Re: Top Ten Questions (was Will Hennessy Trade)

  • Bill in Houston
    Message 1 of 22 , Jul 4, 2006
      Heh heh, exactly. That is what I am trying to avoid. Make the
      effort one time to put down 10 or 20 newbie tips and links.

      Bill in Houston

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "jonas4321" <jonas4321@...>
      wrote:

      > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Bill in Houston"
      > <zippydooda@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Something like a top ten list of answers to newbie questions
      might
      > > be helpful...
      >
      > I've often thought of this, and it seems to me like it would read
      thusly-

      > Q: "What kind of hammock is best?"
      > A: "Try for yourself."
      >
      > Q: "How much sag is required?"
      > A: "Try for yourself."
      >
      > Q: "What will keep me warm?"
      > A: "Try for yourself."

      > <grin>. <<<==-- please note the tongue in cheek before flaming.
      >
      > Have a very nice Independance Day, everyone!
      >
      > Jonas

    • Scott Macri
      Message 2 of 22 , Jul 4, 2006
        I don't think giving an answer like, "try for yourself " really helps anyone
        though. I would expect they are looking for actual suggestions.

        =

        Message 3 of 22 , Jul 4, 2006
          Ed Speer's book on Hammock Camping is a great place to start.

          Youngblood

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Scott Macri" <hacktorious@...>
          wrote:

          > I don't think giving an answer like, "try for yourself " really helps
          anyone
          > though. I would expect they are looking for actual suggestions.

        • Jeff
          Message 4 of 22 , Jul 4, 2006
            That's what I tried to do with my page. More than ten questions,
            though.

            http://www.tothewoods.net/HammockCamping.html

            I'd have to echo Youngblood, though - Ed's book is a great place to
            start.

            Jeff
          • Scott Macri
            Message 5 of 22 , Jul 4, 2006
              Nice work.

              I actually read that site before. It has been a while so I am going to
              re-read it.

              On 7/4/06, Jeff <jwj32542@...> wrote:

              > That's what I tried to do with my page. More than ten questions,
              > though.
              >
              > http://www.tothewoods.net/HammockCamping.html
              >
              > I'd have to echo Youngblood, though - Ed's book is a great place to
              > start.
              >
              > Jeff

            • jonas4321
              Message 6 of 22 , Jul 5, 2006
                wrote:

                > I don't think giving an answer like, "try for yourself " really
                helps anyone
                > though. I would expect they are looking for actual suggestions.

                Sorry, should have made my <grin> more obvious. This was intended as a
                half-joke.

                For me, reading everything I could, starting with Allen Leigh's
                article (http://www.shire.net/mormon/hammock.html), then Ed Speer's
                fantastic book, then Risk's website (if Jeff's site had been around
                when I got into hammock camping, I would have devoured it, too).

                I then joined the list here and over on WhiteBlaze.net, searched the
                archives and read everything I could.

                THEN I ordered my first hammock (a Marina Double nylon mesh hammock)
                and "tried for myself". That was over 3 years ago and, 5 hammocks
                later, I am still reading everything I can, and trying out ideas that
                others present, and a few of my own as I fiddle with design,
                equipment, locations, responding to weather conditions, etc.

                My point was that no matter what the advice or suggestion, I think
                that the most important thing is to try things out for yourself BEFORE
                you need them to be comfortable in the woods.

                You may not find this helpful by itself, but it is the only piece of
                advice I ever heard that applies to ALL the other suggestions. Others
                have done a great job with those suggestions, so my contribution was
                what I felt was most valuable to me.

                So, the joke- no matter what anyone tells you works for them, it's
                still going to come down to "try for yourself". Hammock camping is the
                most personalized, custom activity I have ever encountered. That is
                one of the things that makes it most enjoyable for me.

                That and the comfortable night's sleep <grin>.
              • Dick Matthews
                Message 7 of 22 , Jul 5, 2006
                  It took three nights in the hammock to "get it" and become more
                  comfortable than on the ground. Some people like them after their first
                  use. Some people will never find the comfort that we enjoy.

                  The results of a survey on number of uses to comfort would be useful.
                  My guess is that it would be a classic bell shaped curve.

