Sleeping with a fibular fracture

    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 28, 2006
      This is a technical note for our archive in case it happens to someone
      else in the future.

      As I reported earlier, I fractured my left fibula 23 days ago while
      hiking the AT in Maine.
      http://risks-hiking.blogspot.com/

      I have continued to improve steadily and have been walking on my leg
      fairly well for a week now. It is not up to full strength yet, but the
      swelling is down and I no longer need a splint or a walking stick.

      In preparation for some car camping I am planning for early next week
      (Balsam Mountain in the Smokies) I checked to make sure that I can use
      my hammock. Unfortunately, I can't do that yet.

      In all of the 5 or six comfortable positions I usually use in a hammock
      to sleep, I have found that my foot is pushed one way or the other. And
      pushing my foot in a twisting motion and then keeping it in that
      position still hurts. I can partly overcome those problems by using a
      bag of clothes as a small pillow to lift the foot so that it neither is
      twisted, bent, or dangled, but it is a bit complicated to set that up,
      and staying in one position for long with my leg in its present state of
      healing causes me cramps...

      So I am reduced, for the car camping episode this coming week, to sleep
      flat on the not so flat surface of the earth. I can't believe it is
      happening to me. Pray for my sanity. Maybe I will still dream of
      swinging free of the roots and stones of the ground.

      I hope that in a week or two the bones will be knit together well enough
      to allow me to sleep in the hammock once again.

      Risk
      Ground Sleeper (Prov)
    • RevT
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 28, 2006
        Glad you are doing better. Get a cot.

        Brian

        > So I am reduced, for the car camping episode this coming week, to sleep
        > flat on the not so flat surface of the earth. I can't believe it is
        > happening to me. Pray for my sanity. Maybe I will still dream of
        > swinging free of the roots and stones of the ground.
      • Bill in Houston
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 28, 2006
          If you could put a kids' swimming floatie around your ankle, would that
          allow you to sleep and also shift positions more easily? It would stay
          attached to your ankle and not get lost somewhere under the covers, and
          it would provide support on both sides. Just wondering.

          Bill in Houston

          In all of the 5 or six comfortable positions I usually use in a
          hammock
          > to sleep, I have found that my foot is pushed one way or the other.
          > bag of clothes as a small pillow to lift the foot so that it neither
          is
          > twisted, bent, or dangled, but it is a bit complicated to set that
          up,
        • Bill Fornshell
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 28, 2006
            Rick, Have you thought about a "spreader bar" style
            hammock. I have made two of these and one might work
            for you. It would get you off that nasty old ground.

            Glad to hear your recovery is going quick.

            Bill in Texas

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • Scott Macri
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 28, 2006
              Have you thought of a way to hang your foot from the ridgeline of the
              hammock netting, or the tarp? maybe you could hang it like they do in
              hospital beds when people are in
              traction<http://www.fotosearch.com/comp/LIF/LIF139/NU114003.jpg>or
              something. Might not work, but it is just a thought. This would
              prevent
              you from turning on your side though.

              --
              Scott A. Macri
              www.HikeHaven.com

              On 7/28/06, Rick <ra1@...> wrote:

              > This is a technical note for our archive in case it happens to someone
              > else in the future.
              >
              > As I reported earlier, I fractured my left fibula 23 days ago while
              > hiking the AT in Maine.
              > http://risks-hiking.blogspot.com/
              >
              > I have continued to improve steadily and have been walking on my leg
              > fairly well for a week now. It is not up to full strength yet, but the
              > swelling is down and I no longer need a splint or a walking stick.
              >
              > In preparation for some car camping I am planning for early next week
              > (Balsam Mountain in the Smokies) I checked to make sure that I can use
              > my hammock. Unfortunately, I can't do that yet.
              >
              > In all of the 5 or six comfortable positions I usually use in a hammock
              > to sleep, I have found that my foot is pushed one way or the other. And
              > pushing my foot in a twisting motion and then keeping it in that
              > position still hurts. I can partly overcome those problems by using a
              > bag of clothes as a small pillow to lift the foot so that it neither is
              > twisted, bent, or dangled, but it is a bit complicated to set that up,
              > and staying in one position for long with my leg in its present state of
              > healing causes me cramps...
              >
              > So I am reduced, for the car camping episode this coming week, to sleep
              > flat on the not so flat surface of the earth. I can't believe it is
              > happening to me. Pray for my sanity. Maybe I will still dream of
              > swinging free of the roots and stones of the ground.
              >
              > I hope that in a week or two the bones will be knit together well enough
              > to allow me to sleep in the hammock once again.
              >
              > Risk
              > Ground Sleeper (Prov)
              >
              > _

            • Shane Steinkamp
              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 28, 2006
                > I hope that in a week or two the bones will be knit together well enough
                > to allow me to sleep in the hammock once again.

                Have you tried wrapping the ankle heavily in an ace bandage? How about one
                of those plastic things they use for drop foot?

                Shane
                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 28, 2006
                  Bill Fornshell wrote:
                  > Rick, Have you thought about a "spreader bar" style
                  > hammock. I have made two of these and one might work
                  > for you. It would get you off that nasty old ground.
                  >

                  > Glad to hear your recovery is going quick.
                  >
                  > Bill in Texas

                  Have you posted how you made them, or pictures?

                  I have some old hammocks which I maybe could convert.

                  Message 8 of 10 , Jul 28, 2006
                    Shane Steinkamp wrote:
                    >>I hope that in a week or two the bones will be knit together well enough
                    >>to allow me to sleep in the hammock once again.
                    >

                    > Have you tried wrapping the ankle heavily in an ace bandage? How about one
                    > of those plastic things they use for drop foot?

                    Most of the pain seems to be from anything that causes the foot to be
                    held in inversion or
                    external rotation. It does not hurt right away, but if held in that
                    position, even gently, it begins to hurt more and more.

                    Lying on my left side, I can sleep if I tuck my right foot under my left
                    foot so that the foot does not invert, but if I move at all, it wakes
                    me. Lying on my right side is pretty good except that the ball of my
                    great toe is against the hammock and the smaller toes are not supported,
                    so the foot seems to want to invert unless my right foot is just the
                    right place.

                    Lying on my back, I have a choice of extending my left or right leg with
                    the other foot tucked in a pointed way along the other leg. With my
                    left leg extended, the lower leg feels OK, but the left knee starts to
                    hurt (did I mention that it is damaged too?) With my right leg extended
                    the left foot needs to be pointed along the right leg and as my knee
                    falls outward, it twists my lower leg.

                    I tried putting my air splint on last night, but it was bulky. I have
                    not tried the ace wrap since the swelling went away about 10 days ago.

                    Bill's suggestion of a spreader hammock is interesting. It may give me
                    a few more options.

                    Rick
                  • Bill Fornshell
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jul 28, 2006
                      Rick, Take a look here:
                      http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/xdpy/forum_thread/3030/index.html

                      The pictures of the silk hammock toward the end of the
                      thread shows more detail than the blue one. Take a
                      look and if you have questions - ask away.

                      Bill in Texas

                      Message 10 of 10 , Jul 28, 2006
                        Hey, that is cool, thanks for postng that. I may make one.

                        Brian from Texas...

                        On 7/28/06, Bill Fornshell <bfornshell@...> wrote:

                        > Rick, Take a look here:
                        >
                        > http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/xdpy/forum_thread/3030/index.html
                        >
                        > The pictures of the silk hammock toward the end of the
                        > thread shows more detail than the blue one. Take a
                        > look and if you have questions - ask away.
                        >
                        > Bill in Texas

                        ud