Re: [Hammock Camping] States (state parks, state forests) that prohibit hammocks on trees

  • Scot Leibacher
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 13, 2006
      Jan,
      I live in Indiana and our Scout Troop has camped in many of the
      State Parks in the central and northern part of the state. The IN State Park's
      official stance is that you cannot tie anything to trees. You can always try
      the "put-up after dark, take down early approach" and have an alternate
      plan if asked to take-down. Since we have been with Scouts I have usually
      asked at checkin. I have hade several Park Rangers interested in the hammock
      but still unbendable on the rule. They are, of course, concerned with damage to
      trees cause by people handing clothes lines, tarps, dining flies, etc. I don't
      think they have had enough exposure to hammock campers here yet to
      allow exceptions.

      Depending on the route you are taking through Indiana (I-70?) there
      are KOA campgrounds that don't seem to mind... put you may have to be
      walk around the campsites to be selective of one with trees the right size and distance
      apart.

      I ran into a case near the Everglades in a Florida State Park where they
      would not permit hammocks because of a type of plant life that grows
      on tree park that is eaten by an endangered snail.