with
                  the sounds of a city. Plus, I've been using t#$ps for the last
                  several years, with NOTHING between me and the unknown. In
                  comparison, the HH feels like Fort Knox! lol

                  wrote:

                  > I went on a 7 mile over night hike yesterday/today to test out my
                  new HH. I
                  > just got home.
                  >
                  > I setup the hammock high above the ground, sat on it so it stretched
                  a bit,
                  > then readjusted. When I woke up this morning it had about 15" of
                  > additional sag. It was pretty uncomfortable too. Hopefully that is
                  all the
                  > stretching that thing will do.
                  >
                  > Unfortunately I didn't get much sleep last night. It was my first
                  overnight
                  > solo trip. There was some weird howling going on. It almost
                  sounded like
                  > some sort of loon, but there wasn't much water other than a tiny
                  stream. The
                  > other odd thing is that it was in the middle of the night, not
                  during the
                  > day. Hmmm, maybe I heard bigfoot. LOL
                  >
                  > I have got to rig up a better way to mount and adjust my hammock. It is
                  > difficult to mess with in the dark when your half asleep. Maybe I
                  will try
                  > the rings again, or a buckle. If I had a sewing machine right now I
                  would
                  > sew hems every 1/4" on two straps so I could try the biner idea.
                  >
                  > Well, I'm smelling pretty ripe, I better go take a shower. LOL
                  >
                  > OH, by the way; it started pouring the second I got to my camping
                  spot. The
                  > hammock was pretty easy to setup in the rain without getting everything
                  > wet. It rained for a couple hours. The hammock I had last night has a
                  > small asym tarp. I like the one's that are 30% larger. Maybe even
                  a big
                  > square one will do. I didn't get wet, but if it would have continued
                  > raining after the hammock started sagging, I probably would have.
                  My feet
                  > were way above my head too.
                  >
                  > --
                  > Scott A. Macri
                  > www.HikeHaven.com
                  > http://360.yahoo.com/hacktorious
                  > Trail Name: Mowgli
                  >
                  > On 7/29/06, Keith <pulse_0ptional@...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Update - I checked the HH again this morning, and it was still
                  dry as
                  > > a bone. I adjusted the suspension and the tarp last night when I came
                  > > inside, and neither one sagged any more overnight. I didn't sleep in
                  > > it all night, but I WAS in it during the worst of the rain, and I
                  > > didn't get wet at all.
                  > >
                  > > Took some more pix this morning too. They're in the 'blackbishop's
                  > > photos' folder. I'm hoping to hit the trail for a couple days this
                  > > week, so I should finally have some 'real' pix soon!
                  > >
                  > > Messages in this topic

                  > > 4) Reply (via web post)

                  Start
                  > > a new topic

                • Scot Leibacher
                  Message 8 of 24 , Jul 30, 2006
                    Scott,

                    Around these parts (central Indiana), wild turkeys have been
                    re-introduced and their population has really rocketed. These things
                    make some really strange noises when in heat, or rutting or whatever
                    you call it when turkeys want some lovin'. I've camped in Indiana, Illinois,
                    and Ohio for over 40 years but its just been in the past 3 or 4 that I
                    have had to get used to these weird and somewhat haunting noises
                    at night. Anything from a loon like moan to choking noises like something
                    neing strangled.

                    Earlier this spring, my son and I used our Hennessey's on a
                    night when about 4 or 5 barred owls where having a career night.
                    From about 1:30 am until around 3 they were having what
                    sounded like a domestic altercation that echoed due to low cloud
                    cover. My son and I even joined in with the hopes it would quiet
                    them down but I think it just encouraged them.

                    I went on a 7 mile over night hike yesterday/today to test out my new HH. I
                    just got home.

                    I setup the hammock high above the ground, sat on it so it stretched a bit,
                    then readjusted. When I woke up this morning it had about 15" of
                    additional sag. It was pretty uncomfortable too. Hopefully that is all the
                    stretching that thing will do.

