Re: [Hammock Camping] Gear List for 100 Mile Wilderness Hike - Rick

  • Bill Fornshell
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 10 8:31 AM
      Rick,
      I think you were lucky with your injury. If you can
      get back in the woods for some short walks and maybe
      back for longer hikes in 6 weeks isn't to bad.

      I face many of the same problems. My medical
      follow-up's are getting farther apart so a 2 to 4 week
      hike is getting closer. The distance up to Maine from
      here in Texas is about 2500+ miles one way. Doesn't
      seem realistic for just a couple of weeks. It is even
      1200 miles one way to Springer Mtn. I am thinking
      about going up to Springer Mtn and doing the Benton
      Mackaye Trail (BMT) - Duncan Ridge Trail - AT (near
      Blood Mtn) back to Springer Mtn. loop sometime
      mid-Sept/first of Oct. Not that many miles but the
      hike would be sort of easy - difficult - sort of easy.
      It would give me a chance to try out a couple of my
      new hammocks and a few of my other MYOG stuff.

      I really want to do the BMT from Springer Mtn up to
      its end at Davenport Gap and then return south back to
      Springer Mtn on the AT. This is about a 470 mile +/-
      loop and would be a great test of my new conditioning
      program and my gear. I expect it would take something
      less than 40 days for the round trip.

      When I lived in Dahlonega, Ga and was maintaining the
      first section of the BMT at Springer Mtn going north I
      was out several times most every month working on my
      section or one of the other sections of the trail. It
      was nice watching the seasons change with the trees
      and wild flowers. It was a bonus when we got some
      snow. Everything changed with a clean white coat of
      snow on it.

      As for completing the AT, goals change over time. I
      have always wanted to do an AT Thru-Hike. Finding 4
      or 5 months for something like that is really hard. I
      live so far away from the AT now that doing it in
      sections is a long drive. For now the best I can
      expect is to try and find 2 to 4 week periods several
      times a year when I can get up to the AT.

      I looked over your gear list. I have tried to hike in
      some of the different sandals but have found that as I
      have gotten older I need more foot and ankle support.
      I have some Salomon Tech Amphibian's that I may carry
      for the times I know I will be in a lot of water but I
      still hang onto to my TNF Ultra 103's for the foot
      support they give me.
      I am thinking about getting a pair of TNF Hedgehog's.
      They have many of the same features as the 103's but
      the Hedgehog has a more aggressive sole. I wear a
      size 11 and the weight is about 18oz each for both of
      the TNF shoe styles.

      Bill in Texas

      http://mail.yahoo.com