Re: [Hammock Camping] Hammocker killed by lightning

  • Scott Macri
    Message 1 of 43 , Jul 4, 2006
      Sorry to hear that......

      Nice slide show. It looks like he had a very fulfilling life, and enjoyed
      it when he could..

      On 7/4/06, Gregg Martell <gmartell@...> wrote:

      > In a HH, follow the slide link posted in this message from another
      > group - Gregg
      >
      > From: "Larrie Sutliff" <sutliff@... <sutliff%40att.net>>
      > Subject: [TowerTalk] Lightening Death: SK Al Emer N2YAC
      > To: "TowerTalk" <towertalk@... <towertalk%40contesting.com>>
      >
      > For those of you that remember Al, he was one of the
      > greatest amateur radio operators when it came to
      > Satellite and NASA shuttle communications.
      > Here's a slide show of what other hobbies he had....
      > http://photos.yahoo.com/ph/allenemer/slideshow?.dir=/cbf4&.src=ph
      >
      > I am sorry to report this story from the Press is about our long time
      > friend Al Emer N2YAC; he gave a lot to amateur radio and he will
      > missed. He will not be waked.
      >
      > Holmdel-area man dies after being struck by lightning
      >
      > Officials: He fell asleep in hammock during storm
      >
      > Posted by the Asbury Park Press on 06/25/06
      > BY CHAD WEIHRAUCH
      > GANNETT NEW JERSEY
      >
      > CLINTON TOWNSHIP - A 59-year-old camper died at Round Valley
      > Reservoir, apparently after he was struck by lightning while resting
      > in a hammock, officials said.
      >
      > Police were still investigating the incident Saturday night.
      >
      > Deputy Chief Sam DeBella of the Hunterdon County Prosecutor's Office
      > identified the victim only as a man from the Holmdel area. He was in
      > the park kayaking Friday during the day and remained to camp
      > overnight. At some point, he fell asleep Friday night or Saturday in
      > a hammock anchored to several trees, police said.
      >
      > Several fierce storms moved through Central Jersey during that period.
      >
      > "It appears from what we can tell at this point that lightning struck
      > the tree, struck the ground and hit him," DeBella said.
      >
      > Officials said they were unsure who discovered the victim, but
      > DeBella said he was not camping alone.

    • Coy
      Message 43 of 43 , Jul 4, 2006
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Gregg Martell <gmartell@...>
        wrote:

        > In a HH, follow the slide link posted in this message from another
        > group - Gregg
        >
        > From: "Larrie Sutliff" <sutliff@...>
        > Subject: [TowerTalk] Lightening Death: SK Al Emer N2YAC
        > To: "TowerTalk" <towertalk@...>
        >
        > For those of you that remember Al, he was one of the
        > greatest amateur radio operators when it came to
        > Satellite and NASA shuttle communications.
        > Here's a slide show of what other hobbies he had....
        > http://photos.yahoo.com/ph/allenemer/slideshow?.dir=/cbf4&.src=ph

        Looks like he led a full life. and not to make lite of his
        passing...On the slide show. In pic 5, did that dog look scared?
        and in pic 6, how did the airplane disapear? you have to let the
        slide show run. if you change to each pic the plane will not
        disapear.

        Coy Boy