                    Unfortunately I didn't get much sleep last night. It was my first overnight
                    solo trip. There was some weird howling going on. It almost sounded like
                    some sort of loon, but there wasn't much water other than a tiny stream. The
                    other odd thing is that it was in the middle of the night, not during the
                    day. Hmmm, maybe I heard bigfoot. LOL

                    I have got to rig up a better way to mount and adjust my hammock. It is
                    difficult to mess with in the dark when your half asleep. Maybe I will try
                    the rings again, or a buckle. If I had a sewing machine right now I would
                    sew hems every 1/4" on two straps so I could try the biner idea.

                    Well, I'm smelling pretty ripe, I better go take a shower. LOL

                    OH, by the way; it started pouring the second I got to my camping spot. The
                    hammock was pretty easy to setup in the rain without getting everything
                    wet. It rained for a couple hours. The hammock I had last night has a
                    small asym tarp. I like the one's that are 30% larger. Maybe even a big
                    square one will do. I didn't get wet, but if it would have continued
                    raining after the hammock started sagging, I probably would have. My feet
                    were way above my head too.

                    --
                    Scott A. Macri
                    www.HikeHaven.com
                    http://360.yahoo.com/hacktorious
                    Trail Name: Mowgli

                    On 7/29/06, Keith <pulse_0ptional@...> wrote:

                    > Update - I checked the HH again this morning, and it was still dry as
                    > a bone. I adjusted the suspension and the tarp last night when I came
                    > inside, and neither one sagged any more overnight. I didn't sleep in
                    > it all night, but I WAS in it during the worst of the rain, and I
                    > didn't get wet at all.
                    >
                    > Took some more pix this morning too. They're in the 'blackbishop's
                    > photos' folder. I'm hoping to hit the trail for a couple days this
                    > week, so I should finally have some 'real' pix soon!
                    >
                    > Messages in this topic
                    > <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/hammockcamping/message/14888;_ylc=X3oDMTM2YzJuNHRrBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzg5Njk4MDQEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNjAwMDY1ODQzBG1zZ0lkAzE0ODk1BHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA3Z0cGMEc3RpbWUDMTE1NDE4ODY4MgR0cGNJZAMxNDg4OA-->(
                    > 4) Reply (via web post)
                    > a new topic
                    > <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/hammockcamping/post;_ylc=X3oDMTJlNWlsMHQ1BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzg5Njk4MDQEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNjAwMDY1ODQzBHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA250cGMEc3RpbWUDMTE1NDE4ODY4Mg-->

                  • Bill in Houston
                    Message 9 of 24 , Jul 30, 2006
                      If you want to get the stretch out more quickly, what should you
                      do? C'mon, engineer... :-) Hang it a little tighter, putting more
                      stress on the support ropes. Put extra weight in the hammock. You
                      weigh like 140, right? Get in the hammock with a big bag of rice or
                      dog food or water. Put an extra 40-80 lbs in there with you. Or
                      load it up and leave it overnight. Dave was getting at something
                      when he brought up whether or not the ridgeline was tight after the
                      overnight sagging, so make sure you answer him.

                      You are a smart guy. You'll get it all ironed out in no time, and
                      these growing (sagging) pains will be a thing of the past. :-)

                      You'll get used to the soloing thing too. I find that the daytime
                      is much quieter than the night, which can be a little disturbing.

                      Bill in Houston

                      Message 10 of 24 , Jul 30, 2006
                        No, the bug net was sagging too, but the ridgline was taut.
                        --

                        On 7/30/06, Dave Womble <dpwomble@...> wrote:

                        > Scott,
                        >
                        > Hanging it higher to start with and less taut might make it so you
                        > don't have to readjust it. Did the ridgeline holding up the bugnet
                        > stay taut all night?
                        >
                        > Dave

                      • Jeff
                        Message 11 of 24 , Jul 30, 2006
                          wrote:

                          > I have got to rig up a better way to mount and adjust my hammock.
                          It is
                          > difficult to mess with in the dark when your half asleep.

