Re: double ring system

  • lsramos13
    Message 1 of 121 , Jul 24, 2006
      Curt,

      I have been using the double-ring system for a while now after reading
      about the idea in this forum
      (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/hammockcamping/message/8662 and see
      Bear's photos:
      My setup differs just a little from the original description, but the
      concept allows quick setup and easy adjustment and take down.

      The double rings are attached to the cord leaving the hammock. It is
      very easy to thread the webbing through the rings which bind tightly
      when loaded. We used to make belts like this in the scouts. You pull
      on the loose end to raise the hammock, or loosen the webbing in the
      rings to lower. I used another ring at one end of the webbing to make
      a loose fit against the tree. (see photos in a new folder labeled
      Farpost).

      The only surprise with this setup came the first time when I sat on
      the hammock and was gently lowered all the way to the ground. The knot
      attaching the rings on the spectra cord was not locked and it simply
      pulled through.

      Because the loop around the tree has no force on it before attaching
      the hammock, it sometimes slides down while attaching the webbing to
      the rings. But, the looseness of this threading makes it pretty easy
      to move it back up to a proper height.

      The webbing I used came from REI, but is more expensive and heavier
      than that sold by Ed. The rings are aluminum and weight only 11 gm.
      Although the setup adds about half a pound to my kit over the regular
      tree huggers, the convenience is worth it to me.

      Farpost

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "curteisjuan" <curteisj@...> wrote:

      > Hi.
      >
      > I ordered webbing from Ed Speer and rings from REI. I am planing to use
      > this system for a quick setup of my hammock. I am trying to find
      > information from people who already are using the double ring system.
      > My question is: is it better to attach the rings to the end of the
      > webbing or somplace else along the webbing or is it better to leave
      > them unattached so I can move them up or down the webbing as the
      > situation arises?
      >
      > Thank you in advance,
      >
      > Curt aka Corsican

    • Fuzzy
      Message 121 of 121 , Aug 7 2:13 PM
        Well, y'all have been talkative over the past week. The last message I
        read before leaving was 14883. I've got some catching up to do.

        Fuzzy