Re: States (state parks, state forests) that prohibit hammocks on trees

  • chcoa
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 16, 2006
      Hi Jan,

      I'm a bit behind in the messages so if someone else already posted
      this thought then ooops!!

      How about bringing a 4x4 post so you can tie up between your car and
      the post if you get into a spot where hammocking is not allowed?

      I have used this method and it works fine.

      I have also "slept" in a reclined vehicle seat and that is not fun.

      On a side note, welcome to AZ. If you are interested check out my
      website. I run the Canine Hiking Club of AZ, maybe there will be an
      upcoming event listed at some point that looks interesting for you
      and Duffy.

      http://www.mydog8az.com/k9hike.html

      Jamie D. in AZ

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Jan Mack Northcutt"
      <macnorth@...> wrote:

      > I'm preparing to relocate from Connecticut to Mesa, AZ. I'll be
      driving myself and my small dog "Duffy" and sleeping in my HH Exp
      Asym along the way. I've plotted an itinerary with a list of state
      park campgrounds along my route. I've already confirmed that these
      campgrounds accept pets, and that they have trees. But I wonder if
      I'm going to run into opposition to hanging my hammock?

      > I looked at the state park list in Ed's newsletter but there's not
      much to go on. Does anyone know if tree-hanging is NOT ALLOWED in
      state-run campgrounds where I plan to spend the night?
      > The states are: PA, OH, IN, MO, OK, TX, NM
      >
      > If I can't hang my hammock, I don't know what I'll do! I could
      spend the night in my car (tiny & overstuffed) with the seat-back
      lowered... or stay in a motel... but I won't get a RESTFUL SLEEP in
      either!
      > -- Even if I tie one end of the hammock to my car, I imagine I'll
      be miserable (and sleepless) if I have to 'bivy' on the hard
      ground.

      > -- I'm not a backpacker so I'm not disposed to carrying gear up a
      trail any distance.

      > -- I need to be where there is "safety in numbers" because I'm "a
      woman traveling alone"; my lap dog's barks & growls might give an
      intruder pause but he's no 'guard dog'! Stealth camping is out of
      the question.

      > -- And I'm SPOILED by hammocking! I've been sleeping in a hammock
      nearly every night since 2003 (first a Mayan string hammock hung
      inside, and since April the HH in various back-yards). It's PAINFUL
      to (try to) sleep on a flat, rigid surface like the ground or a bed.
      In fact, it was the aches and stiffness from sleeping in a bed --
      and getting off the bed in the morning -- that drove me to try
      sleeping in a hammock in the first place.