Re: [Hammock Camping] Marta sighting in Maine!

    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 8 7:34 AM
      Ed,

      Thanks for your good wishes. It is good to have friends - really good.

      Going in, I knew that the 100 mile wilderness is only somewhat remote.
      Like much of the trail, it is a little bit of an illusion that we are
      deep in the woods. The parking guide for the segment lists a number of
      places where one can park near the trail and do much of it in day hike
      sections...

      Within 10 minutes of my fall I had determined to walk south to the
      railroad crossing that I had passed at mile 104.5. Then I would walk
      the railbed to a road someplace south of the trail. But fortunately, I
      ran across two hikers with a map, and was able to trade a mile of trail
      walking for some gravel road walking. (The trail was much slower going
      for me than the gravel road.)

      I fell between Wilson Valley Lean-to and Long Pond Stream Lean-to,
      probably about mile 101.5 in the 2005 set of distances from K. I had to
      walk back to the old logging road at mile 103.5 and then a mile to a
      more used gravel road, and then two miles on that road until I reached
      the bridge that crosses Big Wilson Stream. It was there that I had been
      able to arrange for the good people at Shaw's Boarding House to meet me.

      About being a couch potato, I assume you must be joking. One of today's
      tasks is to hang my hammock back up in the room that Diane and I
      affectionately call the "hammock room." Maybe I will help to define the
      "hammock potato" syndrome.

      Rick