                          Give it another 5-10 nights and I bet you can do it blindfolded. Then
                          decide if it's worth the effort of finding a new system - maybe, maybe
                          not...just depends on what you want. But after some experience and
                          breaking in the hammock, you'll need fewer adjustments and you'll know
                          how to do it more quickly. Your best gear is in your head.

                          Jeff
                          Message 12 of 24 , Jul 31, 2006
                            Scott... I think I am misunderstanding something when you say the
                            bugnet was sagging but the ridgeline was taut. The ridgeline is the
                            small rope underneath the bugnet and if it is taut the bugnet should
                            not have been sagging, at least from above.

                            I asked originally about the ridgeline being taut in reference to
                            your comment about not being comfortable in your hammock when you
                            where talking about the additional sag you were getting over night
                            as something(s) in your hammock setup slowly stretched. What I was
                            trying to determine was if you were getting enough sag to reshape
                            the lay of your hammock, figuring the tautness of the ridgeline
                            would tell me that. The ridgeline in the HH is integral to the
                            design of the hammock and is what I call a structural ridgeline. As
                            long as the suspension lines are at an angle, referenced to the
                            horizon, less than the sag designed into the hammock (about 30
                            degrees), then the ridgeline sets the sag of the hammock. If the
                            suspension lines exceed that 30 or so degree angle then the
                            ridgeline will become slack and the angle of the suspension lines
                            determine the sag of the hammock. If the ridgeline stayed taut then
                            all of this isn't an issue but if it did not stay taut that might
                            shed some light as to why you were uncomfortable.

                            I hope this isn't confusing, the ridgeline should be taut when
                            you are in the hammock and it doesn't matter that it is not taut
                            when you are not in the hammock. The hammock suspension lines are
                            the lines (rope or webbing) that attach the hammock to the trees and
                            they will always be taut when you are in the hammock. Some folks
                            adjust their HHs such that the hammock suspension lines are very
                            taut before they get into the hammock, I don't recommend that. I
                            recommend tying them higher up on the trees and tying them off
                            such that the hammock suspension lines are not quite taut before you
                            get into the hammock. There is less stress on everything that way
                            and therefore less stretch to deal with as well. How high you want
                            to tie off the suspension lines is dependent on the particular
                            hammock model, the size of the occupant and the seperation between
                            the trees. Obviously, you want to tie the suspension lines off
                            higher as the seperation between the trees increases.

                            I figure you already know this but I will throw it out there just to
                            be sure since you mentioned you weren't comfortable in your hammock.
                            First, the HH is designed for you to lay on a diagonal to the center
                            line of the hammock. Second, most folks are more comfortable when
                            the foot end of the hammock is slightly raised because if you don't
                            raise the foot end you will typically slide towards the foot end of
                            the hammock. What you are trying to do is make an adjustment to
                            compensate for the fact that most of us have more weight in our
                            upper bodies and a hammock tries to put your center of gravity at
                            the lowest point in the hammock. Third, if the suspension lines on
                            each end of the hammock are not tied off with equal lengths, the end
                            of the hammock with the longer length of suspension line will drop
                            more but only when you are in the hammock. This situation can be
                            frustrating to deal with because you don't see it directly when you
                            are setting up your hammock and is best avoided, especially for
                            beginners by being somewhat careful about how much suspension line
                            you tie off with on both ends of the hammock.

                            Dave

                            <hacktorious@...> wrote:

                            > No, the bug net was sagging too, but the ridgline was taut.
                            > --
                            > Scott A. Macri
                            > www.HikeHaven.com
                            > http://360.yahoo.com/hacktorious
                            > Trail Name: Mowgli
                            >
                            > On 7/30/06, Dave Womble <dpwomble@...> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > Scott,
                            > >
                            > > Hanging it higher to start with and less taut might make it so
                            you
                            > > don't have to readjust it. Did the ridgeline holding up the
                            bugnet
                            > > stay taut all night?
                            > >
                            > > Dave

                          • Scott Macri
                            Message 13 of 24 , Jul 31, 2006
                              Hmmm, maybe I made the suspension lines too tight. I made them as tight as
                              possible before getting in. I will experiment in the back yard.