                  Dick Matthews

                  jonas4321 wrote:

                  >--- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Scott Macri" <hacktorious@...>
                  >wrote:
                  >

                  >>I don't think giving an answer like, "try for yourself " really
                  >>

                  >helps anyone
                  >

                  >>though. I would expect they are looking for actual suggestions.
                  >>

                  >Sorry, should have made my <grin> more obvious. This was intended as a
                  >half-joke.
                  >
                  >For me, reading everything I could, starting with Allen Leigh's
                  >article (http://www.shire.net/mormon/hammock.html), then Ed Speer's
                  >fantastic book, then Risk's website (if Jeff's site had been around
                  >when I got into hammock camping, I would have devoured it, too).
                  >
                  >I then joined the list here and over on WhiteBlaze.net, searched the
                  >archives and read everything I could.
                  >
                  >THEN I ordered my first hammock (a Marina Double nylon mesh hammock)
                  >and "tried for myself". That was over 3 years ago and, 5 hammocks
                  >later, I am still reading everything I can, and trying out ideas that
                  >others present, and a few of my own as I fiddle with design,
                  >equipment, locations, responding to weather conditions, etc.
                  >
                  >My point was that no matter what the advice or suggestion, I think
                  >that the most important thing is to try things out for yourself BEFORE
                  >you need them to be comfortable in the woods.
                  >
                  >You may not find this helpful by itself, but it is the only piece of
                  >advice I ever heard that applies to ALL the other suggestions. Others
                  >have done a great job with those suggestions, so my contribution was
                  >what I felt was most valuable to me.
                  >
                  >So, the joke- no matter what anyone tells you works for them, it's
                  >still going to come down to "try for yourself". Hammock camping is the
                  >most personalized, custom activity I have ever encountered. That is
                  >one of the things that makes it most enjoyable for me.
                  >
                  >That and the comfortable night's sleep <grin>.

                • Scott
                  Message 8 of 22 , Jul 5, 2006
                    Maybe I'm missing something? I only saw 7 questions on your page...
                    is there a second part somewhere else? Still, this is some great info
                    and has given me ideas for things I'd never thought about!

                    Message 9 of 22 , Jul 5, 2006
                      wrote:
                      >...Hammock camping is the most personalized, custom activity I have
                      > ever encountered...

                      I've never thought of it that way, but I believe you are right and that
                      is probably the best way to explain it because what one person may love
                      another person may not like at all and vice versa.

                      Dave
                    • Bill in Houston
                      Message 10 of 22 , Jul 5, 2006
                        Those are really good. I was also thinking about the typical
                        questions "What kind of hammock should I buy?" and "How will I know if
                        I will like it?"

                        Bill in Houston

                        > That's what I tried to do with my page. More than ten questions,
                        > though.
                        >
                        > http://www.tothewoods.net/HammockCamping.html
                        >
                        > I'd have to echo Youngblood, though - Ed's book is a great place to
                        > start.
                        >
                        > Jeff

                      • Mark Bayern
                        Message 11 of 22 , Jul 5, 2006
                          "How will I know if I will like it?"

                          When you wake up the next morning and realize you actually had a good nights
                          sleep, no problems with rocks, roots, or rain water...

                        • Jeff
                          Message 12 of 22 , Jul 5, 2006
                            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Scott" <scotth61@...> wrote:

                            > Maybe I'm missing something? I only saw 7 questions on your page...
                            > is there a second part somewhere else?

                            Haha - no. I wasn't even thinking about the questions on the first
                            page...I was just thinking about all the topics covered (pads,
                            underquilts, tarps, bivies, site selection, storage, etc). Forgot I
                            had even framed the front page as questions!
                          • jonas4321
                            Message 13 of 22 , Jul 6, 2006

                              > I've never thought of it that way

                              Uh, oh.

                              *I* thought of something that DAVE WOMBLE never thought of?

                              Either I'll be receiving an Ice Skating Party invitation from the
                              devil, or someone else is about to return!

                              <grin>

                              Sorry, Dave, it's just that I have learned SO much for your posts over
                              the years, it was a surprise to read that. You made my day!

                              Jonas

                              ps- I still feel like a newbie...