Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: Top Ten Questions

Expand Messages
  • jonas4321
    ... helps anyone ... Sorry, should have made my more obvious. This was intended as a half-joke. For me, reading everything I could, starting with Allen
    Message 1 of 22 , Jul 5, 2006
    • 0 Attachment
      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Scott Macri" <hacktorious@...>
      wrote:
      >
      > I don't think giving an answer like, "try for yourself " really
      helps anyone
      > though. I would expect they are looking for actual suggestions.

      Sorry, should have made my <grin> more obvious. This was intended as a
      half-joke.

      For me, reading everything I could, starting with Allen Leigh's
      article (http://www.shire.net/mormon/hammock.html), then Ed Speer's
      fantastic book, then Risk's website (if Jeff's site had been around
      when I got into hammock camping, I would have devoured it, too).

      I then joined the list here and over on WhiteBlaze.net, searched the
      archives and read everything I could.

      THEN I ordered my first hammock (a Marina Double nylon mesh hammock)
      and "tried for myself". That was over 3 years ago and, 5 hammocks
      later, I am still reading everything I can, and trying out ideas that
      others present, and a few of my own as I fiddle with design,
      equipment, locations, responding to weather conditions, etc.

      My point was that no matter what the advice or suggestion, I think
      that the most important thing is to try things out for yourself BEFORE
      you need them to be comfortable in the woods.

      You may not find this helpful by itself, but it is the only piece of
      advice I ever heard that applies to ALL the other suggestions. Others
      have done a great job with those suggestions, so my contribution was
      what I felt was most valuable to me.

      So, the joke- no matter what anyone tells you works for them, it's
      still going to come down to "try for yourself". Hammock camping is the
      most personalized, custom activity I have ever encountered. That is
      one of the things that makes it most enjoyable for me.

      That and the comfortable night's sleep <grin>.
    • Dick Matthews
      It took three nights in the hammock to get it and become more comfortable than on the ground. Some people like them after their first use. Some people will
      Message 2 of 22 , Jul 5, 2006
      • 0 Attachment
        It took three nights in the hammock to "get it" and become more
        comfortable than on the ground. Some people like them after their first
        use. Some people will never find the comfort that we enjoy.

        The results of a survey on number of uses to comfort would be useful.
        My guess is that it would be a classic bell shaped curve.

        Dick Matthews


        jonas4321 wrote:

        >--- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Scott Macri" <hacktorious@...>
        >wrote:
        >
        >
        >>I don't think giving an answer like, "try for yourself " really
        >>
        >>
        >helps anyone
        >
        >
        >>though. I would expect they are looking for actual suggestions.
        >>
        >>
        >
        >Sorry, should have made my <grin> more obvious. This was intended as a
        >half-joke.
        >
        >For me, reading everything I could, starting with Allen Leigh's
        >article (http://www.shire.net/mormon/hammock.html), then Ed Speer's
        >fantastic book, then Risk's website (if Jeff's site had been around
        >when I got into hammock camping, I would have devoured it, too).
        >
        >I then joined the list here and over on WhiteBlaze.net, searched the
        >archives and read everything I could.
        >
        >THEN I ordered my first hammock (a Marina Double nylon mesh hammock)
        >and "tried for myself". That was over 3 years ago and, 5 hammocks
        >later, I am still reading everything I can, and trying out ideas that
        >others present, and a few of my own as I fiddle with design,
        >equipment, locations, responding to weather conditions, etc.
        >
        >My point was that no matter what the advice or suggestion, I think
        >that the most important thing is to try things out for yourself BEFORE
        >you need them to be comfortable in the woods.
        >
        >You may not find this helpful by itself, but it is the only piece of
        >advice I ever heard that applies to ALL the other suggestions. Others
        >have done a great job with those suggestions, so my contribution was
        >what I felt was most valuable to me.
        >
        >So, the joke- no matter what anyone tells you works for them, it's
        >still going to come down to "try for yourself". Hammock camping is the
        >most personalized, custom activity I have ever encountered. That is
        >one of the things that makes it most enjoyable for me.
        >
        >That and the comfortable night's sleep <grin>.
        >
        >
        >
        >
        >



        [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
      • Scott
        Maybe I m missing something? I only saw 7 questions on your page... is there a second part somewhere else? Still, this is some great info and has given me
        Message 3 of 22 , Jul 5, 2006
        • 0 Attachment
          Maybe I'm missing something? I only saw 7 questions on your page...
          is there a second part somewhere else? Still, this is some great info
          and has given me ideas for things I'd never thought about!

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff" <jwj32542@...> wrote:
          >
          > That's what I tried to do with my page. More than ten questions,
          > though.
          >
          > http://www.tothewoods.net/HammockCamping.html
        • Dave Womble
          ... I ve never thought of it that way, but I believe you are right and that is probably the best way to explain it because what one person may love another
          Message 4 of 22 , Jul 5, 2006
          • 0 Attachment
            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "jonas4321" <jonas4321@...>
            wrote:
            >...Hammock camping is the most personalized, custom activity I have
            > ever encountered...


            I've never thought of it that way, but I believe you are right and that
            is probably the best way to explain it because what one person may love
            another person may not like at all and vice versa.

            Dave
          • Bill in Houston
            Those are really good. I was also thinking about the typical questions What kind of hammock should I buy? and How will I know if I will like it? Bill in
            Message 5 of 22 , Jul 5, 2006
            • 0 Attachment
              Those are really good. I was also thinking about the typical
              questions "What kind of hammock should I buy?" and "How will I know if
              I will like it?"

              Bill in Houston

              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff" <jwj32542@...> wrote:
              >
              > That's what I tried to do with my page. More than ten questions,
              > though.
              >
              > http://www.tothewoods.net/HammockCamping.html
              >
              > I'd have to echo Youngblood, though - Ed's book is a great place to
              > start.
              >
              > Jeff
              >
            • Mark Bayern
              How will I know if I will like it? When you wake up the next morning and realize you actually had a good nights sleep, no problems with rocks, roots, or rain
              Message 6 of 22 , Jul 5, 2006
              • 0 Attachment
                "How will I know if I will like it?"

                When you wake up the next morning and realize you actually had a good nights
                sleep, no problems with rocks, roots, or rain water...


                [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
              • Jeff
                ... Haha - no. I wasn t even thinking about the questions on the first page...I was just thinking about all the topics covered (pads, underquilts, tarps,
                Message 7 of 22 , Jul 5, 2006
                • 0 Attachment
                  --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Scott" <scotth61@...> wrote:
                  >
                  > Maybe I'm missing something? I only saw 7 questions on your page...
                  > is there a second part somewhere else?

                  Haha - no. I wasn't even thinking about the questions on the first
                  page...I was just thinking about all the topics covered (pads,
                  underquilts, tarps, bivies, site selection, storage, etc). Forgot I
                  had even framed the front page as questions!
                • jonas4321
                  ... Uh, oh. *I* thought of something that DAVE WOMBLE never thought of? Either I ll be receiving an Ice Skating Party invitation from the devil, or someone
                  Message 8 of 22 , Jul 6, 2006
                  • 0 Attachment
                    --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Womble" <dpwomble@...> wrote:
                    >
                    > I've never thought of it that way

                    Uh, oh.

                    *I* thought of something that DAVE WOMBLE never thought of?

                    Either I'll be receiving an Ice Skating Party invitation from the
                    devil, or someone else is about to return!

                    <grin>

                    Sorry, Dave, it's just that I have learned SO much for your posts over
                    the years, it was a surprise to read that. You made my day!

                    Jonas

                    ps- I still feel like a newbie...
                  Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.