Re: [Hammock Camping] How to properly hang a GI-style hammock?

  • jack_tier
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 23, 2006
      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "l0cus7" <l0cus7@...> wrote:

      > Hey Bill, thanks for the pictures... Okay, thanks for the tip with
      > the spreader bar for the roof - that makes sense. What I can't
      > figure out though is what's the best place to attach the outer
      ends
      > of the side ropes. In your pictures it looks like they attach back
      > to the hammock, but shouldn't they be used to tighten it somehow
      > instead?
      >

      > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Bill Fornshell
      > <bfornshell@> wrote:
      > >
      > > I have two orginal US Army Jungle Hammocks. Look
      > > here:
      > >
      > > http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v330/gardenville/Army%20Jungle%
      > 20Hammock/
      > >
      > > You will find a bunch of pictures of one of them
      > > hanging. I have replaced the tarp that came with it
      > > with a bigger tarp but there are pictures that show
      > > the orginal tarp with the hammock.
      > >
      > > Bill in Texas
      > >
      > > --- l0cus7 <l0cus7@> wrote:
      > >
      > > > Hey all... new here. Glad to see there's such an
      > > > awesome hammock community! :)
      > > >
      > > > I've got a Hennessy Expedition a-sym, and my
      > > > girlfriend just got herself a regular GI-style
      > > > jungle hammock. Well, we both tried figuring out the
      > > > best way to hang it, and came to the
      > > > conclusion that we're doing something wrong.
      > > > Basically, this is what we did:
      > > >
      > > > 1) tied the metal rings to the trees
      > > > 2) untied the knots on the outer ropes
      > > > 3) tied the outer ropes around the trees, tightening
      > > > the hammock
      > > > 4) used 6 other ropes to tie down the roof
      > > >
      > > > The hammock worked fine, but it took the two of us
      > > > almost 20 minutes to set it up, due to
      > > > the large number of tie-downs required. something's
      > > > clearly not right... can someone tell me
      > > > what we did wrong, and what's the best way to set up
      > > > a regular military jungle hammock? (it's
      > > > sort of similar to this):

      I used an M1965 for a couple of year and have infantry friends who
      have used this hammock for 30+ years....

      Couple points....First, take the two small speader pieces for the
      cords apart and using a super small rat tail file or emermy cloth
      debur and smooth each hole....if not you will get premature failure
      of a cord...even still inspect daily, if you find wear, isolate it
      with a loop and and over hand knot and drive on....replace the cord
      next town/trip.

      You can save a lot of weight by using an unsticher to remove the two
      stretcher sheeves...not needed back packing....same for the pocket
      on the bottom for the repair kit.... BTW, save the repair strips, if
      they are still with the hammock...just put one in your possibles
      bag...they come in handy for any nylon repair.

      Early models had an attached top...last 10 years or so the top is
      actually a separate fly....Replacing it with a silnyl tarp will
      increase coverage and decrease weight.

      Erection time is mostly a matter of practice and adaption to
      specific sites....3-4 minutes max is a reasonable goal for this
      hammock and a seperate tarp.

      After hanging the most important step for comfort is to adjust the
      continuous wove end cords to put the slack in the center and less on
      the sides....failure to take a few seconds to do this can sereously
      undermine the comfort....at least until you bounce and shift around
      hoping to find the sweet spot by making the hammock conform...better
      to conform it first.... most don't like too much bouncing or
      shifting in this hammock....NOTE this hammock is 32 inches wide vs
      the more popular 60 or even 48 inches models which allow for the off
      center laying or asym position....It is easy to flip or spill this
      hammock.... exercise caution.

      Pan