                              --

                              On 7/31/06, Dave Womble <dpwomble@...> wrote:

> [...]
                              > frustrating to deal with because you don't see it directly when you
                              > are setting up your hammock and is best avoided, especially for
                              > beginners by being somewhat careful about how much suspension line
                              > you tie off with on both ends of the hammock.
                              >
                              > Dave

                              > "Scott Macri"
                              > <hacktorious@...> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > No, the bug net was sagging too, but the ridgline was taut.
                              > > --
                              > > Scott A. Macri
                              > > www.HikeHaven.com
                              > > http://360.yahoo.com/hacktorious
                              > > Trail Name: Mowgli
                              > >
                              > > On 7/30/06, Dave Womble <dpwomble@...> wrote:
                              > > >
                              > > > Scott,
                              > > >
                              > > > Hanging it higher to start with and less taut might make it so
                              > you
                              > > > don't have to readjust it. Did the ridgeline holding up the

                            • Scott Macri
                              Message 14 of 24 , Jul 31, 2006
                                Your probably right. I will just practice with the knots instead of
                                creating a new setup.

                                By the way, the taut line hitch doesn't work very well. It gets too tight
                                too loosen after you sleep in the hammock. OH well, I will stick with the
                                figure 8's for now and see how it goes.

                                --

                                On 7/31/06, Jeff <jwj32542@...> wrote:

                                > "Scott Macri" <hacktorious@...>
                                > wrote:
                                > >
                                > > I have got to rig up a better way to mount and adjust my hammock.
                                > It is
                                > > difficult to mess with in the dark when your half asleep.
                                >
                                > Give it another 5-10 nights and I bet you can do it blindfolded. Then
                                > decide if it's worth the effort of finding a new system - maybe, maybe
                                > not...just depends on what you want. But after some experience and
                                > breaking in the hammock, you'll need fewer adjustments and you'll know
                                > how to do it more quickly. Your best gear is in your head.
                                >
                                > Jeff

                              • Bill in Houston
                                Message 15 of 24 , Jul 31, 2006
                                  On the tautline you can add extra wraps to increase friction, and
                                  always finish it "slipped" so that it is easy to untie. If you don't
                                  slip it then, ya, it would be a pain to undo.

                                  Bill in Houston

                                  Message 16 of 24 , Jul 31, 2006
                                    Ya, that would tend to make the support lines and ridgeline stretch
                                    more. Which is usually not a problem if you expect it. The one
                                    thing that can be bad is that it puts an insane amount of force on
                                    the ridgeline, and people have snapped their ridgelines before.

                                    Anyway, it's a learning process, and you are figuring things out
                                    pretty quickly.

                                    Bill in Houston

                                    <hacktorious@...> wrote:

                                    > Hmmm, maybe I made the suspension lines too tight. I made them as
                                    tight as
                                    > possible before getting in. I will experiment in the back yard.
                                    >
                                    > --
                                    > Scott A. Macri
                                    > www.HikeHaven.com
                                    > http://360.yahoo.com/hacktorious
                                    > Trail Name: Mowgli

                                  • Scott
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Jul 31, 2006
                                      I checked my HH bugnet today. The ridge line is taut and the bug net
                                      does sag. It looks almost as if they put too much material on it when
                                      it was made. However, if I tie the sides of the hammock out and make
                                      them horizonal, this stretches the bug net enough. Also, the ends of
                                      the hammock look like they were twisted before the knots were tied in
                                      the ropes. This seems to cause some issues when laying in the
                                      hammock. I don't recall this on the previous HH I returned due to
                                      dmaged seems.

> [...]
                                      > the foot end of the hammock is slightly raised because if you don't
                                      > raise the foot end you will typically slide towards the foot end of
                                      > the hammock. What you are trying to do is make an adjustment to
                                      > compensate for the fact that most of us have more weight in our
                                      > upper bodies and a hammock tries to put your center of gravity at
                                      > the lowest point in the hammock. Third, if the suspension lines on
                                      > each end of the hammock are not tied off with equal lengths, the end
                                      > of the hammock with the longer length of suspension line will drop
                                      > more but only when you are in the hammock. This situation can be
                                      > frustrating to deal with because you don't see it directly when you
                                      > are setting up your hammock and is best avoided, especially for
                                      > beginners by being somewhat careful about how much suspension line
                                      > you tie off with on both ends of the hammock.

