Re: Top Ten Questions

  • Jeff
    Message 1 of 22 , Jul 4, 2006
      That's what I tried to do with my page. More than ten questions,
      though.

      http://www.tothewoods.net/HammockCamping.html

      I'd have to echo Youngblood, though - Ed's book is a great place to
      start.

      Jeff
    • Scott Macri
      Message 2 of 22 , Jul 4, 2006
        Nice work.

        I actually read that site before. It has been a while so I am going to
        re-read it.

        On 7/4/06, Jeff <jwj32542@...> wrote:

        > That's what I tried to do with my page. More than ten questions,
        > though.
        >
        > http://www.tothewoods.net/HammockCamping.html
        >
        > I'd have to echo Youngblood, though - Ed's book is a great place to
        > start.
        >
        > Jeff

      • jonas4321
        Message 3 of 22 , Jul 5, 2006
          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Scott Macri" <hacktorious@...>
          wrote:

          > I don't think giving an answer like, "try for yourself " really
          helps anyone
          > though. I would expect they are looking for actual suggestions.

          Sorry, should have made my <grin> more obvious. This was intended as a
          half-joke.

          For me, reading everything I could, starting with Allen Leigh's
          article (http://www.shire.net/mormon/hammock.html), then Ed Speer's
          fantastic book, then Risk's website (if Jeff's site had been around
          when I got into hammock camping, I would have devoured it, too).

          I then joined the list here and over on WhiteBlaze.net, searched the
          archives and read everything I could.

          THEN I ordered my first hammock (a Marina Double nylon mesh hammock)
          and "tried for myself". That was over 3 years ago and, 5 hammocks
          later, I am still reading everything I can, and trying out ideas that
          others present, and a few of my own as I fiddle with design,
          equipment, locations, responding to weather conditions, etc.

          My point was that no matter what the advice or suggestion, I think
          that the most important thing is to try things out for yourself BEFORE
          you need them to be comfortable in the woods.

          You may not find this helpful by itself, but it is the only piece of
          advice I ever heard that applies to ALL the other suggestions. Others
          have done a great job with those suggestions, so my contribution was
          what I felt was most valuable to me.

          So, the joke- no matter what anyone tells you works for them, it's
          still going to come down to "try for yourself". Hammock camping is the
          most personalized, custom activity I have ever encountered. That is
          one of the things that makes it most enjoyable for me.

          That and the comfortable night's sleep <grin>.
        • Dick Matthews
          Message 4 of 22 , Jul 5, 2006
            It took three nights in the hammock to "get it" and become more
            comfortable than on the ground. Some people like them after their first
            use. Some people will never find the comfort that we enjoy.

            The results of a survey on number of uses to comfort would be useful.
            My guess is that it would be a classic bell shaped curve.

            Dick Matthews

            jonas4321 wrote:

            >--- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Scott Macri" <hacktorious@...>
            >wrote:
            >

            >>I don't think giving an answer like, "try for yourself " really
            >>

            >helps anyone
            >

            >>though. I would expect they are looking for actual suggestions.
            >>

            >Sorry, should have made my <grin> more obvious. This was intended as a
            >half-joke.
            >
            >For me, reading everything I could, starting with Allen Leigh's
            >article (http://www.shire.net/mormon/hammock.html), then Ed Speer's
            >fantastic book, then Risk's website (if Jeff's site had been around
            >when I got into hammock camping, I would have devoured it, too).
            >
            >I then joined the list here and over on WhiteBlaze.net, searched the
            >archives and read everything I could.
            >
            >THEN I ordered my first hammock (a Marina Double nylon mesh hammock)
            >and "tried for myself". That was over 3 years ago and, 5 hammocks
            >later, I am still reading everything I can, and trying out ideas that
            >others present, and a few of my own as I fiddle with design,
            >equipment, locations, responding to weather conditions, etc.
            >
            >My point was that no matter what the advice or suggestion, I think
            >that the most important thing is to try things out for yourself BEFORE
            >you need them to be comfortable in the woods.
            >
            >You may not find this helpful by itself, but it is the only piece of
            >advice I ever heard that applies to ALL the other suggestions. Others
            >have done a great job with those suggestions, so my contribution was
            >what I felt was most valuable to me.
            >
            >So, the joke- no matter what anyone tells you works for them, it's
            >still going to come down to "try for yourself". Hammock camping is the
            >most personalized, custom activity I have ever encountered. That is
            >one of the things that makes it most enjoyable for me.
            >
            >That and the comfortable night's sleep <grin>.

          • Scott
            Message 5 of 22 , Jul 5, 2006
              Maybe I'm missing something? I only saw 7 questions on your page...
              is there a second part somewhere else? Still, this is some great info
              and has given me ideas for things I'd never thought about!

              Message 6 of 22 , Jul 5, 2006
                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "jonas4321" <jonas4321@...>
                wrote:
                >...Hammock camping is the most personalized, custom activity I have
                > ever encountered...

                I've never thought of it that way, but I believe you are right and that
                is probably the best way to explain it because what one person may love
                another person may not like at all and vice versa.

                Dave
              • Bill in Houston
                Message 7 of 22 , Jul 5, 2006
                  Those are really good. I was also thinking about the typical
                  questions "What kind of hammock should I buy?" and "How will I know if
                  I will like it?"

                  Bill in Houston

                  > That's what I tried to do with my page. More than ten questions,
                  > though.
                  >
                  > http://www.tothewoods.net/HammockCamping.html
                  >
                  > I'd have to echo Youngblood, though - Ed's book is a great place to
                  > start.
                  >
                  > Jeff

                • Mark Bayern
                  Message 8 of 22 , Jul 5, 2006
                    "How will I know if I will like it?"

                    When you wake up the next morning and realize you actually had a good nights
                    sleep, no problems with rocks, roots, or rain water...

                  • Jeff
                    Message 9 of 22 , Jul 5, 2006
                      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Scott" <scotth61@...> wrote:

                      > Maybe I'm missing something? I only saw 7 questions on your page...
                      > is there a second part somewhere else?

                      Haha - no. I wasn't even thinking about the questions on the first
                      page...I was just thinking about all the topics covered (pads,
                      underquilts, tarps, bivies, site selection, storage, etc). Forgot I
                      had even framed the front page as questions!
                    • jonas4321
                      Message 10 of 22 , Jul 6, 2006

                        > I've never thought of it that way

                        Uh, oh.

                        *I* thought of something that DAVE WOMBLE never thought of?

                        Either I'll be receiving an Ice Skating Party invitation from the
                        devil, or someone else is about to return!

                        <grin>

                        Sorry, Dave, it's just that I have learned SO much for your posts over
                        the years, it was a surprise to read that. You made my day!

                        Jonas

                        ps- I still feel like a newbie...