                                    • Coy
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Aug 1, 2006
                                        Scott, how much material are we talking about here. A little loose
                                        is normal. a lot loose is not. i ask because i had a HH with too
                                        much material in the bed part as well as the net. I had to hang it
                                        really high to keep it off the ground until I lenghtened the
                                        interior ridge line about a foot. Then I needed a new fly to cover
                                        it. But now I have a HH that is very comfortable (probably due to
                                        the extra lenght).

                                        Coy Boy

                                        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Scott" <hacktorious@...>
                                        wrote:

> [...]
                                        > > compensate for the fact that most of us have more weight in our
                                        > > upper bodies and a hammock tries to put your center of gravity
                                        at
                                        > > the lowest point in the hammock. Third, if the suspension lines
                                        on
                                        > > each end of the hammock are not tied off with equal lengths, the
                                        end
                                        > > of the hammock with the longer length of suspension line will
                                        drop
                                        > > more but only when you are in the hammock. This situation can
                                        be
                                        > > frustrating to deal with because you don't see it directly when
                                        you
                                        > > are setting up your hammock and is best avoided, especially for
                                        > > beginners by being somewhat careful about how much suspension
                                        line
                                        > > you tie off with on both ends of the hammock.

                                      • Scott Macri
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Aug 1, 2006
                                          It seems fine now. It was bein caused from the way I was setting it up.
                                          --
                                          Scott A. Macri
                                          Trail Name: Mowgli

                                          On 8/1/06, Coy <starnescr@...> wrote:

                                          > Scott, how much material are we talking about here. A little loose
                                          > is normal. a lot loose is not. i ask because i had a HH with too
                                          > much material in the bed part as well as the net. I had to hang it
                                          > really high to keep it off the ground until I lenghtened the
                                          > interior ridge line about a foot. Then I needed a new fly to cover
                                          > it. But now I have a HH that is very comfortable (probably due to
                                          > the extra lenght).
                                          >
                                          > Coy Boy

                                        • Coy
                                          Message 20 of 24 , Aug 1, 2006
                                            good. I am still mistified by how the netting was loose with the ridge line tight but leave it
                                            to a newbie to figure out how (LOL). seriously, I think now that you have solved the tree
                                            sliding you will quickly find the ideal tautness. Like Dave mentiond, the HH needs tight
                                            but dont over do it. I ususlly set mine up pretty tight and it sags some when i get in. i
                                            used to get out and retighten but i just leave it now. I might retighten it for a photo
                                            opp....some folks is vain that way.

                                            Coy Boy

                                            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Scott Macri" <hacktorious@...> wrote:

                                            > It seems fine now. It was bein caused from the way I was setting it up.
                                            > --
                                            > Scott A. Macri
                                            > Trail Name: Mowgli
                                            > www.HikeHaven.com
                                            > http://360.yahoo.com/hacktorious
                                            >
                                            > On 8/1/06, Coy <starnescr@...> wrote:
                                            > >
                                            > > Scott, how much material are we talking about here. A little loose
                                            > > is normal. a lot loose is not. i ask because i had a HH with too
                                            > > much material in the bed part as well as the net. I had to hang it
                                            > > really high to keep it off the ground until I lenghtened the
                                            > > interior ridge line about a foot. Then I needed a new fly to cover
                                            > > it. But now I have a HH that is very comfortable (probably due to
                                            > > the extra lenght).
                                            > >
                                            > > Coy Boy

                                          • Coy
                                            Message 21 of 24 , Aug 1, 2006
                                              After I hit send I though, if you dind't readjust the side tieouts after the top ridge line slid
                                              down the tree a little ways, that's probably why the bug netting was loose.

                                              Coy Boy

                                              > good. I am still mistified by how the netting was loose with the ridge line tight but leave
                                              it
                                              > to a newbie to figure out how (LOL). seriously, I think now that you have solved the tree
                                              > sliding you will quickly find the ideal tautness. Like Dave mentiond, the HH needs tight
                                              > but dont over do it. I ususlly set mine up pretty tight and it sags some when i get in. i
                                              > used to get out and retighten but i just leave it now. I might retighten it for a photo
                                              > opp....some folks is vain that way.
                                              >
                                              > Coy Boy
                                              >
                                              > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Scott Macri" <hacktorious@> wrote:
                                              > >
                                              > > It seems fine now. It was bein caused from the way I was setting it up.
                                              > > --
                                              > > Scott A. Macri
                                              > > Trail Name: Mowgli
                                              > > www.HikeHaven.com
                                              > > http://360.yahoo.com/hacktorious
                                              > >
                                              > > On 8/1/06, Coy <starnescr@> wrote:
                                              > > >
                                              > > > Scott, how much material are we talking about here. A little loose
                                              > > > is normal. a lot loose is not. i ask because i had a HH with too
                                              > > > much material in the bed part as well as the net. I had to hang it
                                              > > > really high to keep it off the ground until I lenghtened the
                                              > > > interior ridge line about a foot. Then I needed a new fly to cover
                                              > > > it. But now I have a HH that is very comfortable (probably due to
                                              > > > the extra lenght).
                                              > > >
                                              > > > Coy Boy

                                            • Scott Macri
                                              Message 22 of 24 , Aug 1, 2006
                                                It really makes life easier to adjust the hammock. All I have to do is
                                                slide the loop up or down the tree. I can set it up high for sleeping, and
                                                down low to cook, or whatever.

                                                --

                                                On 8/1/06, Coy <starnescr@...> wrote:

                                                > good. I am still mistified by how the netting was loose with the ridge
                                                > line tight but leave it
                                                > to a newbie to figure out how (LOL). seriously, I think now that you have
                                                > solved the tree
                                                > sliding you will quickly find the ideal tautness. Like Dave mentiond, the
                                                > HH needs tight
                                                > but dont over do it. I ususlly set mine up pretty tight and it sags some
                                                > when i get in. i
                                                > used to get out and retighten but i just leave it now. I might retighten
                                                > it for a photo
                                                > opp....some folks is vain that way.
                                                >
                                                > Coy Boy

                                              • Coy
                                                Message 23 of 24 , Aug 1, 2006
                                                  ah, now were talking about something completely different. adjusting the hammock up or
                                                  down has nothing to do with the tighness...unless one tree is leaning in or out....

                                                  Coy Boy

                                                  Coy boy

                                                  --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Scott Macri" <hacktorious@...> wrote:

                                                  > It really makes life easier to adjust the hammock. All I have to do is
                                                  > slide the loop up or down the tree. I can set it up high for sleeping, and
                                                  > down low to cook, or whatever.
                                                  >
                                                  > --
                                                  > Scott A. Macri
                                                  > Trail Name: Mowgli
                                                  > www.HikeHaven.com
                                                  > http://360.yahoo.com/hacktorious
                                                  >
                                                  > On 8/1/06, Coy <starnescr@...> wrote:
                                                  > >
                                                  > > good. I am still mistified by how the netting was loose with the ridge
                                                  > > line tight but leave it
                                                  > > to a newbie to figure out how (LOL). seriously, I think now that you have
                                                  > > solved the tree
                                                  > > sliding you will quickly find the ideal tautness. Like Dave mentiond, the
                                                  > > HH needs tight
                                                  > > but dont over do it. I ususlly set mine up pretty tight and it sags some
                                                  > > when i get in. i
                                                  > > used to get out and retighten but i just leave it now. I might retighten
                                                  > > it for a photo
                                                  > > opp....some folks is vain that way.
                                                  > >
                                                  > > Coy Boy

                                                • Scott Macri
                                                  Message 24 of 24 , Aug 1, 2006
                                                    Hmmm, really? I will have to mess with my hammock again tomorrow.